Question for the cruiser tribe

Xfz

I have to admit that I like the looks of some cruiser bikes.:o So, are there any cruisers bikes that handle well with decent ground clearance etc. ??? I would consider getting one but NOT something just to look at. If not from the factory, can they be made to work better. Certainly not looking to replace the 1000RR but, dragging shit on the pavement is for the birds. I am looking for a bike to enjoy at a more relaxed and comfortable pace. (Please no two-fiddy jokes or that I am slow enough as it is. ) HAS ANYONE TRIED TO IMPROVE A CRUISER AND MAKE IT MORE COMPETENT? MORE LIKE A STANDARD BIKE.

Well I own one so take it with a grain of salt, but I love my mean streak. When they were released in '02 they were the best handling power cruiser on the market. The have the brakes from a ZX10. At stock height the bike actually handles really well. However it did drag one of my pegs the day I bought it. They are a little low on power compared to the new power cruisers, but I wouldn't call it slow. It would need the air cleaner replaced to make it run better and a power commander to tune it afterwards but other than that you can run them stock. The stock air system is very restrictive. I have the 1500 version, in 05 (I think) they made it a 1600.

The Yamaha Raider was also alot of fun to ride, but a bit more expensive. It handled well and had quite a bit of HP. It carries a 1900cc power plant.

The Honda VTX 1800 is nice and has more HP then my MS, but I don't like the bar placement stock. For me it would have required either risers, or new bars all together. I'm not sure on the handling as I've never ridden one.

The M109r is another sweet cruiser, but are very wide, almost uncomfortable. Again cannot comment on handling as I haven't ridden one only sat on a few. From what I've read the M109r eats rear tires. They also have dual air cleaners, so you would have to repalce both if you wanted to upgrade, which is $$$.

Obviously the HD VROD is great on HP and handling, but very expensive compared to the Japanese bikes.

I know there are other ones out there, but the above list are the ones I was looking at when I bought my MS.

edit- yeah I forgot about the warrior, I didn't like the bar height or the riding position, but depending on your height you may be ok with it. As mentioned Curby and Hoblick will be able to give you more information.

Edited by Meanie

I have to admit that I like the looks of some cruiser bikes.:o So, are there any cruisers bikes that handle well with decent ground clearance etc. ??? I would consider getting one but NOT something just to look at. If not from the factory, can they be made to work better. Certainly not looking to replace the 1000RR but, dragging shit on the pavement is for the birds. I am looking for a bike to enjoy at a more relaxed and comfortable pace. (Please no two-fiddy jokes or that I am slow enough as it is. ) HAS ANYONE TRIED TO IMPROVE A CRUISER AND MAKE IT MORE COMPETENT? MORE LIKE A STANDARD BIKE.

I dont know what your after, but I have done some crazy riding with the Valkyrie. It pretty fun to scoot up to the tank and slam the beast through some corners with the knee hanging out. Lots of shit eating grins. Does it handle well? Probably better than 700 pounds has a right too...... But yeah sometimes you do drag pegs. Dont care, the first job of a cruiser is to cruise. Its sweet for that. And if you want thrust, wack the loud handle and the 6 cylinders honk loudly and slam you forward. 100hp, 90ft-lbs torque. Its a stump puller.

I buy bikes that are high function first priority. If they also have a great bling factor, well thats just a plus too. For me the Valky has both.

(Its just personal taste, but V twin motors have never clicked for me.)

Edited by mello dude

vmax would be something else to consider... not the best stock, by any means...but with a r1 front brake upgrade, and a little suspension work - they do alright...if you ever have a problem dragging the pegs, they make a nice rear set for them to push the stuff up a little more and give you some more clearance...and its a v4 - hello torque

warrior handles great, would be better if mine wasnt lowered..

the brakes are right off the R1.. and they are incredible!

forks are basically r1 forks, but they are a little longer obviously to fit the bike.

rear shock im told is off the r1 as well, but resprung for the warrior.

you can definately tell the suspension is sportbike derived compared to other cruisers

I admit that I would like to have a cruiser some day. Same deal here, I'd like some lean angle and performance, and dual disk up front is appreciated. As well as fuel injection. The part I still have trouble with, is the heavy weight of most cruisers. I don't want a heavy weight bike.

The compromise, is that if it's got hard bags and stuff for long range touring and riding, an extra 100 to 150 pounds is reasonable.

I just don't want an 800 pound bike.

So I'll watch this thread, and see what comes up...

the Warrior handles very good. but as Hob said, scrapping pipe on corners when it's lowered is not fun. Different pipes would eliminate that problem but my pipes sound awesome. or i could just raise it up, but that's not to eye appealing to me.

And plenty of power for anything you throw at it. comfortable... stock seat makes my ass fall asleep on longer rides but posture is prefect for me. After market bars made the bar height and position perfect. And it looks bad-ass! :)

DSC02109.jpg

I admit that I would like to have a cruiser some day. Same deal here, I'd like some lean angle and performance, and dual disk up front is appreciated. As well as fuel injection. The part I still have trouble with, is the heavy weight of most cruisers. I don't want a heavy weight bike.

The compromise, is that if it's got hard bags and stuff for long range touring and riding, an extra 100 to 150 pounds is reasonable.

I just don't want an 800 pound bike.

So I'll watch this thread, and see what comes up...

i thought id hate the weight of the bike, but honestly once you rollin my warrior is light on its feet.

doenst feel like a heavy bike it has a quick turn in for a cruiser.

just have problem with pipe and peg scrape

i thought id hate the weight of the bike, but honestly once you rollin my warrior is light on its feet.

doenst feel like a heavy bike it has a quick turn in for a cruiser.

just have problem with pipe and peg scrape

How do the warriors handle at speed? Do you feel like you're going to be blown off?

with no aerodynamics whats so ever, speeds outta the question. I've had it up to 110 and thought the world was coming to an end...

The do make a nice upper fairing for it, but don;t know how much it really does help.

this is not the one i saw but you get the point.

20071121183541_mine6.jpg

Edited by curby

i hear buell 1125cr have that muscle cruiser look but with sportbike handling. i'd try to find one of those for sale. i wouldn't pay more than 6000 for it though, with low miles. i hear the red looks fantastic.. and with the high bars, they're VERY comfortable. comfortable enough for a sedate and meek asian man to do 700+ miles of twisties on a 13 hour long ride.

the Warrior handles very good. but as Hob said, scrapping pipe on corners when it's lowered is not fun. Different pipes would eliminate that problem but my pipes sound awesome. or i could just raise it up, but that's not to eye appealing to me.

And plenty of power for anything you throw at it. comfortable... stock seat makes my ass fall asleep on longer rides but posture is prefect for me. After market bars made the bar height and position perfect. And it looks bad-ass! :)

DSC02109.jpg

damn you...don't tempt me like this!

I've riden and owned many o'bike, and my favorite in my 25 years of street riding is my Raider, hands down. It handles great, has plenty of power, and when I added the 250 rear tire, it gave it just a little more height to keep from scrapping. At Deals Gap this year, there were a few in my group scrapping, and I didn't touch once. On my first ride, i was about 3 miles in before I knew I had to have one. Try one out, I think you'll be surprised.

Edited by Ron505

Thanks for all the good info. It looks like the Yamaha and Suzuki offerings are more to my liking. Naturally, the Warrior was discontinued in 09. :wtf: The Marauder is heavy but felt right at home. Strange. The only thing that really amazed me is that they cost the same as an FJR1300. :eek:???