bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

Its a target at 25 meters... Its not as hard as you think to get expert.

Army was a bit different. Multiple pop up targets, in cover, from 25 to 600 yards. One for each round, two magazines of 20. 40 targets total.

Not easy with .223, nor faulty magazines, and rifles that jam...

A lot easier with .308.

That's the way I remember it. I suppose that they just point and say "BANG" now...

For the guys that asked about range of a .22, don't expect to hit much past 200-225 yards until you get really good. When I had my Ruger 10/22 target model I could slap the steel plate at 200 with virtually every shot. This required roughly 40 inches of elevation to the scope. At 300 yards my hit rate would drop down to the 20% range and I was holding around 10 feet of elevation above my target. Compare that to .30-06 that only needs 8 inches of elevation to hit at 300 yards.

The guns in a $200 price range are not going to get you a huge return on value. A standard 10/22 with a lot of plastic parts can be had new for $199 if you catch it on sale. Used for a .22 can be a great gun if it was cared for and if you buy a used 10/22 you can put a new barrel on it yourself with nothing more than an allen wrench. If you are looking to get a semi-auto the Ruger is the way to go if you can get the older one with the metal trigger group. I have shot both the old and the new, and currently own the new one with the plastic trigger group and don't like it as much. I should have never sold my older one.

If you are looking to get a semi-auto the Ruger is the way to go if you can get the older one with the metal trigger group. I have shot both the old and the new, and currently own the new one with the plastic trigger group and don't like it as much. I should have never sold my older one.

thanks for the definitive answer on range, but at least one source disagrees w/ you on the trigger assembly.

I read an article where the guy went to the Ruger factory and asked them why they changed from metal to composite materials.

The composite trigger assembly is not only stronger (they performed the same test on both, and the metal broke, where the composite didn't), but also more consistent in the manufacturing process.

Thus the composite helps the end-product be more consistent. You might like the trigger feel of the metal assembly better, but the composite trigger assembly means that you can take any 2 new 10/22's off the rack and have them feel basically identical.

I think there's something to be said for that, but your point is still well taken.

(edit - found the article http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-1022.htm)

That article is cool, I had never seen it before. I guess the polymer group can be stronger. My want of the older style trigger group is subjective I guess. My first 10/22 was purchased in '97 and was the bull barreled target model. I had to sell it back in '06 due to cash issues but the trigger on that gun was flawless. Last year for Christmas Dick's had the base model 10/22 on sale for under $200 so I purchased another one. The feel of the trigger on this new gun is not as nice. It breaks a little rough and the pull is not consistent, seams like there is a rough spot. One of my winter projects is going to be doing some trigger work on it. If I can't polish a nice feel on it I will probably spend the cash and get one of the Volquartsen match grade hammer and sear kits.

I went with the remington 597 over the 10/22 nice gun better trigger and stock barrel then the base 10/22 not as much aftermarket. I have shot it out to 100 yrds for the price it is a nice plinker. Scope it came with was junk so it was replaced with nikon prostaff. Polished some stuff inside cycles perfect now.

I went with the remington 597 over the 10/22 nice gun better trigger and stock barrel then the base 10/22 not as much aftermarket. I have shot it out to 100 yrds for the price it is a nice plinker. Scope it came with was junk so it was replaced with nikon prostaff. Polished some stuff inside cycles perfect now.

Buddy had the VTR version blow up in his face just a few weeks ago.

Yeah, but hardly ever jams, will run 200 rounds of cheap .22 ammo easy, and even a total noob can clean the gun. At $100 as Jporter says it is king of the cheap ass plink. Plus adding a scope is supper simple and it can be used for hunting in Ohio.

Other than that you can still find inexpensive sks carbines and 7.62x39 ammo is usually reasonable in price. But watch the ammo you use at indoor ranges. Nothing like being kicked out for using steel core ammo by accident.

Edited by buildit

We have a total of 3 - finished 10/22's at our house. All have been customized. and the 4th is a work in progress. Can't go wrong with them. Even with all the new advances from the other companies the 10/22 still rules the roost at the .22 match shoots. It is just a good running gun. When something does not function properly, there is only few thousand different companies making parts for them (exaggerated but gets the point across), where as the others... Dont have such a following. There are conversions for them from mild to wild. There are even custom conversions for them where you place the barrel and mechinism inside of a airsoft rifle and they are working firearms. I have seen a G36 and I think the other was a G91. Looked Great. There are other conversions as well. Seen one that looked like a M6 very nice and alluminum body parts.

i know you are only looking at playing around with it... But hey, once you get into it... It is hard to stop... Ask Flounder. Soon you will graduate from the .22 to other things. But the 10/22 platform is a great beginning for anyone. Easy barrel changes, trigger work is O.K. you need a little knoweledge of the mechinism. Bolt work is a snap, extended mag releases are simple. barrel and stock upgrades are available almost anywhere!

Something something 10/22 the best. Blah blah if they are so good why do you have to change so much stuff on them? Jussayin!!

They are like bikes. People like to to make them look pretty and put aftermarket parts on them and make them unique.

Think before you type.