HELP!! my handlebars are stuck in lock?

BeastieSSSC

this is nuts, i absolutely have no idea why this is or whats causing it. I parked my bike friday night, I NEVER lock my handlebars anymore, its something i personally don't do (there was never anything wrong with them locking). I cut the fuel and turn to key to off and pulled it out. I was parking on the street so i turned my wheel to the left to give the bike some stability. I came back the next day to find my handlebars locked, but the key position was still on "off". I put the key in the ignition and turned it to "on" and started her up for the handlebars still to be remained locked. WTF!! i tried twisting the key back to "lock" and back to on for it to do nothing. what are my choices here? is there an emergency unlock switch somewhere? Please help!!

Tommy

All I know to say is to try locking and unlocking them again while holding them turned all the way to the left, or maybe shake them lightly back and forth as you unlock.

I'd try that.

If that doesn't work, maybe the mechanism that turns the lock piston out broke and so you can't bring it back in. Being someone that recently disassembled my ignition and put the lock piston mechanism back in upside down, it could happen. Even though the piston is metal, the piece that turns is plastic, at least on the 1000RR, and likely on your GSXR. If that's the case, just take off your ignition. That's no easy task outside now that it's cold and if you can't get off your top triple.

Also, you could see if you can get something in front of the lock piston and push it back in. If it's broken and there's no broken pieces in the way, you should be able to just push it back in.

I had 3 of the torx screws holding the actual electric ignition switch to the key cylinder assembly and then 2 giant allen bolts holding the ignition to the top triple. Then there was just two normal screws to take off to get to the key cylinder and lock piston thing.

Before you start dismantling the bike, confirm your assumption, and everyone else's assumption, that it's the fork lock that is keeping the front end from moving. Seems odd to me that it locked itself. It could be something else.

For example, I own a Daytona 675 that is known for having one of the bolts that holds the steering damper back out and block the steering. It FEELS like the steering is locked, but it's really that loose bolt backing out and jamming the fork.

I would look closely under the fairing, with a flashlight if needed, and see if you can confirm for sure exactly what's keeping the fork from turning.

Nothing to lose...

the handlebars move as far as they would if it was locked. So what i understand, the ignition itself actually contains the metal piece that stops the handlebars from moving? so if i take off the ignition and it is the locking mechanism, then the handlebars will move? the steering dampner seemed fine but i didnt look at it too much. the only thing that i did was rock the handlebars back and forth pretty good and keep twisting the key back and forth.

the handlebars move as far as they would if it was locked. So what i understand, the ignition itself actually contains the metal piece that stops the handlebars from moving? so if i take off the ignition and it is the locking mechanism, then the handlebars will move? the steering dampner seemed fine but i didnt look at it too much. the only thing that i did was rock the handlebars back and forth pretty good and keep twisting the key back and forth.

Yeah the lock is in the ignition switch itself. Although it may be difficult to remove it with it locked. It's probably either bolted or riveted on the bike.See if you can get a small screwdriver into the locking mechanism. You may be able to pry the locking bolt while you turn the key. There might be a broken piece inside so it isn't pulling the lock back.

Tommy if you can't turn the key to unlock you won't be able to turn it to start the bike take the whole ignition back to the locksmith

i dropped the ignition and got the pin back in, thanks guys!!!!

Maybe you should have just omitted the pin from your bike. I'm predicting more trouble down the road. If the pin wiggles towards where its not supposed to be, while you are riding, it could get ugly...