The wave while riding... HD riders - take a peek!

Moto-Brian

Ok, look... I was in a dealership for 6 years. We had to separate the HD side from the metric side. I understand the whole essence of being an HD owner. I understand they are an American brand. I get it all...

However, what I don't get is the fact that a majority of HD riders are douchebag, holier than thou riders that don't seem to give two shits to acknowledge fellow riders unless apparently on HDs.

But, maybe I am looking at this wrong. Maybe it is because a large amount are doctors, white collar workers, business men, etc that buy an HD for the status that it suggests. Maybe they aren't riders and really don't understand anything about the fraternity of motorcycle riders...

But, I am a betting man and have always felt that they aren't all doctors and pretending to be riders... I am almost certain that over 90% of these riders started life on a metric bike. They fell in love with motorcycles at an early age and it was due to the metric machines out there at the time they were growing up. Their enthusiasm and their love started out not with HD, but with a Japanese company...

Now, I understand that sportbike guys get a bad rap from all the squids out there. I understand. But, HD riders don't have the polished image, either. I mean, come on... You guys aren't angels on wheels...

I rode about 1100 miles in the last three days for work riding the RC8 to shops. Came across a LOT of riders in these last few beautiful days. Guess what? Maybe 4 HD riders waved back. I really only think it was three, but I am not sure. But, I saw a shit ton riding and passed a good number on freeways and 2 lane back roads.

Get off the high horse and understand that your prized possession that is supposedly an American icon is over 80% Japanese components. Realize that we all came up through the system with a love for motorcycles and that we all mostly came from Japanese bikes when we started.

Now, if you are a stuffy doctor or a white collared guy that has probably a handful of years riding motorcycles, I understand you don't know much of anything. I understand that you buy for an image and not for a passion. I get it. But, the rest of you guys - it ain't gonna ruin your bad ass image to wave back. It is the one thing that is really cool. You don't see fellow car owners wave at each other. Hell, you don't see common model owners wave at each other... For the most part, fellow bikers wave to each other and acknowledge being a fellow enthusiast.

We did demo tours at Indy for the MotoGP and most riders waved back. The ones that didn't were few on the metric/euro bikes. Most that didn't were HD wannabe riders. At an event that had - YOU GUESSED IT - Metric bikes being raced. It baffles me that these guys and gals come to these events and yet have no thought that it doesn't really matter what brand you ride - we are all riders. We are all enthusiasts. Whether a first time rider or a veteran rider of many miles and many years.

So, stop and think for a minute. I'll still consider you a tough guy, a hard core American steel, stallion rider. You can be whatever you want to be in everyone's eyes. But, when we pass each other, you're a fellow rider. I am simply saying "Hello friend." when I pass by.

So, stop and think for a minute. I'll still consider you a tough guy, a hard core American steel, stallion rider. You can be whatever you want to be in everyone's eyes. But, when we pass each other, you're a fellow rider. I am simply saying "Hello friend." when I pass by.

"Hello Friend" I've read your posts regarding HD's and their riders. More than likely your thinking"there goes another a-hole on a piece of shite HD" Why not try an HD site to ask a question like this. Most Harley riders have left this site due to constant bashing of their bikes and everything associated with them. Edited by Kritz
edited for bad words

the people you just described, are not on OR...so i dont see the point of this thread...anyone who is enough of an enthusiast to participate in this website, is more than likely not the people youre describing.....

:confused:

Well said.

the people you just described, are not on OR...so i dont see the point of this thread...anyone who is enough of an enthusiast to participate in this website, is more than likely not the people youre describing.....

:confused:

Huh? What, we need to discuss this on an HD site rather than here? There are plenty of HD riders on here by the looks of some signatures. Maybe they can start a new trend and get their fellow HD riders to think about the sharing of enthusiasm...

By the way, does there need to be a point to a thread in the "Daily Ride"? I mean, if there has to be a point to every thread, guess what? A lot of threads need to be deleted...:nono:

"Hello Friend" I've read your posts regarding HD's and their riders. More than likely your thinking"there goes another a-hole on a piece of shite HD" Why not try an HD site to ask a question like this. Most Harley riders have left this site due to constant bashing of their bikes and everything associated with them.

Not sure what you are getting at with the "I've read your posts regarding HD's and their riders" but truth be told, it sounds as if I offended you somehow.

I don't bash anything about what they ride. This is a public website and if comments are tough to handle, most likely they weren't enthusiasts anyways. There's no perfect bike or perfect company. However, the idea is pretty universal that HD riders are non waving folks and that sits as being a shame in my mind.

When they go by and don't wave, I think they are assholes and exactly as I described. If they wave, it makes me feel like I passed a fellow rider and not an asshole as you describe.

You guys are aweful touchy. Maybe you need a hug instead?:rolleyes:

Well, we can still complain and bitch about it...

My experience on who waves back:

Factors that make a wave more likely from the other rider:

- I wave early

- They are riding 2-up (sometimes get two waves!)

- Other bike is a touring model (suggesting they ride long distances - posers don't like to ride too far)

- Other rider has a helmet on (Not trying to start a debate on the whys and why nots, that's just my observation)

- I'm commuting to/from work. (Posers don't commute, but some folks commute on small Vespa-tyle scooters and don't do the wave thing)

- Non-ideal riding conditions. (Posers don't ride in the rain or below 50)

Factors that make a wave less likely:

- Other rider cannot spare his or her clutch hand (pulling away from lights, etc. Usually get a nod instead)

- It's the weekend and the weather is perfect

- I'm wearing my dayglo jacket and the other bike is a cruiser

I'm a slut, I'll wave at anything with two wheels. We all share a common enemy (cagers) and the enemy of my enemy is my friend, no?

