Deals Gap (Tennessee/North Carolina

jerben

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be our 2nd trip this year. www.ridgetopmotel.com is where we have stayed. It is an older motel and the owners are awesome. The motel is located in Bryson City. We are going May 19-22. There is a small diner in Bryson City (cant remember the name). There's an Italian Rest. also in town that is good.

We Always stay in robbinsville,nc at the microtel inn it is real clean affordable and they cater to bikers and the have a excellent breakfast area...there are restaurants, stores, gas stations, and a near by repair shop (wheelers)...we always take the freeway down so I can't help ya there

I go a couple times per year. The last time , I stayed at the deals Gap Resort www.dealsgap.com it was great. Prior to that I always stayed at the Microtel in Robbinsville.

I've got a good way to get there from here to Lexington, without 4 lanes, and going thru Cinci.........Take 33 to Lancaster, then RT22 to Rt159, take 159 to Waverly to RT32, 32 to Rt41, RT41 to the river at Aberdeen, from there take RT39 to Lexington at Rt75. I usually do this after work, stay at Lexington at the Ramada next to the Waffle House, then take 75 on down to Knoxville, and on to 129....

Went for the very first time last summer, going again this July. Took roughly 6 hours to get to Pigeon Forge Tenn, where we stayed. Lots to see, and do there, plenty of restaurants. From there I think it was about a 30 min ride to the Dragon, maybe less I'm not too sure. I can't wait till we go back had a blast.

Oh and also about 3-4 days after you ride it hit up www.killboy.com, or www.us129photos.com and check out your pics!

Honestly, Robbinsville kinda blows. I stay up in Alcoa, TN.

That is where we always stay. Jameson Inn in Alcoa, three good resturants within crawling distance of the hotel....VERY biker friendly. Been there lots of times. Plus you get to ride the Foothills Pkwy on the way to the Dragon.

this is the first time this thread has been created, so i am at a loss for input.

Sounds like a tourist trap area. :lol:

Do's:

Expect rain

watch for speed traps

pack light

explore areas outside of Deals Gap

take 23 from Columbus all the way down to avoid interstate

Be very carefull on the dragon, curves are not the greatest danger

Check out online bike friendly campgrounds, most have cabins too.

Don'ts:

Go on a weekend

think you'll be the only one there

forget the $$$ for tickets

get mad at the RVs and trucks

forget to get off the bike and explore on foot too

I would suggest US35, US119, SR32, I81,SR71,US441,SR28 to Robbinsville NC. At least thats the way I went last time. US 119 is like the West Virginia Autobahn (No LEOs, no traffic & 4 lanes winding thru the hills. Fun riding but you can accumulate some miles real quick. Have fun.

I went down last august , & stayed in robbinsville at the " two wheel inn". It is for bikers only and has mini (6'x12' garages next to your room to store your bikes in . great rates, but no restaurant. It is 20 miles south of Deals Gap MC on US129.

Here is the best place to find all the info you are looking for.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

If you have a decent sized group i recommend renting a cabin/cottage for a week as that's you biggest bang for your money. I prefer TailoftheDragon: The Ridge and the TwoSistersChalet. Both have hot tubs and garages in case you need to work on the bikes.

The TwoSisters is more relaxed and nicer accommodations but smaller garage and located at the south end of the Foothills Parkway and about 3 miles from the north end of the gap. Not too far from Townsend, Marysville. Alcoa etc.

The Ridge has a nice big pole barn style garage you can easily fit a large number of bikes in with pool table, ping pong and couches..(more party freindly) but it's located farther from stores. Located around 30-40 minutes from the Dragon but also directly on the eastern end of the Charohalla Skyway.

pigeon forge warning -- super mickey mouse. i found it completely obnoxious. gatlinsburg was a better option and has more charm imo. even then its a drive to the dragon despite the offerings of the smokey mountains. cherokee is closer by an hour

Edited by socaln8tv

Pigeon Forge :lol: Now there's a tourist trap! How many knife and sword shops does one town need? It's bad enough most road side shops sell one of three items. Roasted peanuts, BBQ or gem mining. :)

I had a lot more fun running unnamed roads along the foot hills up and down the hills on the TN side. 25W also has some fun stretches and areas to avoid because of endless traffic lights.

I've stayed in Townsend Tenn which is nice and quiet. Plenty of places to stay and good food. You cut across the Foothills Parkway and you are at the Dragon from there.

I stayed at the Deals Gap resort last year. Nice place and lots of bikers to interact with. Food was so so. Robbinsville is your best source of chow from there.

Make sure you run 28 down to Highlands, SC. It's like 100 miles of Dragon. Also do the Cherhola while you are there.