Titling an enclosed trailer?

madcat6183

So I just bought a 6x12 V nose off Craigs and had a few questions on titling it and getting tags.

He said it has a title, and currently is tagged etc. However I thought that anything under a certain weight in OH did not need a true "title" just a weight slip?

My thing is I am doing the deal after work tomorrow and want to get tags for the trailer Saturday morning, but need to know how.

It is a single axle trailer, and will be well under what I thought the weight of 3K or 2500 limit is on trailers requiring a true title vs. a weight slip.

Last time I bought a 3 rail, I just had the guy weigh it, took the weight slip with me, and got tags. Is that the same with this?

Thanks!

So this is what I just found, to me it reads like I just need a weight slip, which I can get locally Saturday at Obetz hardware, then roll right to the bmv and get it done.

All travel trailers are titled in Ohio at any county Title Office with proof of ownership, application, fees and taxes. If the trailer is on a non-Ohio title, you must first obtain an Ohio out-of-state VIN verification at any Deputy Registrar's office. If the trailer is not a travel trailer and weighs 4,000 pounds or less, you must obtain a weight slip on the trailer and take that and proof of ownership to your Deputy Registrar's office and apply for plates and registration. If the trailer weighs 4,001 pounds or more, you would take proof of ownership and apply for Ohio title at any county Title

Yeah but the weight slip is what bypasses the actual "title" they then give a registration and title sheet with the tags/stickers.

I was hoping you'd see this because I know you have experience with all this shit etc. But if I am wrong, or not reading/interrupting that right let me know. The other thing was my other was marked as "homemade"...

I m just worried about getting it transfered because there won't be a notary on scene, and Im not 100% sure my mom still has her notary license.

Thanks buddy!

Your understanding sounds correct as far as I can tell. When I was looking into this, I found the same information.

Ohio only titles trailers that are over a certain weight, because they are trying to keep track of mobile homes.

What that exact weight is, I do not know, but 4,000 lbs. sounds quite reasonable. If the trailer you have is actually "titled" for some reason, then I don't see why transferring it would be a bad idea.

But I walked into the BMV with my certificate of origin for my HF trailer (has the shipping weight, so I didn't need a weight slip) and it does not have a true title. I have the original Chinese "title," but that's not a legal document except in the absolute loosest sense of the word.

The previous owner's registration (or a copy of it) should prevent you from even needing to get the trailer weighed (which can cost a few bucks). Go to the DMV and see what they say. The worst they can tell you is, "go get it weighed."

I think all trailers need titled and tags. The post above makes it sound like the weight issue is for out of state vehicles that do not require a title in their state.

I have a title for my enclosed trailer' date=' and an original "certificate of origin" for my Harbor Freight trailer. Tags for both, but only a title for one. :dunno:[/quote']

You were ripped off and will never be able to sell that HF trailer. :p:lol:

You need to have a certificate of origin, or title to show that the trailer is not stolen.. I believe you need a weight slip for homebuilts. CoO and titles will already have the weight.

Edited by flounder

You need to have a certificate of origin at the minimum to show that the trailer is not stolen..

how? they are not vehicles, thus they do not have VINs

if there is a "serial" number, why can't that go on the registration?

Here - straight from the BMV site:

"Commercial trailers weighing 4000 pounds or more are required to be titled. Certificates of Title is not issued on any commercial or utility trailer weighing less than 4000 pounds. The sale, purchase or mortgage of a trailer is the same as a motor vehicle except for the odometer statement, which is not required. To obtain license plates contact any Deputy Registrar's office."

prove it weighs less than 4,000 lbs., and no title is required (unless it is a "travel trailer," i.e. an RV) - only registration.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm#tog (expand the portion on commercial trailers)

Edited by redkow97

Damn thanks Red. Figured someone could find the exact verbiage I needed. I figure if I take the title or whatever he gives me tonight to the Dep Reg. early Saturday and they say get a weight slip, then I will, if not, then I ll rock it out. The register and BMV on south high in the ghetto are directly accross from each other and take 5 minutes even on a saturday to go through. Not to mention the scale is 5 mins from there, Ill chance it and just tow the thing with me lol.

Thanks for everyones input, just for a note, when we bought the 24 ft TT from NJ, we had a bill of sale, notarized, and had to take the trailer to get it inspected to make sure the VIN or serial number matched, they filled out some doc, and put an approximate weight on it, then we got a true title for it. For the 28 ft TT bought in OH, we just took the title and had it done on the spot, no bill of sale etc.

So for this I will first just take what he gives me tonight and try to register it, if they say get a weight slip, I will then go do that, if they say I need what he gives me tonight notarized, well FML.

Thanks!

Here - straight from the BMV site:

"Commercial trailers weighing 4000 pounds or more are required to be titled. Certificates of Title is not issued on any commercial or utility trailer weighing less than 4000 pounds. The sale, purchase or mortgage of a trailer is the same as a motor vehicle except for the odometer statement, which is not required. To obtain license plates contact any Deputy Registrar's office."

prove it weighs less than 4,000 lbs., and no title is required (unless it is a "travel trailer," i.e. an RV) - only registration.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm#tog (expand the portion on commercial trailers)

Youre forgetting the not stolen part which is why you need to have a CoO, Title, or Bill of sale + weight slip.. See bold.. Its not just about weight, you have to prove you own it which requires one of the above, And yes all trailers except homebuilts have serial numbers.