Winter Riding Gear

dorifto240

Under-armor "winter-weight" base layer, a decent long-sleeved shirt, Carhart hoodie, and a good riding jacket (preferably lined and windproof). Fleece balaclava, wool watch cap, and good goggles. The heaviest gloves you can safely use, or some medium-weight gloves and a set of giant ATV mitts on the bars. Sturdy boots, but not steel-toes.

This basic setup served me nicely all through the last winter, and combined with a backpack (for adding/ removing layers) is pretty versatile in the variable weather we get this time of year.

Under-armor "winter-weight" base layer

Expensive, and not that great IMHO. Try Go Athletic's base layers....best shit made, and it's US owned and manufactured, literally half the price of UA's. Great people to deal with, too.

Their new Sub Zero line is the warmest base layer material I've ever felt in my life, just incredible stuff.

http://goathleticapparel.com/

scottie, steel-toes transmit cold right to your foot...that metal is a great conductor.

I'd spring for heated grips...best accessory for cold riding there is, and if you can't do that then tape a chemical hand warmer to your wrist...heats the blood going to your hand and fingers. Works on feet too...the main veins are on the top of the foot.

Right now I'm using Tourmaster Synergy gloves and vest. Just got home from work and coldest temp reading was 23 degrees. This equates to 1 degree wind chill factor at 55 mph. This combination, along with heated grips was very comfortable. I'm also using a dual pane faceshield and there was no fog or condensation build up.

Expensive, and not that great IMHO. Try Go Athletic's base layers....best shit made, and it's US owned and manufactured, literally half the price of UA's. Great people to deal with, too.

Their new Sub Zero line is the warmest base layer material I've ever felt in my life, just incredible stuff.

scottie, steel-toes transmit cold right to your foot...that metal is a great conductor.

I'd spring for heated grips...best accessory for cold riding there is, and if you can't do that then tape a chemical hand warmer to your wrist...heats the blood going to your hand and fingers. Works on feet too...the main veins are on the top of the foot.

I wish I would have seen this post about a month ago...I bought a Terramar silk/merino wool base layer from Campmor,it's an excellent base layer,but I would rather spend my money on an American made product.I'll probably still try the goathletic base layer...thanks for the info.

I agree....I can't say I was too impressed with under armor.

Edited by drc32-0

if you dont mind me asking why not steel toes?

You're dead right about the steel toes. Once that metal gets cold, all the wool socks in the world won't make a bit of difference.

I've never tried that other brand, I'll have to take a look-- sounds pretty decent. UnderArmor was the first brand of this kind of material I saw, so I decided to give it a shot. I definitely agree that it's expensive, though.

I've never tried that other brand, I'll have to take a look-- sounds pretty decent. UnderArmor was the first brand of this kind of material I saw, so I decided to give it a shot. I definitely agree that it's expensive, though.

I have a bunch of UA stuff, bought it when they were the only game in town, but searching around on the made-in-usa stuff I tripped across Go's line. It's incredible they're cheaper than Vietnamese produced goods, and better by a long shot....what's like that anymore? I think at this point you're paying for UA's popularity more than anything else, so I'm buying the Go stuff while it's cheap and they're trying to buy some market share.

Fieldsheer makes some decent 3/4 length jackets for touring. I have the Aqua Tour and by itself does well down to about 40 along with comparable pants gloves and a balaclava, add layers underneath and a neck gaiter it's good to below freezing.

If you fit what's left of the dwindling supply of their Adventure series, that'd be a good one.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/textile+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_adventure+jacket

The Highland looks almost exactly like the Aqua Tour with more available sizes.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/textile+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_highland+jacket

Although why does every winter/all weather jacket look like I'm going to be stationed on the Death Star?

I'd venture a guess that the people who ride with fashion in mind have their bikes parked all winter, and the people who design and ride with all-weather gear put looks last.

Try Go Athletic's base layers....best shit made, and it's US owned and manufactured, literally half the price of UA's. Great people to deal with, too.

I'm glad to find this before I buy a winter base layer. Do you have any suggestions for a base layer on hands?

I got a pair of Olympia all season gloves, but my fingers still get cold after 30 min at sub-highway speed at ~30 °F. Just found I can fit cotton stretchy gloves underneath, but I'm not sure if that's enough for colder weather.

I'm glad to find this before I buy a winter base layer. Do you have any suggestions for a base layer on hands?

I got a pair of Olympia all season gloves, but my fingers still get cold after 30 min at sub-highway speed at ~30 °F. Just found I can fit cotton stretchy gloves underneath, but I'm not sure if that's enough for colder weather.

Heated grips! You can do them as cheap as $20 if you put the under-grip models on, or something like the Oxford Heaterz for around $70 for an all-in-one solution. They are the tits, don't eat much power, and are unobtrusive.

I've never found any glove solution that compares...unless it's heated.

Hand guards help a lot too.

Cutting the amount of wind makes a world of difference. The GS500 has a standard handlebar setup so you may be able to make dirtbike handguards work. I actually plotted to do that to my old SV650 but that bike didn't stick around long enough for me to pull it off.

And here I tried to avoid electric add-ons due to some fear it'd be too much for the system, but if they aren't that big a deal, I'll add 'em. Warm hands make a world of difference.

Heated glove liners sound pretty spiffy, too.

I've found that with effective layering along with a good jacket and pants works well into the 20s. The only heated-anything I use are gloves. I've been happy with my Gerbings G5s. Gloves only don't draw that much current, and I think the battery off a GS500 is still larger than the one on my FJR (seriously) and you've got less stuff to keep powered.