Who do you want as the next Governor of Ohio?

Casper

Who do you want as the next Governor of Ohio?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Governor of Ohio?

• John Kasich (R)
    • Ken Matesz (L)
    • Dennis Spisak (GM)
    • Ted Strickland (D)

Yea, our 3C money went to Cali.

There are other states that mandate 180 days, period. That's just the start, I don't have a lot to bitch about yet because he hasn't done anything significant yet. This is the the start of the downhill trend.

Education -- is pretty important, and it's not like our tax dollars aren't paying for those teachers, admins, etc. to be there on those days - they get paid regardless... I wish I got additional paid vacation at the taxpayers expense. So, does Kasich have a good reason to go to five days, other than "the weather is bad" and "my daughter would like 2 more days off school"? Really?

There are other states that mandate 180 days, period. That's just the start, I don't have a lot to bitch about yet because he hasn't done anything significant yet. This is the the start of the downhill trend.

Education -- is pretty important, and it's not like our tax dollars aren't paying for those teachers, admins, etc. to be there on those days - they get paid regardless... I wish I got additional paid vacation at the taxpayers expense. So, does Kasich have a good reason to go to five days, other than "the weather is bad" and "my daughter would like 2 more days off school"? Really?

Is two more days in school really a solution to our education problems? No. Doesn't help anything. You're clearly complaining just to complain at this point.

And for the record, but not entirely related to this, I'm for abolishing individual schools districts. There should be one Ohio school district, with one Ohio school tax. All schools get equal funding. All schools share resources. No more $75k/yr teaching jobs in the suburbs and $20k/yr in the inner cities. Raises based on performance, not seniority/tenure. Students should get July and August off for Summer break, and two weeks around Christmas/New Years off for winter break. Students should be allowed to review their instructors at the end of every term/year, just like colleges do.

As for the 3C rail money going to California, you can blame the Obama administration for that one. Kasich wanted to keep it in Ohio for things it really needs like road repairs and improvements. Obama administration said no and took it away.

So let me see if I understand your stance; you give 'em snow days during the winter and then make up for them later in the year, right?

With that mentality, the teachers will get paid for the snow days and then get paid for the extra days at the end of the year. Costing, wait for it....

MORE money.

No, the teachers should be paid a salary to teach a certain number of hours per year. Regardless of when they occur. Adding two extra 'calamity days' to the schedule are just going to be "free days" for when there is pay for no work. Wasteful gov't spending.

It's not like I'm saying they can't call off for the children's safety. But that should be made up later. 14 hours of missed school adds up pretty quick if it happens each year.

Edited by JRMMiii

MLK Day, Pres Day, SB... yea, they make them up, but Kasich wants the makeup days to start after 5 free ones, not the current 3... netting 2 free days, for no valid reason.

Except the teacher's unions would demand the teachers be paid for the 'extra' days. ;)

I just wanna know where all the peoplewent that rail and rail against "gov't waste", they're strangely silent.

When you're talking about paying teachers for two extra days of paid vacation across the entire state. That's a lot of money, I'm guessing. I could see this making sense if there was a budget for it, or if Ohio was ranked #1 in education -- maybe it'd be deserved, but because we live in a state that gets snow and because his 10yr old daughter brought it up... that's the reasoning he's giving? It's going to be a long bumpy road with this guy.

Maybe he doesn't want kids learning about evolution for those two extra days?

They're not paying them anything extra. They're paying them the same amount with the possibly of working two less days.

If you take away the snow days, the teachers get paid extra for the extra days worked. Your rant is the inverse of the reality.

That's a strange way to look at it. With the budgets like they are, just because it doesn't add cost to a bottom line -- it's ok to get less productivity? And that's not counted as being wasteful? And of all the areas to waste money... wasting money on the side of LESS education is really the direction you'd wanna go?

Edited by JRMMiii

They're not paying them anything extra. They're paying them the same amount with the possibly of working two less days.

If you take away the snow days, the teachers get paid extra for the extra days worked. Your rant is the inverse of the reality.

this.

Also, in the long run it could end up a lot cheaper. Reason being for this is in my own school district when I was a kid we were out of snow days so the district had us go to school. We had school busses and not 1, but 2 slid off the road. One of them I was on and although very minor incident 2 parents decided to sue from my bus and 1 from the other. All 3 won settlements because of the unsafe environment or some shit, now tell me is that cheaper than an extra 2 days that maybe a handful of school districts will actually use? I'm guessing no.

That's a strange way to look at it. With the budgets like they are, just because it doesn't add cost to a bottom line -- it's ok to get less productivity? And that's not counted as being wasteful? And of all the areas to waste money... wasting money on the side of LESS education is really the direction you'd wanna go?

While I fully agree that it is time that you never get back to educate the booger factories, it doesn't justify paying for these teachers to return on scheduled days off.

Not to mention the effect on morale this will have. Teachers put up with some real bullshit and having a few surprise days off during the winter can go a long way.

Not to mention the effect on morale this will have. Teachers put up with some real bullshit and having a few surprise days off during the winter can go a long way.

also very true. My buddy is a teacher and some of the stories I get from him are crazy and I think back to what a nightmare some of my classmates were. Teachers have it a lot rougher than most people want to believe, personally I think its a 60/40 split of underpaid to overpaid teachers

While I fully agree that it is time that you never get back to educate the booger factories, it doesn't justify paying for these teachers to return on scheduled days off.

Now you're flipping the script... right now calamity days are at 3, Kasich wants to increase it to 5... so they aren't scheduled days off. Teachers are aware of their state and district policies on making up days if they go over on 'calamity days'. So the two bonus days will be additional paid vacation on top of the 3 months they already get.

Everyone has to put up with bullshit - it's life. People pursue the careers they do for various reasons, but that's not an excuse. If they need a personal day for their own mental health, then that can be part of their sick leave.

Along with having the summers off, they get more holidays than most of us too, and now they need additional days off given by the state to improve morale? They're just as free to walk off their job and go work somewhere else as the rest of us.

Maybe he doesn't want kids learning about THE THEORY OF evolution for those two extra days?

Fixed. :stirpot:

Aren't teachers paid a straight salary anyway? I know a few that I can ask if about how it all works.

Everyone has to put up with bullshit - it's life. People pursue the careers they do for various reasons, but that's not an excuse. If they need a personal day for their own mental health, then that can be part of their sick leave.

True

I've worked with teamsters, "supposedly" one of the tougher pain in the ass unions to work with. I hands down would work with ANY union over dealing with kids. EVER. And I like kids, no not in that way you sons of bitches :D

Aren't teachers paid a straight salary anyway? I know a few that I can ask if about how it all works.

yes...at least the 2 districts my buddy has worked for and its prorated through the calendar year just like you and I

yes...at least the 2 districts my buddy has worked for and its prorated through the calendar year just like you and I

I think the majority are that way, the teachers still get paid through the summer, for what they did through the school year. If that's the case, I don't see what where having more calamity days are as big of a deal financially. It's a pain in the rear for families trying to plan vacations, etc... based on the last day of school, so that's why I don't want to see more days.

The goal of reducing allowed calamity days is to make sure students are in school more. Yocum said added days don't cost the district any more because "everybody's already been paid for that day."

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20101215/NEWS01/12150306/0/PREPSGALLERIES/?odyssey=nav|head