super moto/dual sport questions

jbot

I think it is funny when guys think a DS bike is the same class as a supermoto bike. If you want an XR, KLX, DRZ, etc. , you aren't buying supermoto bikes. Supermoto is an MX based machine that is race oriented in design. Not a couch with too soft suspension and a weezer motor.

If you want a supermoto, buy a supermoto. If you want a DS bike, not even close to the same thing. Even if you swap hoops for 17s...

If you want a supermoto, buy a supermoto. If you want a DS bike, not even close to the same thing. Even if you swap hoops for 17s...

A lot of bikes blur the line, tho....especially all the Euro enduro/offroad bikes that come here street legal, since many are more race-bred from the outset....

KTM 530

Husky TE450/510

BMW G450X

Aprillia 4.5

All semantics anyway, unless you're racing who cares what you call them? You don't get your license revoked for saying "I have a supermoto" when it's a normal DS bike with 17" rims.

I think it is funny when guys think a DS bike is the same class as a supermoto bike. If you want an XR, KLX, DRZ, etc. , you aren't buying supermoto bikes. Supermoto is an MX based machine that is race oriented in design. Not a couch with too soft suspension and a weezer motor.

v-strom is the only true supermoto

Also if your towing it behind your SS, I know it would only take you like 20 mins to get here haha.

I scared the crap out of Rob trailering down to pick up his wrecked bike this summer, poor guy. Can't really pass as well with a trailer and bike in it. 20 minutes is from Millersburg to your house while towing. Following you guys with the truck was fun though.

Buying a house? I thought you were broke as a joke.

I scared the crap out of Rob trailering down to pick up his wrecked bike this summer, poor guy. Can't really pass as well with a trailer and bike in it. 20 minutes is from Millersburg to your house while towing. Following you guys with the truck was fun though.

Buying a house? I thought you were broke as a joke.

haha the sound of your truck behind us was great!!! Your brakes were blazing.

I'am broke as a joke, I might as well pay my own mortgage then someone else's with my rent moneys. Going to go through work and get a sheriffs auction house, because I'am broke as a joke. haha

A lot of bikes blur the line, tho....especially all the Euro enduro/offroad bikes that come here street legal, since many are more race-bred from the outset....

KTM 530

Husky TE450/510

BMW G450X

Aprillia 4.5

All semantics anyway, unless you're racing who cares what you call them? You don't get your license revoked for saying "I have a supermoto" when it's a normal DS bike with 17" rims.

While I agree a lot blur the lines, my point was that the DRZs, XRs, etc are NOT supermoto bikes. Slapping 17" wheels on an off road bike doesn't make it a supermoto...

Especially the crack heads thinking the V-Strom is...:eek:

I kid about the crack head comment...;)

so, i've been reading pretty much non-stop for the last day or so.

true "racing" bred mx based machines are out. I simply live too far from the fun roads and i just have absolutely no interest in changing oil after basically every ride and valve checks/adjusts not too long after. My street rides consist of all day rides from east of Cleveland to near or into WV and back in the span of 12-14 hours and at least 3 of those hours will be spent on the highway. I do these types of rides on my 600rr (ok), RSVR (awful riding position for highway), 998s (worse than rsvr), 1125CR (comfy position, but not wind protection and shitty seat), and other similar bikes so I don't think I'll have much issue surviving the shitty ride on the highway. but the more straight up pimpin racing-type sumos will not survive the trip from what i've read. maybe i'm wrong. please tell me i'm wrong, i want an honest to goodness baller sumo, but i think it's asinine to do that sort of PM schedule for a street bike.

therefore, i'm currently looking more towards bikes like Husky sm 610's, ktm 690 sm and smc (maybe even a duke), a converted XR690R, and others along those lines. they won't be track or race machines by any means, but they'll be up to the task of extended stints on the highway, a blast on the twisties, and the very occasional passes on the track with, and more than enough by my standards for hooligan-ing around, since I don't even know how to do a wheelie yet. Besides, most of my riding will be on the tracks again this year. Simply put, the bike is going to be almost all street, with track scattered in haphazardly.

that all said...

in NE ohio, husky has basically no presence, dealer wise (please correct me if i'm wrong. i'd like to be wrong). KTM has a dealer about 45 minutes away from me, so that's not awful. the husky 610 is a bit cheaper, new left overs can be had for about 5500 (not OTD), and I have no idea where i could even sit on a KTM 690 anything. I think they run around 6-7K used.

People are selling older XR650R's for about 4K, but I haven't seen anything newer than a 2002, which sucks. maybe it makes no difference, but given the choice between a used 07 husky and a used 01 honda with fairly minimal price differences, i'll go with the husky. I'd LOVE to find a used ktm 690 sm/SMC/duke at a good price but apparently, all of them sold 3 months ago on SMJ.

Any thoughts on bikes that compare to SM 610, KTM 690, etc? Obviously, I'm looking for something more street friendly, rather than track friendly.

Edited by jbot

Of course, I might sound corporate, but the 690 SMC is an awesome machine. More substantial than an MX bike. Wider, heavier (good thing), more power and more torque.

The 610 is a cool bike also. However, WAY down on power vs the 690. Remember, we are talking small hp numbers here to begin with...

That all being said, neither is going to be ultra comfy. We rode Adventures a full day and even their comfy style seats were a bit rough on the back side.

That being said, I've spent days on the 690. Seat aside, the thing is STOOOOOOOPID fun. In fact, we should supply a set of hand cuffs with each sale. It's fun! Also, as far as freeway goes, both suck. Smaller CCs and no wind protection. Buffeting happens and the bike is running at higher RPMs.

Again, if I were allocated more demos, a 690 SMC would be in the garage. It's a real bummer we aren't bringing it in for 2011.

If you want something smaller, but actually about equal to the 610, check out the 2011 Husaberg 570. Bit tougher to find a dealer, but I can lead you to one that will help ya out. But, the 570 is more MX narrow and feel.

I just got done this winter finishing my 610...It took a quarter of the money to make it feel like a race bread machine with still good maintance and reliability.

I cut major weight(exhaust was the big cut and battery)other items and had head work done and installed a 570 cam in it.Bored the carb to 43.5mm.Went up on the counter shaft sprocket and it feels like i went down it improved that much.I have way less in this 610 than i did my drz and my drz still wouldnt beat this 610.

I will say the seat is iffy...350 miles on it i was sore but there are some aftermarket out there .im just going to suck it up and ride it .I have a pic of it in the pic section...

I think there all good it just depends on what you want ..it sure is fun looking though.