Angelfish

OsuMj

BUMP.... I'm moving in less than 2 weeks, I've been getting rid of them on Craigslist, but not fast enough. Anyone want some free angels? ... and by free i mean that you have to promise not to feed them to something. And if by some chance you want a lot of them and want to give me a cheap jar of fish food, that would make me happy. :D

no, these are fresh water angels. They look a lot like this except they alsy have gold foreheads:

951532_1.jpg

(i found this pic on the web)

They're pretty easy to take care of.... feed them once(ish) a day, clean their tank once ever week or two (its a 5 min process), give em a plant to hide in and they are all set!

Do they get along with goldfish and tetras? If they do, I may be interested. Of course I have been trying to find a 3-5 gallon tank lately for some other stuff. I have a little one gallon, but the filter I got is too powerful. Poor fish were getting sucked in and then blown back away by the air pump all at once lol. They were exhausted!

As a rule of thumb, for every inch of fish, you should have 1 gallon of water. These angels will be about 3" long in about a year (about the size of the palm of your hand), so they need at least 3 gallons each, more if you don't want to have to change the water a lot. Goldfish typically need 2 gallons of water per inch because they make more ammonia. The angels will get along with them just fine though!

Do they get along with goldfish and tetras? If they do, I may be interested. Of course I have been trying to find a 3-5 gallon tank lately for some other stuff. I have a little one gallon, but the filter I got is too powerful. Poor fish were getting sucked in and then blown back away by the air pump all at once lol. They were exhausted!

Goldfish are cold water fish. Angelfish are tropical. You could keep them in the same tank but the temps probably won't be ideal for both species. Also, goldfish are very dirty fish, as is their food. They really require 5-10 gallons per goldie.

As a rule of thumb, for every inch of fish, you should have 1 gallon of water. These angels will be about 3" long in about a year (about the size of the palm of your hand), so they need at least 3 gallons each, more if you don't want to have to change the water a lot. Goldfish typically need 2 gallons of water per inch because they make more ammonia. The angels will get along with them just fine though!

Actually the rule of one gallon per inch isn't really a good idea. There are too many fish, like goldfish, that require more water than the rule would provide.

Right. I have a 10 gallon right now with a few tetras and goldfish. I would likely only get one or two, but I know I do need another tank. That's why I wanted to get a smaller one to put the tetras in like I had planned.

I've had angels and goldfish in ~73 degree water at the same time and they did fine together. They were happy and healthy like that for a few months till I got a bigger tank to put the angels in.

Goldfish are cold water fish. Angelfish are tropical. You could keep them in the same tank but the temps probably won't be ideal for both species. Also, goldfish are very dirty fish, as is their food. They really require 5-10 gallons per goldie.

Yeah they said that about my tetras too. The tetras seem to be doing great with the goldies though. I have chinese algae eaters (well one now sine the other just died) and he keeps the tank pretty clean. I just hate to get a bigger tank. Ok, maybe I will pass on the angelfish lol.

Not saying they can't or won't survive together, just wouldn't be ideal for them. Ideal being the middle of the temp range.

My biggest concern would be a 10 gallon tank with angel(s) and goldfish (I don't know how many you have). That'd be overstocked.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd be willing to take a few in a couple of weeks if you'll still have them. In the process of moving right now.

I've got plenty left, let me know, I can drop them off (you're still near campus right?). They're getting big!

• 1 year later...

well, I'm gonna gravedig here. I've still got ~10 left, they are full size angelfish and the fish stores usually sell them for $15-$30. If anyone is considering angelfish any time soon, let me know, they are still free. Good christmas presents for kids! maybe.