Dilema: CR250R rebuild

Beegreenstrings

Well, I purchased what used to be one of my old troy race bikes from 1994. Loved that thing. It's the one (we think) that took my knee out.

Anyway, made a deal on it and bought it back knowing it needed a piston. Bought a kit and all new gaskets. Went to do it and discovered it had a hole in the case.

So, took it to a guy to have it rebuilt with a fresh set of cases (he had sitting) said he would make me a hell of a deal on the cases. I thought sure why not. 200 bones for the new cases and a new kicker and bearings plus his time (aaahh the kicker, sort-a-speak)...:rolleyes:

He calls the other day after 2 months and says it's done.

I call him back and talk to him and find out it is 480.00 bones!!! WTF... Damn near through the phone. Knowing my attitude when it comes to this I got off the phone quick. Thought that would be best, and left it as I would get back to him.

This is way more than I expected! at most I was at 320.00 not prepared for the other 160. So, do I look at parting the rest of the bike out and let him know he can keep it or do I try and sell him the bike... becuase at this point I no longer want it...

I know neither solution sounds good, I am just pissed and need to bitch about it...:rant:

I would much rather just do this :bigfinger:

Or someone could just buy that neon I have and I will put this thing back together and sell it.

So what do you have in it total?

With his price I know have 980 in it.

Its a 94 so its not worth much is my guess.

actually with a new seat cover it would look pretty good

$280 = 4 hours of labor, what did you expect?

I did not expect to get ass raped but should have since I am now hearing about this all around town that this is his normal act.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

Is this a legit Honda of Troy race bike? If so, there are probably unobtanium type parts in there...

If it is simply a CR250 with a Troy Racing sticker kit, the bike isn't worth anything and you'd be hard pressed to get a break even amount out of the parts if you tore it down and sold them via Ebay.

That being said, there are still guys riding those things and parts are getting tough to find. Ebay is the best bet, but it is going to take a while...

The labor is actually pretty cheap. If there was a hole that was needing repaired, the cases need completely split and torn down and cleaned before welding. Otherwise, especially that old, oil and such are in the pours so to speak and cannot be done easily while together... Sounds like a reasonable deal.

What people get shocked over is the price of labor increases over the years while their bikes depreciate. At some point, it becomes too costly to work on older bikes and it ends up being a loss...

I did not expect to get ass raped but should have since I am now hearing about this all around town that this is his normal act.

Do you have proof that he quoted you the original price? A verbal contract is a binding contract in a court of law if you can prove it.

If this is his standard thing to quote one price and then charge another, I believe that can come under bait & switch laws. If anything, a solid threat of legal actions with big dollar signs attached to it might back him down fast.

I say call his bluff; or if worse comes to worse "collect" back your property. If he's a shady little f*%k odds are he won't do anything.

So, took it to a guy to have it rebuilt with a fresh set of cases (he had sitting) said he would make me a hell of a deal on the cases. I thought sure why not. 200 bones for the new cases and a new kicker and bearings plus his time (aaahh the kicker, sort-a-speak)...:rolleyes:
Do you have proof that he quoted you the original price? A verbal contract is a binding contract in a court of law if you can prove it.

If this is his standard thing to quote one price and then charge another, I believe that can come under bait & switch laws. If anything, a solid threat of legal actions with big dollar signs attached to it might back him down fast.

I say call his bluff; or if worse comes to worse "collect" back your property. If he's a shady little f*%k odds are he won't do anything.

The first statement was worded kinda funky, but if the quote was $200 for cases, kicker, and bearings only, there will be a charge for labor.

In this case the labor was $280 (4 hours @ $70/hr presumably) which for a job of this magnitude is not out of line.

after talking to a few others that asked where I took it, I was laughed at and told you got took! Plain and simple chalk it up to, that wont EVER happen again!

If it was my 94 then yes it is a True Troy race bike. Do I have proof that it is my bike, no. The only thing I have that proves it could have been mine is a engraving on the old cases. But just like now, we had to change them out. I am dropping the other cases off tomorrow to a buddy that believe he can fix them? We will see.

• 4 months later...

I'm in the middle of a ground up restoration of my '96 CR250R - blew the trans last season, quoted from Honda on the left case-half only - $350!! WTF!!! Found a complete engine on ebay and got it shipped for $400, so now I've got a spare cylinder / head cap / carb / right side case / trans / crank-n-rod...etc. Was told the engine I bought ran fine then all of a sudden just died, but still kicked over - so I was assuming the top end went, which is fine since I was only needing the bottom end and cases. The used engine's piston skirt is blown apart but cylinder looks good until I split the cases and found that part of the piston had ran between the crank weight and case bottom, CRACKED.......damnit.......think some JB weld in and around it should cure the problem but the bottom end was the whole reason I bought this thing in the first place......damnit, again. I'm doing the work myself with all the parts I've got now, should be able to build one good engine from both bad ones. I was afraid of being bent over like you're talking about, so I'm taking my time and going slow. All new bearings and gasket kit came in over the winter, now that the weather is breaking I'll be able to get back on the job. Once the engines built, I'll beadblast the frame and have powdercoated to match the new bodykit........once it's done, it'll be and a blacked out Honda with about $900 invested after buying the bike 3 years ago for $1200 - all in all, hope to break even on the resell after break-in and some fun first

Good luck...

I have decided to put this one back together and cut my loses. I was going to do the whole route like you are talking, but would have had more in it than it is worth. I was on thumpertalk a few weeks back, and honestly cant put up with the assholes over there. All I asked was if anyone knew of a company that made a repro set of plastics that ACTUALLY fit the 94 frame. Got a dozen BS comments. When I pointed out that there was a difference in the 95-96 and 91-94 I had one guy appogize. I have not been back.

I'm just done with it, truthfully. Rebuilt I think I will be doing good to get a $1K out of it. Money loss and go on...

I don't blame you one bit, I'm just partial to the old 2 smokes - were what I was raised on, so I love 'em more than the thumpers........especially since there's no valvetrain to worry about, top ends are simple to do, and they're typically lighter than stock 4 strokes -- but maybe someday I'll make the switch.

For now, I don't mind losing a couple hundred on the bike if I can get some fun out of her again this summer before I sell

Neighbor got a used DR450Z, had to rebuild it. I rode it the other night. HOLY HELL! Launched banged through all 4 gears and the front end never touched the ground. Wide open across the field, I was like WOW!

I told him it did not have the umph the 250R had, I said My wheel would have never left the ground. When he looked at me puzzled, I laughed and said the back tire would have been spinning too fast. :D

Yeah, theres quite a difference between the two - I've always been used to keeping up the rev's on 2strokes to keep within the powerband - but thumpers got torque throughout the rev range and take some getting used to - my old 96'r is just about bored out to the limit on this sleeve, and has gobs of power with the Fatty pipe - gives most 450's a run for their money ( equally loaded down, I'm about 280lbs ) but my favorite part is I can dump it, jump back on, and I'm only one kick away from riding again - these 4strokes can be a real bear to fire back up w/o elec start - just one of those bittersweet realities with 4stroke power.