Helmet Brands, Who to avoid?

Wicked

I've been using my buddy's helmet he bought for tracking his car and never used. I've been looking at helmets online to get reviews, pricing, designs, etc. My question is this, is there any brand(s) I should avoid? I want a good helmet, but I'm also not wanting to drop several hundred at the moment, saw a few with msrp $800+... Scorpion and Shoei seem to have great reviews and I've seen many members mention them. There is a GMax helmet that caught my eye, anyone have experience with them?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first helmet was a GMAX. It had a light on the back that would flash. It was a fairly decent helmet but after a while, I had some trouble with the light. Other than that it's still a good helmet. I still have it in my closet in case I need a back up. The next one I bought was an Icon Alliance SSR in black rubbatone. Love that helmet. I bought the Yellow Hi-Viz version of that helmet and that's what I rock right now. I love my Icon helmet.

Icon, Bell, Scorpion, Shark, Arai, Sumoy, Shoei and many others are good brands. The more expensive the helmets get the better the noise cancellation and lighter the helmet gets. Buy one based on comfort and certification (my personal preference is ECE 22.05 and Snell2010) and then you can figure out how much you want to spend. How much are you looking to spend? Don't forget this is your head we are talking about, its the least likely to heal well after a crash (I am not saying you must buy an $800 shoei; just saying don't skimp and get a $20 no-name because its DOT certified)

I have a Shoei RF-1000 and love it. It's very comfortable, has adjustable/replaceable pads (if needed), visor adjustment/removal is simple, effective, and easy, and the ventilation works well. Nice thing is, you can probably find a good deal on them since Shoei is selling the RF-1100 now.

Unfortunately, I also got to crash test it two weeks ago. I low-sided and nailed my head pretty hard on the pavement after rolling about 15 feet. The helmet held-up beautifully, and while I knew I hit hard, it seemed like it was nothing. All I had to cope with was some pretty heavy whip-lash for the next several days.

So yeah, definite thumbs up for Shoei from me.

Either way, I highly suggest making the trip out to some shops and try on the different helmets first and see what seems to fit you best. imprez55 pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Edited by BonkerS

HJC is coming around. There bottom brands are still bottom of the barrel, but there new RPS or whatever the Spies replicas are on are pretty close to top of the line i'd say in comparison with that of agv, suomy, shoei etc...

back in the day... Bell only. Too expensive now.

I like Nolan and Scorpion. And I'm sure the Shoei is worth the extra money I won't spend.

Both Nolan and Scorpion (the ones I've looked at) are polycarbonate instead of fiberglass, and can get banged up and dropped without ruining the shell. The interior foam is sometimes damaged, which does degrade performance instead. The bad news, polycarbonate is heavier than fiberglass.

edit: Reviews I've read say you get a lot for your money with the Scorpions. The review liked the EX-400.

New helmet safety rating system (SHARP) review at webbikeworld with helmet ratings.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/sharp-helmet-rating-system.htm

From what I can see, certain model helmets should be avoided. Helmet brand names generally aren't the deciding factor.

Exceptions are: CMS, KBC, NZI, Schuberth, and Harley-Davidson helmets have nothing to offer on the list.

Some of these are Euro helmets. Some helmets have multiple brand names.

Edited by ReconRat

back in the day... Bell only. Too expensive now.

I like Nolan and Scorpion. And I'm sure the Shoei is worth the extra money I won't spend.

Both Nolan and Scorpion (the ones I've looked at) are polycarbonate instead of fiberglass, and can get banged up and dropped without ruining the shell. The interior foam is sometimes damaged, which does degrade performance instead. The bad news, polycarbonate is heavier than fiberglass.

edit: Reviews I've read say you get a lot for your money with the Scorpions. The review liked the EX-400.

Agreed, Love Nolans.

And FYI I picked up a Bell Star for $250 shipped. Best helmet I've tried on so far. Deals are out there if you find a model that fits well.

Only problem I have with trying on, is that there are only 3 shops I know of out here around Dayton. Middletown Cycle pretty much only has Scorpion and Bell. Vista Kawi is Bell/HJC/Scorpion, and I have yet to go to Competition Accessories in Springfield. Most of the helmets are S/M for some reason. Hardly any XL and only 1 or 2 L.

Agreed, Love Nolans.

And FYI I picked up a Bell Star for $250 shipped. Best helmet I've tried on so far. Deals are out there if you find a model that fits well.

I just noticed that all models of BELL helmets on the new SHARP safety rating system are listed as the max 5 star. It's what I would expect from a helmet manufacturer that used to make all the military helmets. Buell (one listed) and Caberg helmets are also maxed out.

edit: I would do $250 to have a BELL again.

Edited by ReconRat

I just noticed that all models of BELL helmets on the new SHARP safety rating system are listed as the max 5 star. It's what I would expect from a helmet manufacturer that used to make all the military helmets. Buell (one listed) and Caberg helmets are also maxed out.

edit: I would do $250 to have a BELL again.

I love my Caberg, I just wish you could still get them in the States. Another vote for Nolans too. My snowmobile helmet is a Nolan rebranded as a BRP. Both have build sun visors, an absolute must for any helmet I will buy in the future.

I have a exo 700 and i like it. Kinda loud but only paid $250. the pads are replaceable too. the newer scorpion helmets (not the exo 400) have a system built in that you can "pump" the helmet to make it fit tighter, like the old pump shoes. Kinda of a cool system and the price is still the same i believe.

Once you know what fits and works, there are helmets sales on line everywhere.

Usually it's last years model, or even the year before.

I like motorcyclegear.com, which is the old newenough.com

I picked up a nice new Scorpion EX-400 in Med for 49 bucks there.

As a spare passenger helmet to have around.

edit: Found one on closeout. Scorpion EX-400 for 49 bucks, XL, XXL and XXXL only. All others sold out.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/scorpion/exo_400_scar_motorcycle_helmet.html

They also have a Scorpion EX-700 on closeout for 129 bucks, that's cheaper than an EX-400 at most places.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/scorpion/exo_700_predator_motorcycle_helmet.html

Edited by ReconRat

i wore cheap helmets and had no problem with them....then i bought a good helmet and will NEVER go back.

shoei rf-1100 was the most comfortable helmet i ever wore...made my KBC, HCJ, and Bell all feel like trash.....i am a diehard shoei fan from the moment i put one on

buy a good helmet, you wont regret it....lighter and more aerodynamic the helmet is, the more your neck will thank you on longer rides

I have owned and Arai, then picked up a scorpion. There was no difference in noise or comfort. As for weight, I never noticed a difference if there was much of one. I just have a hard time paying $400+ for a helmet you may only use once. A good quality helmet will meet the same safety requirements and function the same as a more expensive helmet.

I have owned and Arai, then picked up a scorpion. There was no difference in noise or comfort. As for weight, I never noticed a difference if there was much of one. I just have a hard time paying $400+ for a helmet you may only use once. A good quality helmet will meet the same safety requirements and function the same as a more expensive helmet.

hes looking for a helmet to wear every day....what do you mean "I just have a hard time paying $400+ for a helmet you may only use once."