Helmets???

DoughnuT

I know helmets should be replaced on a 3-5 year basis generally. That being said, does a helmet deteriate over time if it isn't worn, and just sits in the box at a shop? Is a helmet that came out in 2005 still going to be as reliable as a helmet just released?

Started thinking about the helmet I use now, and it is about time to replace it. Started looking at helmets online and at local shops, and am seeing older designs that I like, but worry about getting an older design for reliability issues.

All responses are appreciated in advance.

• Like 1

i think the general rule is 3-5 years of wearing OR 7 years from the manufacture date. I remember reading that somewhere on here and that was the general rule I had when I was buying my shoei last fall on closeout

My motorcycle safety class instr told us to replace bout every three years of wearing. Mainly because of sweat. He described it like this. The padding "foam" that protects your head is basically the same thing your mcdonalds coffee comes in, stryofoam. He said that your sweat wears down the foam like liquid would in a coffee cup. Makes sense but dont know if it would be true. also if your helmet has been dropped it can dent the foam inside because it is design to give, while the shell may not crack it. again i heard this in a safety class, so take it for what you will. I know that after two season of riding in my helmet the side padding has wore out and it gets loose, but in my i can replace all the basic padding.

I know the general rule of 3-5 years for a helmet that you use.

Just wondering about a helmet that has never been used, never taken out of the "wrapper." I haven't really seen any of the newer helmets that I like, and was considering getting an older model, just don't know how well they will hold if they have never been worn, but just been sitting.

• 9 years later...

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires that all motorcycle helmets sold in the United States meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard . So you can buy any helmet which is DOT Standard. You can get discount on helmets on New Year Sale or Get any from Clearance Sale.

I'm due for a new helmet at 5 years and counting but I can't find one that fits my fucked up head.   I was in IP this weekend but in no hurry to try on helmets with this Rice Rabies stuff going on.  So far the best fit has been the Signet Q (long oval) helmet but it's pricey and still didn't feel all that great.  Even the newer model of the HJC helmet that I currently use feels different than what I have.   :(

8 hours ago, Howabusa said:

I just got a new Bell RS-2 for $145 off Amazon. These were $300 when they came out in 2017. Fiberglass shell with a drop down sun visor.

D0C5D52A-9CA5-499D-A0FD-5314D52352F9.jpeg

Nice find

• Upvote 1