I upgraded to the droid x

chevysoldier

What are those 3 apps? And what about just the app for yahoo that came with it? Whats better about k9?

screebl you adjust the tilt where your phone will keep screen on...so if youre using it and waiting on a txt or looking at pics etc it wont shut off on you - you can google Screebl and watch the video on their website to see how it actually works - but its nice....then you can turn down the time-out of your screen real low and if the phone isnt being held in a certain position, or in use, it will shut off the interface....they claim it extends battery life to run it ...i wouldnt know since i DLd it first day i had it....but my phones off the charger 18hrs a day and i use it a lot and it never goes dead....the only thing that hurts my battery is GPS...theres a widget on the third home screen to the left that has GPS, BlueTooth, WiFi, and Airplane Mode...just toggle those on when you need them and turn them off afterwards

droidlight is a flashlight app

handcent is for txting....more features than normal txting...i turned off txting notifications and DLd handcent and now it notifies me...but it has spam blocking stuff like Blacklist, where if you get a number bugging you that you dont like you can Blacklist it so it never shows up again, etc...customizable interface, etc

and i never bothered with the yahoo app that came with it, people on the droid forums all told me K9 is a must have so i DLd it...it can run other emails like google and stuff all in one app...it just doesnt run hotmail for some reason

if you DL handcent, make sure to go into stock messaging app and turn off all notifications

Edited by Steve Butters

I tried it for a second and turned it right off. Think I need to get used to the virtual keyboard first before I start getting all fancy. I end up turning it sideways so the keys are easier to hit when I text.

once again...says the old guy.. :D

DL'ed Advanced Task Killer, the guy at the store and jporter told me about it. The droid light. Right now my wife has it DL'ing some stuff for me.

"Android is a Linux based OS and it is designed to allocate memory properly and when a app isn't in use it shouldn't be using any. The only time you might need to kill a task/app is if the developer wrote it very poorly, and even then you can just go to menu>settings>applications>running services and close them from there. "

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/18334-task-killer-apps-truth.html

i would get rid of that app....you dont need a task killer on a droid x....i never terminate any apps, because when you stop using them, they stop using up memory, then when you open them back up they are right where you left them

and the people in that thread all say that their phones slower after DLing that app

theres a lot of stuff people do with android phones that just makes stuff complicated and unnecessary for the average user....you shouldnt need to root your phone or use a task killer or anything like that

"Android is a Linux based OS and it is designed to allocate memory properly and when a app isn't in use it shouldn't be using any. The only time you might need to kill a task/app is if the developer wrote it very poorly, and even then you can just go to menu>settings>applications>running services and close them from there. "

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/18334-task-killer-apps-truth.html

i would get rid of that app....you dont need a task killer on a droid x....i never terminate any apps, because when you stop using them, they stop using up memory, then when you open them back up they are right where you left them

and the people in that thread all say that their phones slower after DLing that app

theres a lot of stuff people do with android phones that just makes stuff complicated and unnecessary for the average user....you shouldnt need to root your phone or use a task killer or anything like that

I've heard both ways on this. I don't totally believe that the apps give up their memory. Maybe all apps (even the stock Android apps) are "poorly written?"

get rid of task killer it hurts performance

I haven't seen this in practice. :dunno: I understand the theory that 'nix apps are supposed to quit using memory when they're not being used, I just see my phone being more responsive after killing apps that keep restarting (stock apps that I haven't gotten rid of.) I need to get around to loading a different rom with the stock (sprint) apps loaded where I can delete them.

argh... made me look...

some of these might have come with the phone.

aCar (car/bike app)

Abduction! (game)

Aldiko (epub, mobi, pdf etc book reader)

Amazon app & shop store (another barcode scanner included)

Angry birds (and Rio, free from amazon store)

Astro (file manager)

Ballistics

Barcode Scanner

Bonzai Blast (game)

Bubble (bubble level - actually works pretty good)

Color Flashlight (uses screen, uses less power)

Compass (adds to the one that comes with)

CraigsNotify (set search watch and notify)

DroidLight (uses camera flash)

Goggles (scan and identify objects)

Google Sky Map (really cool - GPS has to be on)

GPS Tracker (track and map movement/speed - runs battery down fast)

gStrings Free (guitar tuner)

Heavens Above (list orbital satellites arrival overhead)

IP Camera Viewer Lite (see IP cameras @ home)

Mahjong (time killer)

Mileage (car/bike app)

Pacific Wings (shooter game)

Pandora (must have)

PhoneTell (shows caller ID? - takes verbal - not using it much. Using the Dialer that came with)

Pocket Auctions (eBay)

Ringdroid (make and assign ringtones)

Satellite AR (satellite tracker - really really cool - GPS has to be on)

Shazam (music identifier)

Shopper (image scanner)

ShopSavvy (barcode scanner)

StopWatch & Timer (use it a lot)

Tank Recon 3D

TripAdvisor

Twitter (set NASA tweets)

Ustream Broadcast (turn droid into network camera)

Wifi Analyzer (shows whats there for local wifi & signal strength)

Winds of Steel Demo (flight game - GPS has to be on for movement)

YouTube

added BBC mobile news (GP racing)

I keep WiFi, GPS, BlueTooth and airplane mode off unless needed

found a decent Matrix screensaver (active wallpaper)

added World Newpapers

added Scanner Radio (Gordon Edward app - police/fire scanner)

added Metal Detector (maybe only because I read the iPhone can't do it)

The DroidX really is a PDA with a phone

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1