Rider died on Olentangy River Rd tonight!

SWing'R

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nbc4i says that the bike was headed north on ORR and the car was headed south on ORR and they collided in the intersection of ORR and the 315 on/off ramps.

The only side roads on that intersection are both ont he east side - the ramps to 315. I think it's a safe bet that either the bike went left-of-center for some unknown reason (unlikley) or the car made a left into the path of the rider.

Even if the car did make the left, it's too early to begin to assig fault (for learning purposes, not for vilification). How fast was the bike going, what color were the lights etc.

Also, as as secondary concern, what gear was the biker wearing and how fast were they going? If the bike had the green, was goign at a reasonable speed, was fully geared up and the car violated his ROW then that's something for us all to consider - be more defensive at intesections.

If the bike was doing 100mph with no gear and ran the light between two cars then I'm not going to worry myself to sleep tonight about "what if that happened to me".

Whenever I hear of a bike accident my first thought is always; "What happened and how can we try to stop it happening again?"

Selfish, maybe? I dunno. Kind of like an FAA approach to an air crash.

If the rider was blameless and geared up then that stuff scares the crap out of me and that is where we have to learn lessons - if it can happend to a blameless geared-up rider then ts can happen to me. Sloshed stunting shirtless squids get a moment of sympathy for their families' loss, but I don't give it much "how do I avoid that" thought.

I posted this in the "new rider" thread on Daily Ride, but it bears repeating here...the "wagging back and forth" trick when approaching turning or about-to-turn traffic ahead of you is very effective...and not enough of us know it or do it.

The human brain is programmed to see side-to-side movement, as are all animals...it's how we differentiate unnatural movement in nature. You see a single object or point of light coming at you and you can look through it or misjudge the distance. If you're lined up just right you can disappear between shadows, other cars or headlights.

Wag back and forth and it's an unnatural, out of place movement and the car about to turn is MUCH more likely to see you.

I've done this since I started riding and I've watched it literally make someone rolling about to turn in front of me do the "oh shit" and halt it when I wag in the lane.

Should it be counted on? Hell no. Always have an "out" and prepare for the worst but it's a solid tactic with good science behind it and if you're looking for advantage amongst the mouth-breathers, do everything you can.

I posted this in the "new rider" thread on Daily Ride, but it bears repeating here...the "wagging back and forth" trick when approaching turning or about-to-turn traffic ahead of you is very effective...and not enough of us know it or do it.

Where I come from we call this the "SMIDSY Wiggle". SMIDSY = "Sorry, Mate, I Didn't See You". The first thing a British cager says when he cuts off a bike.

Forward visibility is a massive concern of mine - I see "cars emerging from side streets" and "oncoming cars turning left" as the greatest threat to my life. These are the types of accident with the greatest speed differential between me and the other car. (Of course, other cars going left of center would be even worse, but they're nowhere near as common)

I currently have my dayglo green jacket, and the headlight modulator on the Wee (those high-beams are BRIGHT!). I have not had anyone pull out in front of me in a situation where they failed to see me. (I've had morons see me then pull out knowing I'd slow down, but no amount of lighting will stop that)

I don't have the modulator running all the time, just when I see someone who wants to cross my path but I have ROW. I also slow right down and cover the brakes. I also move to the far side of the lane (to the left of the lane if the car is coming from the right) so that if they turn into the lane then I may be abel to get past without hitting them.

Blasting past a sidestreet dead center in the lane hard on the gas gives you very little chance to stop the the cager pulls out.

Mr. Ryan Williams was the Team Vice Leader for the Buckeye Electric Motorcycle Race Team (BEMRT) at the Ohio State University where he studied engineering. Ryan was a very bright, aspiring engineer on the team, well-liked by everyone. His intelligence and humor will be missed.

As more information comes to light, I will try and pass it on to everyone. May peace be with Ryan and our deepest condolences for his family.

Thanks for your understanding,

Sean C. Ewing

Team Leader, BEMRT

"Let’s win these races for Ryan!!" L.W.

R.I.P. Rider :rip:

Drove through the intersection today, saw a few people out walking around it picking up some small pieces. Not sure if they were family or not but gave them a salute out of respect in case they were. Keeping his family in our thoughts.

Mr. Ryan Williams was the Team Vice Leader for the Buckeye Electric Motorcycle Race Team (BEMRT) at the Ohio State University where he studied engineering. Ryan was a very bright, aspiring engineer on the team, well-liked by everyone. His intelligence and humor will be missed.

As more information comes to light, I will try and pass it on to everyone. May peace be with Ryan and our deepest condolences for his family.

Thanks for your understanding,

Sean C. Ewing

Team Leader, BEMRT

"Let’s win these races for Ryan!!" L.W.

Thanks Sean.

