Safety Wiring 101 for track day riders...

Moto-Brian

Not to dis Kurveygirl, but you can go to Home Depot and pick the safety pins in various sizes and spend less than the $10 even for the kit.

Yea, thats probably true... I have never priced them out there. However, I was at Harbor Freight the other day and picked up a mixed box of 49pc for $8.99. Not sure why its 49pc but oh well.

Does Home Depot carry the real small ones? I would like to used em on the fork pinch bolts. The kit did not come with anything that small.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php/aluminium-engine-kit-675-s-triple-daytona-race-spec-black.html#.T1KOAM3gaQk

Kits like this are great if you don't want to drill your bolts. Some kits are more expensive than others and include different Items but its worth looking into depending on your bike!

i wired my bike the first time without safety wire pliers... huge pain in the ass. i ended up rubberbanding a pair of pliers shut on the wire and twisted it by hand. came out terrible, but in the end it DID work

• 1 year later...

Great write up!! APPRECIATE all the info...I plan on getting my feet wet this year on the track...I got one track day in last year w the novice group...It was fun and very informative...i have sooooo much to learn though.. :) thanks again.

• 8 months later...