Getting a truck

Osiris-016

I had a single cab 94 toyota pickup just like that one on CL and it was a good truck! Never had any problems with it! Only thing I wish it had was a ext cab!

I had a 00 Tacoma V6 manual ext cab with frame rust issues, and I just sold it back to Toyota (in Aug) for 1.5x's KBB value in excellent condition! It was a great truck and wish it didn't have the frame rust problem... but I then, turned around with my cash and got a 01 Double cab Tacoma with lift and everything I wanted and I pocketed some cash as well.. it does have a good frame!

I'd go with the 94 over any Ford if I were you.. I've owned them all.. and I've always found my way back to a Toyota pickup! HAHA

I had a single cab 94 toyota pickup just like that one on CL and it was a good truck! Never had any problems with it! Only thing I wish it had was a ext cab!

I had a 00 Tacoma V6 manual ext cab with frame rust issues, and I just sold it back to Toyota (in Aug) for 1.5x's KBB value in excellent condition! It was a great truck and wish it didn't have the frame rust problem... but I then, turned around with my cash and got a 01 Double cab Tacoma with lift and everything I wanted and I pocketed some cash as well.. it does have a good frame!

I'd go with the 94 over any Ford if I were you.. I've owned them all.. and I've always found my way back to a Toyota pickup! HAHA

I'm just having a hard time finding the right year/model. I google for their problems and so many different people say so many different things. The biggest concern is obviously gas mileage, and then people say oh no engines in x year to y year are terrible because of z. Does gas mileage even change year-to-year? Or is it all bullshit and they all do the same.

What are you planning to haul? If its just a bike get a 4banger with a hitch and get a trailer for 300 or so. You won't have a problem and will have more room in the car.

Yea mostly just bikes and landscape materials when needed. I'd prefer the 4 banger over anything else, but if they all get similar gas mileage then I don't see the point in it.

I've never really believed in the whole "oh this truck is better than that truck" because obviously people are going to be biased based upon whether they're a fanboy of one company or the other. I personally like the look of the Ford Ranger and the Toyota as well, but I don't think there's much difference between the two. No heavy duty hauling is going to be involved, maybe just tugging a boat around every once in a while and putting it in the water. That's about the biggest thing I'd be pulling, or maybe even a tent trailer, but by that time I'd probably get a bigger truck.

All I'm looking to get out of it is just a different style of car, to try them out and see if I really like them. No harm in that, and I'd rather stay on the conservative side with the smaller engines seeing as how this will be my daily commuter and most of the time I won't even have anything in the back. Single cab is fine, double is preferred for the 1 extra seat :p

Either one will do what you want. Personally, I am a ford fan. If you can find a ranger with the 4.0, they aren't that bad on gas. I just drove to Toledo over the weekend, and didn't have to put gas into the truck until I was just north of Columbus, on my way back. Almost 400miles out of the tank. Not to bad in my opinion.

My truck is a 97 extended cab, 4x4 xlt with a 4.0 5speed. Given it isn't the best seating for passengers, but it gives you more room for the driver to adjust the seat, and gives some storage for stuff you don't want to put in the back.

My dad bought the truck new in 97, and I got the truck from him in 07. The truck now has 155,000 miles. Still runs strong. Take care of the truck, and it will last.

Only things that have had to be replaced were the brakes, clutch and thermostat. The truck sat for almost 2 years before I got it, so the mentioned parts fell apart when they started to be used again.

Either one will do what you want. Personally, I am a ford fan. If you can find a ranger with the 4.0, they aren't that bad on gas. I just drove to Toledo over the weekend, and didn't have to put gas into the truck until I was just north of Columbus, on my way back. Almost 400miles out of the tank. Not to bad in my opinion.

My truck is a 97 extended cab, 4x4 xlt with a 4.0 5speed. Given it isn't the best seating for passengers, but it gives you more room for the driver to adjust the seat, and gives some storage for stuff you don't want to put in the back.

My dad bought the truck new in 97, and I got the truck from him in 07. The truck now has 155,000 miles. Still runs strong. Take care of the truck, and it will last.

Only things that have had to be replaced were the brakes, clutch and thermostat. The truck sat for almost 2 years before I got it, so the mentioned parts fell apart when they started to be used again.

I'm going to be looking at a 4.0L 4x2 tomorrow, should I pass this up? I mean, a 4.0 without 4x4, wouldn't that kind of be defeating the point of having a 4.0?