Anyone have their credit card number quietly changed recently...?

Scruit

I just got an alert from my credit monitoring service that I had change to my credit report. There was a "Credit card lost or stolen" alert on my report.

I called the CC company and they said that "A vendor was compromised last week so we proactively closed your account and transferred your balance to a new account with a new number."

Anyone here had the same thing? Looking back at my account I've only used it to buy motorbike stuff and home improvement stuff. I was wondering if someone here had the same deal happen and maybe we can find out if we have a vendor in common.

The same thing happened to me but the credit card company sent me a letter saying they did it for the same reason you stated. This was about 6 months ago and so far no problems.

Same here but it was like a year or more ago. They sent new cards right away.

I had this happen about a year and a half ago. I went to pay for stuff at Lowes and the lady told me she had to confiscate my card. I asked why and she said she couldn't tell me, to which I calmly asked for the phone to call the credit card company. I called them and got the same answer and every time I heard sorry I asked for a higher level person to speak to in a louder voice, which made the clerk very uneasy. Long and short someone's data base was compromised so they proactively cancelled my checking card. Once I got the whole story my I was ok but explained that it might be a good idea to send and e-mail or call the affected people rather than use snail mail as they chose to do. I got the letter and my new card 4 days later.

My credit union changed out a good percent of all their debit cards, a few years back. A new card showed up in the mail with no explanation. Not everyone, but a lot of people had gotten a new one. And they enforced it by turning off the old card quickly. But they at least waited till we had gotten the new one.

That has happened to me twice with CC and once on a loan. The loan cost me... dearly! 15K... I got some of it back but not all of it. Lost my identity once as well. Everything was shut down for almost 8 months.

But, the two times the CC did that they never reported it to the credit companies?

The same thing happened to me but the credit card company sent me a letter saying they did it for the same reason you stated. This was about 6 months ago and so far no problems.

This happened to us a couple months ago. Had both of our FifthThird Debit cards replaced, received letter then new cards.

I had this happen about a year and a half ago. I went to pay for stuff at Lowes and the lady told me she had to confiscate my card. I asked why and she said she couldn't tell me,

wat? ive worked at tons of places that take credit cards, and ive NEVER heard of confiscating one.

wat? ive worked at tons of places that take credit cards, and ive NEVER heard of confiscating one.

When I worked at Sears while I was in college I had to on more than one occcassion cut up people's Sear's cards right in front of them, then give them back to them in pieces.

So now my credit score has dropped, and I have two "potentially negative" hits on my credit report, both from this CC company (one his is on equifax and the other is experian). The entries both say; "Card reported lost or stolen". Then it says: "A potentially negative item on your credit report means a creditor has reported that you have not met the terms of your agreement."

It makes no sense that some vendor losing CC data should make my credit score go down. Hmmm.

Edited by Scruit