weightlifting

Hutch

anyone into lifting weights or other workouts? and what, if any supplements you take. what do you think is good and what is a waste.

I know everyone likes to workout over the winter to shed some pounds or get that beach body.:) If you do post up your goals and your workouts and any tips you have that might help others out. this might help keep some going when they are ready to quit.

Make sure you get enough protein, 1 gram for every pound of body weight, keep the animal fat content low. Plant fat, like olive oil is good. I don't do any suppliments other than a protein shake or a Speed Stack for energy at the gym, a couple of guys are into bodybuilding there, the stuff they do with their diet makes me cringe, green beans & tuna when they're cutting. Ehh, couldn't live on that, but it works for them.

Here's Tim, he won his event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLbprPU3RZ4&feature=related

Here's Randy, he's 64 had a triple bypass and is still in better shape than most of us will ever get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouLhb7cUTA

Don't pay any attention to Randys wife, she gets a little too excited.

They use Creatine, some swear by it, I've never used it, but they say you need to drink a lot of water with it as it dehydrates you.

Really though, for the most part supplements are just a percentage point thing. Unless you're really going for 110% like those guys they're not going to do much of anything, unless you're talking steroids or HGH and that shit can fuck you up even if you're careful. The most important things by far are Lift, Protein, Sleep.

As far as lifting goes, start with the big 3. Bench, Squat, Deadlift on three different days. Use the right technique, lifting out of form WILL fuck you up, especially on the Deadlift, having a pulled back muscle hurts like a motherfucker.

From there you can add different lifts that compliment whatever you're working that day, for instance, if you're doing bench, you're mainly working the chest and triceps, so you'd want to do lifts that hit those, like Dips, Tri Extensions and Dumbbell Flys or the pec deck. On squat days, that's legs, so Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls and Calf Raises. On Deadlift days, you're hitting pretty much everything, but more on the ass & back, so Straightleg Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Pull Downs, Pull Ups and Bent Rows. Since doing most anything back also hits the biceps, may as well get some curls in then too. I like to put shoulder day in with legs, since they'll be fresh when I hit them, Arnold Presses, Upright Rows, Lateral Raises and Shoulder Shrugs.

Here's a good site with animated gif's for each lift and tells you what they hit.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Edited by psyco1
  • Upvote 1

Make sure you get enough protein, 1 gram for every pound of body weight, keep the animal fat content low. Plant fat, like olive oil is good. I don't do any suppliments other than a protein shake or a Speed Stack for energy at the gym, a couple of guys are into bodybuilding there, the stuff they do with their diet makes me cringe, green beans & tuna when they're cutting. Ehh, couldn't live on that, but it works for them.

Here's Tim, he won his event.

Here's Randy, he's 64 had a triple bypass and is still in better shape than most of us will ever get.

Don't pay any attention to Randys wife, she gets a little too excited.

They use Creatine, some swear by it, I've never used it, but they say you need to drink a lot of water with it as it dehydrates you.

Really though, for the most part supplements are just a percentage point thing. Unless you're really going for 110% like those guys they're not going to do much of anything, unless you're talking steroids or HGH and that shit can fuck you up even if you're careful. The most important things by far are Lift, Protein, Sleep.

As far as lifting goes, start with the big 3. Bench, Squat, Deadlift on three different days. Use the right technique, lifting out of form WILL fuck you up, especially on the Deadlift, having a pulled back muscle hurts like a motherfucker.

From there you can add different lifts that compliment whatever you're working that day, for instance, if you're doing bench, you're mainly working the chest and triceps, so you'd want to do lifts that hit those, like Dips, Tri Extensions and Dumbbell Flys or the pec deck. On squat days, that's legs, so Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls and Calf Raises. On Deadlift days, you're hitting pretty much everything, but more on the ass & back, so Straightleg Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Pull Downs, Pull Ups and Bent Rows. Since doing most anything back also hits the biceps, may as well get some curls in then too. I like to put shoulder day in with legs, since they'll be fresh when I hit them, Arnold Presses, Upright Rows, Lateral Raises and Shoulder Shrugs.

Here's a good site with animated gif's for each lift and tells you what they hit.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Damn good post right here :bow:

anyone into lifting weights or other workouts? and what, if any supplements you take. what do you think is good and what is a waste.

I know everyone likes to workout over the winter to shed some pounds or get that beach body.:) If you do post up your goals and your workouts and any tips you have that might help others out. this might help keep some going when they are ready to quit.

I lifted/trained for a full year from 2006-2007 M.W.F. Pretty descent shape. Didn't take the diet seriously, but always pushed myself in the gym. Took almost 4 years off. Just got back into it about a month and a half ago. This time 100% serious. Nutrition, training, etc. Currently lifting M.W.F, with cardio in between with Sunday off. Not losing as fast as i would like, but i've put on a few pounds of muscle already.

I take Optimum whey protein. And body fortress fruit punch creatine, as well as Optimum casein protein.

optimum-100-whey-gold-5lb.jpg

on-100-casein1.jpg

074312674068.jpg

My biggest goal is to be 200 or under by October of next year. And 220 something by this spring.

I can't really say what supplement's aren't worth it, but i plan on buying some Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix soon. On Bodybuilding.com they have some great reviews, and doesn't hurt Hoblick's wife's brother is the president of MP.

To everyone who is busting it out, keep going. Stay motivated, don't stop. Best of luck.