There are only two types of bike riders that don't wave. The type that glare at you like you are a freak, while they drive into the back end of the vehicle in front of them. And the type that determinedly won't look, while they drive into the back end of the vehicle in front of them.

I've pulled up at stop lights a couple of times, next to HD or metric bikes on the way to work. I wave. Most wave back. Some just sneer at me, and one just jolted upright, turned his nose up, and looked away. Took me a while to figure out why...

I ride this road every day, rain or shine, cold or hot. These other guys ride maybe a few times a year. I've been passing them in their cages every day of the week. They recognize me, I don't recognize them...

The ones I see every day, all the time... They wave...

From another site:

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.

8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.

3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The espresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.

9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.

8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.

7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.

6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.

5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.

4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.

3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.

2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.

1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.

9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."

8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.

7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.

5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.

4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.

3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.

2. You haven't been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.

9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.

8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.

7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.

6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.

5. Faceshield was too covered in mud to see.

4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.

3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.

2. One handed wheelies are not easy.

1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why UJM Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Something's buzzing around the tank.

9. Do you hear than noise the valves are making?

8. Trying to push start.

7. Just felt something shimmy.

6. Trying to isolate source of resonant shudder.

5. Hypnotized by digital gear indicator

4. Needs that hand to affect on-the-fly repairs

3. Previous owner replaced #3 with a 2.5

2.5. Mentally reviewing which parts use SAE and which use metric.

2. Wait, there's a number 2? This bike never had a #2, did it? ****!

1. Can't see your tank badge to determine what brand of bike you're on.

Why scooter riders don't wave back:

10. If you knew what a 10" wheel was like at 50mph, you wouldn't let go of the bars either.

9. And risk droping the PBR 12-pack?

8. Didn't see you - catching a few winks on the way home from an all night clambake.

7. It's a mod vs. rocker thing.

6. They just let the cloud of blue smoke trailing behind the scooter act as their "wave".

5. Hey, if you want 140 mpg, you gotta keep your elbows and knees in and your hands down on the bars.

4. The forty year old original hand grip on their vintage Vespa would fly apart if they let go of it.

3. Yes, I saw you. No Gucci - no gesture.

2. They're being filmed during a commercial shoot for a trendy lifestyle product nobody really needs.

1. Why do motorcyclists keep pointing toward the ground with two fingers when they ride by? What is that? What does it mean?

Edited by Scruit

Mostly outsourced to Canada and Mexico now, just assembled here.

Or assembled in Brazil and shipped back. And the way money is tight for manufacturers, I wouldn't be surprised at assembled in India, Indonesia, Korea, China, etc...

don't laugh, a couple of BMWs are assembled in China.

The odd part about Japanese bikes, is that with manufacturing plants and assembly in the USA, It's close to being an American bike.

The odd part about Japanese bikes, is that with manufacturing plants and assembly in the USA, It's close to being an American bike.

Tax breaks and shipping costs.

They're not doing it because they like to, they're doing it for economics of being able to sell their products here.

Tax breaks and shipping costs.

They're not doing it because they like to, they're doing it for economics of being able to sell their products here.

I'm not aware of any bikes that are actually built in the usa. honda was building the goldwing in ohio but went back to japan with it.

as far as I've always heard the bikes come almost complete and the dealer puts the rest of it together.

the vin sticker on mine even says "built in japan"

Edited by serpentracer

I'm not aware of any bikes that are actually built in the usa. honda was building the goldwing in ohio but went back to japan with it.

as far as I've always heard the bikes come almost complete and the dealer puts the rest of it together.

You're right, presently... but that's why they used to be here, tariffs/taxes aren't applicable if you assemble them here. I guess I hear the argument all the time from Toyota and Honda owners that their car was "built in the US" using US parts, which doesn't really tell the whole picture.

Yea, they're built in the US, with "US" suppliers -- basically all Japanese suppliers that put sister manufacturing plants near the Toyota "campus" because of how their supply chain is structured.

To argue manufacturing and part content origins really doesn't tell the entire story -- that's all my point was. It's economics and business structure that dictate where and how items are sourced, but you still have to follow where the profits/revenue go.

I haven't researched it, but I think you'll find that the difference is the type of workers employed by an American vs. Japanese company on US soil. American companies employ a lot more white collar US workers than their Japanese counterparts since most of the white collar work is done overseas. Japanese companies just need a few US white collars workers to supervise the blue collars to the overseas "marching orders".

Edited by JRMMiii

the vin sticker on mine even says "built in japan"

Yup, so sad it's gone. It would still be there if GoldWing sales hadn't dropped off.

The Kawasaki plant in Lincoln Nebraska is the only big one left that I know of.

And it stopped making motorcycles also.

It might move to Brazil, Kawasaki just built a new plant there.

Yamaha still has marine sports manufacturing in the USA.

I think there's still a Japanese suspension manufacturing somewhere in the USA, but that's to make parts for Harleys or whoever else wants to buy them.

edit: I just read that Victory is moving to Mexico for assembly in 2011. Everything except the engine.

Edited by ReconRat