Das Bimmer is totaled...

Flying Brick

Sorry to hear.

Next time you talk to anyone in a position of legal knowledge, as them if helmet-cam footage of the accident would have chnged the outcome, even if the cab # is not captured.

A video would absolutley prove that the accident involved a blue cab. In your situation it's your word against them and if they cover it up then you can't even prove the Blue Cab was there.

True, but not practical. I ride everyday. Having a video camera on at all times would get really annoying.

I don't know if its cab drivers in general or just the ones around Columbus, but they are all terrible drivers. I can't count the number of times I've almost been taken out by one of those assholes doing stupid stuff like unsignaled u-turns in the middle of the road, blasting through a red light while turning right, and of course the classic blind left turn.

You think someone who makes their living would actually be good at driving -_-

Glad you're alright, and CONGRATS on the wedding!

True, but not practical. I ride everyday. Having a video camera on at all times would get really annoying.

I ride every day too. The camera is the size of a two c-cell batteries end-on-end. The wiring runs into the lockable toolbox to a recorder that activates when the key is in the engine-run position. It has a 4GB SD card that's good for a week's riding (1.5-2hrs per day) and automatically overwrites the old stuff. It's full automated, I never have to interact with it except to review video if something happens, or to test it (once a week). The camera is installed on the windshield bracket looking through the windshield.

Total cost was about $250.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWsf3VSK8w

I'm on the lookout for a better camera that can handle the sun wihtout getting blinded...

Edited by Scruit

I had the same thoughts. Lawyer said it would just get thrown out. The police said the driver would likely get it repaired by a shady bodyshop. Insurance said without getting a plate number, there is not much I can do. Had I not left for my wedding, I might have stormed in there. The only piece of the car I have is the wheel cover, the VIN isn't on that for sure.

what exactly would you be suing for? I am assuming insurance is picking up the tab on the bike, right?

I'm just asking because I don't know what type of lawyer you talked to, or how you know (or don't know) them.

I'm not an attorney, but I'm in law school, so I know plenty of attorneys and all of my professors provide interesting insight into the field of law they left when they started teaching.

Playing devil's advocate against the attorney, I don't think your case would get thrown out, but I'm going to suggest the possibility that he's thinking, "hmmm, insurance is paying for the bike, and this guy walked away without serious injury - there's nowhere for me to make any money on this case even if I collect 60% of the awarded damages."

Your insurance company is playing the game of odds here - they're betting it's going to cost less to pay you for the bike than it will cost to track down and sue the cab driver, or cab company. They're probably right.

So I'll ask it again, what damages would you be suing for?

It would be more a case of the insurance company being able to subrogate to BlueCab. Get FlyingBrick's deductable back and keeping the accident off his record...

Did you make a collision claim on an Uninsured Motorist (hit/skip) claim. Normally a UM claim requires you get a plate#. Dunno if a company name would do it...

what exactly would you be suing for? I am assuming insurance is picking up the tab on the bike, right?

I'm just asking because I don't know what type of lawyer you talked to, or how you know (or don't know) them.

I'm not an attorney, but I'm in law school, so I know plenty of attorneys and all of my professors provide interesting insight into the field of law they left when they started teaching.

Playing devil's advocate against the attorney, I don't think your case would get thrown out, but I'm going to suggest the possibility that he's thinking, "hmmm, insurance is paying for the bike, and this guy walked away without serious injury - there's nowhere for me to make any money on this case even if I collect 60% of the awarded damages."

Your insurance company is playing the game of odds here - they're betting it's going to cost less to pay you for the bike than it will cost to track down and sue the cab driver, or cab company. They're probably right.

So I'll ask it again, what damages would you be suing for?

You're probably exactly right. But I'm not getting enough back to get a true replacement, and a $1000 deductible doesn't help. Seriously messed up some of our wedding plans too. But mostly, the fact that they drove away when I could have been dead or dying in a ditch really bothers me.

Oh trust me, it BOTHERS me too, but you can only sue for actual damages.

It sound like the only "damage" is the loss of the deductible and maybe some small monetary award for 'future damages' due to an increase in your insurance rates. That's $1000 for deductible and ~$1000 for future damages maybe? I don't know how much per year your rates will go up or how long an accident stays on your record, but I'll estimate a $200 increase for 5 years.

Not enough for a lawyer working on contingency to care about. Shitty, but true - same reason a concrete contractor won't pour the foundation for a dog house when the neighbor's trying to hire them to pour an entire driveway.

The insurance company is the one losing the most money here, and thus they should be the ones eager to sue ...but they do this all the time, and they're being realistic about the odds of finding the proper party and the cost of winning.

Edited by redkow97

The insurance company is the one losing the most money here, and thus they should be the ones eager to sue ...but they do this all the time, and they're being realistic about the odds of finding the proper party and the cost of winning.

Yup - easier for them to let FlyingBrick take the hit. :nono: So to speak.

theres a government funded somolian neighborhood right next to my house.....want me to go look for the cab? you know its gotta be in there somewhere.

:D

You're being racist... :lol:

New invention - A Wheezle (Lance) on the front of the bike (Think of Knights jousting). You pull in front of a bike and you'll get the pointy end in your ear...

Fixed, someone will get it.

theres a government funded somolian neighborhood right next to my house.....want me to go look for the cab? you know its gotta be in there somewhere.

It's funny because it's true. This was my first thought when I heard about it.

I hate taxis so much. Even in my car, they just stop in the middle of the street, no lights at all, and just sit there. They don't know how to drive, either. I mean, he could have at least pulled into the little side street which was completely empty, but no. Had to stop right in the middle of the fucking road.