RIP Ryan :(

If any of us needed that lesson, we'd probably already be dead.

Too many say they know it but don't heed the warning. Better repeated than forgotten.

Sean, thanks for the info. It is nice to hear he is remembered fondly by those who knew him.

The human brain is programmed to see side-to-side movement, as are all animals...it's how we differentiate unnatural movement in nature. You see a single object or point of light coming at you and you can look through it or misjudge the distance. If you're lined up just right you can disappear between shadows, other cars or headlights.

Wag back and forth and it's an unnatural, out of place movement and the car about to turn is MUCH more likely to see you.

I've done this since I started riding and I've watched it literally make someone rolling about to turn in front of me do the "oh shit" and halt it when I wag in the lane.

Should it be counted on? Hell no. Always have an "out" and prepare for the worst but it's a solid tactic with good science behind it and if you're looking for advantage amongst the mouth-breathers, do everything you can.

I'm aware of this trick yet tend to forget it. Need to start using it more.

I think this year I may get a headlight modulator too, been putting it off

but think it might be a good investment this season.

Anything that helps a cager notice me is a good investment in my book!

I wiggle or something at every car on the road till they see me. I still swear that if I ride straight at them, they will see me immediately. I've even decided to slow to a crawl when in doubt about a cager. I intensely dislike cars that "jump" when you close approach, regardless of whether you're on a bike, in a car, or a MAC truck. Saw one today. Why would a little car jump at a van that weighs twice as much. There is some very poor decision making on the roadway. Watch for and avoid.

Recon, how about those that tailgate bikes or you watch in the rearview come up on you at 40 mph when sitting at a light? Morons.

I actually watched a guy on a bike get rearended a few years back when the woman behind him tried to time his taking off and her slowing down for a light that just changed. the front tire went perpendicular to the ground as he went over the roof. Luckily he was ok. Again, I stress - morons.

Recon, how about those that tailgate bikes or you watch in the rearview come up on you at 40 mph when sitting at a light? Morons.

I actually watched a guy on a bike get rear ended a few years back when the woman behind him tried to time his taking off and her slowing down for a light that just changed. the front tire went perpendicular to the ground as he went over the roof. Luckily he was ok. Again, I stress - morons.

Yes, I watch behind me as well. But that's the direction stuff sneaks up on you anyway. Some places I stay in gear. Other places I do not. It's a feeling developed over years. I've been hit from behind twice by cars and once by motorcycle.

A couple of years ago at a stop light, I saw a car from behind that wasn't apparently stopping, and I slipped up along side the car in front of me, in the gutter. That car panic stopped close to the one I got friendly with.

Tailgaters, same as when in a car. Slow down, and open the gap in front of you. You're stopping for two. Let them pass. Pull off and stop if you have to.

edit: I'll be adding lights to my city bike soon. Mostly small LED stuff on all sides. Switched, but available to use. Big wiring job.

Edited by ReconRat

I'm thinking about the headlight modulator as well. I don't want one running al the time, just when I need to make myself noticed.

They only operate when you switch your HIGH beam on during the day.

They have a light sensor that stops it from working at night.

I'm playing around with the idea.

nbc4i says that the bike was headed north on ORR and the car was headed south on ORR and they collided in the intersection of ORR and the 315 on/off ramps.

The only side roads on that intersection are both on the east side - the ramps to 315. I think it's a safe bet that either the bike went left-of-center for some unknown reason (unlikely) or the car made a left into the path of the rider.

Even if the car did make the left, it's too early to begin to assign fault (for learning purposes, not for vilification). How fast was the bike going, what color were the lights etc.

Also, as as secondary concern, what gear was the biker wearing and how fast were they going? If the bike had the green, was going at a reasonable speed, was fully geared up and the car violated his ROW then that's something for us all to consider - be more defensive at intersections.

Just talked to a witnesses to the accident.

Left hand turn for the SUV.

Rider had helmet and all gear and was not speeding.

Witness is pretty sure charges will be filed on the SUV driver from their point of view.

That is all.

They only operate when you switch your HIGH beam on during the day.

They have a light sensor that stops it from working at night.

I'm playing around with the idea.

I would probably wire it differently' date=' because I like to keep the headlight on high beam during the day. I'll ponder it some more, and maybe come up with my own setup anywa.

Just talked to a witnesses to the accident.

Left hand turn for the SUV.

Rider had helmet and all gear and was not speeding.

Witness is pretty sure charges will be filed on the SUV driver from their point of view.

That is all.

I would hate to be the cage driver in this case.

We have a reinforcement for a reminder to keep yourself as visible as you can!

the thing i DONT like about the headlight modulator, is that a flashing headlight means "GO AHEAD", so you are just inviting the exact thing you are trying to avoid.