Bodybuilding.com has some great inspirational/motivational threads. From fat to fit, and the handicapped/physically challenged lifters.

i recently started lifting a few months ago. I now go 6 days a week about an hour a day and have lost over 40 lbs. only "supplements" i use are protein shakes (one with breakfast and one immediately after i workout)but i have changed my diet drasticaly. Lots of fruits, veggies, turkey, and chicken. I still eat red meat occasionaly and even drink beer. I follow something similar to the p90x nutrition plan.

I usually alternate between legs, abs, and back one day then chest, arms, shoulders another then throw a day on the treadmill and bike between. I usually workout at a pretty fast pace though, helps build up some cardio to. Worked great for me so far

It depends on your goals but in the winter I usually went with a 5x5 program either Mad cow or Riptoes Starting Strength (or another variation). For spring/summer I'd do a targeted split on different body parts once a week. As far as supplements go.

1. A good multi vitamin

2. Whey protein, I go with something with low cholesterol ON is a good quality brand.

3. NO2 (the pumps are incredible with this stuff.)

4. Creatine Monohydrate (used it here and their. I'm not a huge fan cause it made me feel bloated, but my buddies swore by it).

I'm not a huge supplement guy or a huge guy period. I used the NO2 here and their. When my arm is fully healed and I can start lifting again I'll probably use some NO2 to get some of what I've lost back. As stated Bodybuilding.com is a great site but a lot of dick heads are on their.

I use to lift back in Florida, cheaper gyms. I tried to lift to cut the fat and build the muscle. I stopped cause of getting married and moving. I started swimming at the Y last year but stopped when I started lifting again. I love working out. I played two years of college baseball and we worked out and ran everyday. Running, not so much fun, but lifting, LOVE IT! I took V12 (Sans) back in the day, but trying to go natural from now on. Just eating healthier now, and doing a few things in the house, since I watch the kid and have no money or time for a gym at this point. There is a gym at work, but it's the time that I need to find to get there...LOL! I also use to see a nutritionist and learned A LOT. Trying to cut the crap is the hardest, especially this time of year.

The sad thing is I have tons of stuff in my house to get in shape with just no time, energy, or drive to do it. Nice free weight set 300 pounds of weights, curl bars preacher seat set up. tread mill, eliptical glider, cardio glide rowing machine. P90x (wife was stupid and bought the whole set) I just need to get my ass up and moving again?

I like the 5x5 good strength gains. The p90x not so much. Now the insanity workouts are the shit if you want to lose weight. Add in some basic weight lifting and you are good to go.

Some of by better lifts 375 for 5 sets of 5

225 for 52 NFL combine style (good for 30 now)

Front squat 405 x ten (not so much anymore)

I like the 5x5 good strength gains. The p90x not so much. Now the insanity workouts are the shit if you want to lose weight. Add in some basic weight lifting and you are good to go.

Some of by better lifts 375 for 5 sets of 5

225 for 52 NFL combine style (good for 30 now)

Front squat 405 x ten (not so much anymore)

Body weight now 285 going to get back down to 250 by next riding season

Eat right 6-7 smaller meals a day !! Cut out the majority of fats/sugars in your foods, cut back the carbs. (Eat Chicken, Eggwhites, Tuna, Broccoli, lean steak etc. etc , your body will need some fats though. just watch it and limit it. )

Cardio to help shed fat and stay lean

Protein 1-2gr / lb bodyweight

Creatine - Each person has different results.

You will probably get bad gas/shits when you first start the protein/creatine.

Drink tons of water!!! 1 gal per day should be your starting goal.

Pre and post workout shakes depending on your goals.

PROPER FORM LIFTING!!... Dont try and go heavy.. work on your form more than anything and strength will come with time. Every time you lift heavier then you should, your form will suffer and you may pull something which only sets you back in your end goal.

I suggest free weights over using the bar when it comes to bench (incline, flat, decline)

Decline is hard on the shoulders, fyi.

Edited by flounder

I used to be REALLY into working out. Now, i have a lot less free time.

Because everyone's bodies are so different, there is no "magic bullet" supplement or workout routine.

I think it is good to work out with someone else, just to force you to do exercises you don't like every so often, but do what works for YOU. I also know that I can't work out at home. I'll just find something else to do. Adjust the music, check the computer, etc. I HAVE to go to a gym.

In college I ate TONS of tuna, 3 protein shakes a day (80 grams each), creatine, and lifting heavy. I got up to 187 lbs. at my biggest, and could bench 255 or so. for me, 187 is huge. I went into college at 148 lbs, and I remember putting 165 on my drivers license when I turned 21, but I was really more like 162.

In Daytona Beach after my senior year, I was 187 and pretty happy with the way I carried it. Those were the days.

Now I just don't have the time to work out for 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week, so I do more cardio and walk around at more like 170... I'd like to put on some more muscle, but school keeps me away from the gym. Life gets in the way. I'm still "in shape," but I'm not big anymore. maybe some other time.

As far as supplements (for getting bigger), I like:

- NO Xplode. It tastes better than most of the other NO infused creatines. My buddy Russ (who is absolutely jacked...) swears by NO Shotgun. Both are over-priced and will give you the shits for the first week you take them.

- whey protein. whatever mixes well. You're going to be taking a lot if your goal is to gain mass, so it better at least mix well if it doesn't taste good...

I cycle any creatine I take, just because I feel like it stops giving me any gains after about a month. At most, I'll do 2 months on, 1 month off.

I also mix in the inexpensive GNC brand (unflavored) Creatine Monohydrate with the more expensive and excessively flavored NO Xplode. That shit's like $35/bottle, so I only take 1-2 scoops, even though they recommend up to 3.