Ohio BMV Insurance Random Selection

bigd

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/fr_random_selection.stm

I just got a notice in the mail for this BS...anyone else think this assumes a little bit too much guilt?

Sure, I had insurance on the date requested...so not a huge deal after all...but how ridiculous?

Maybe they'll ask that I provide proof I wasn't doing blow, clubbing baby seals, all while in the nude outdoors next? 'cause why the f not, right?

My mailbox got one of those last year, for a "paid off" bike sitting in the garage. I didn't have insurance, because I wasn't riding it. It did have valid plates. I had to spend lots of dollars to avoid a 6 month suspension.

"F" Ohio!

I got one last year and almost threw it out. I called my insurance co and they said to bring it in and they would handle it. I told them I would just send one of my insurance cards in with it. Insurance told me not to because they would fax and document date, time, etc. They stated that a lot of times when people send it in themselves they for some reason get a second notice! They took care of it and no second notice. Just more ways to get $$$$$$$$$ from people.

I HATE THIS LAW!!! Just a bunch of crap insurance companies lobbied to get passed so thay can intimidate people into giving up more money. I was SUPPOSED TO LOWER RATES & that NEVER HAPPINED! As a L.E. guy I can't stand the fact we are stuck dealing with crap laws like this while a bunch of meth heads are robbing the neighbors. OK, rant over.

Why don't you guys tell us how you REALLY feel? :D

But yeah, I totally agree with not liking this one. I got one once. I had no insurance on it :eek: but fortunately, the car was torn apart in the shop where I work, and I had an invoice going for the parts that I was putting on it. I mailed them a copy of that, and a letter from the owner that the car was indeed out of service (was over a month) and never heard back. I did get insurance once I got it fixed.

I HATE THIS LAW!!! Just a bunch of crap insurance companies lobbied to get passed so thay can intimidate people into giving up more money. I was SUPPOSED TO LOWER RATES & that NEVER HAPPINED! As a L.E. guy I can't stand the fact we are stuck dealing with crap laws like this while a bunch of meth heads are robbing the neighbors. OK, rant over.

Nope, insurance companies hate this extra workload. The requirement comes from the State of Ohio, which contracted an outside contractor to send out these notices (with threat of horrible retribution). It started with a change to Ohio Code, and it's basically looking for extra revenue for the state. The outside contractor of course, is also making money, and is very eager to send out as many challenges as possible.

Nope, insurance companies hate this extra workload. The requirement comes from the State of Ohio, which contracted an outside contractor to send out these notices (with threat of horrible retribution). It started with a change to Ohio Code, and it's basically looking for extra revenue for the state. The outside contractor of course, is also making money, and is very eager to send out as many challenges as possible.

The fact this was outsourced is even more frustrating....

My mailbox got one of those last year, for a "paid off" bike sitting in the garage. I didn't have insurance, because I wasn't riding it. It did have valid plates. I had to spend lots of dollars to avoid a 6 month suspension.

"F" Ohio!

So if you're not riding it, why pay for plates?

It's pretty clearly stated on the form you sign when renewing your reg that you have to have state minimum insurance on any registered vehicle.