Lettuce discuss the wheel gun as a CCW...

Pedro

So I am considering replacing my current CCW piece with a S&W 442, Ruger, or S&W Bodyguard 38. Why don't more people carry revolvers as a CCW? I want something smaller than my current sub-compact Springfield. The only drawback I can see at the moment is less capacity and maybe the smaller sights. Anything else?

More difficult to carry extra speedloaders than magazines. Less capacity in a wheel gun. Seem to be more bulky. Easier to add a light or laser to a semi auto.

Only pro to a wheel gun would probably a misfire would be quicker to correct and no chance of a round not feeding.

I won't carry a revolver.

i prefer my revolver.

easy to conceal

easy to shoot

357 mag is a hellva round to carry

and if i need more then 5 shots to deter or defend myself, so be it.

FBI stats indicate the average is 3 shots in a gunfight

i prefer my revolver.

easy to conceal

easy to shoot

357 mag is a hellva round to carry

and if i need more then 5 shots to deter or defend myself, so be it.

FBI stats indicate the average is 3 shots in a gunfight

:plus1:

I cant say enough good things about my S&W 638 airweight. Its is light, shoots great, fits comfortably in my pocket all day, is unnoticeable and draws easily and shoots .38 Special +P. BOOM!

I have been carrying it every day for about 2 years and dont see me ever wanting another carry gun.

:plus1:

I cant say enough good things about my S&W 638 airweight. Its is light, shoots great, fits comfortably in my pocket all day, is unnoticeable and draws easily and shoots .38 Special +P. BOOM!

I have been carrying it every day for about 2 years and dont see me ever wanting another carry gun.

I've known a few people who made the switch from semi-auto to revolvers and haven't looked back.

LOL. He's brought up some relevant points that I expected. Good info in this thread.

Psh, that chevy guy talks out of his ass. :D

But like Jags said, carry what you are comfortable with. Just like bikes, everyone has there preference. Although you can't usually take a concealed carry test drive so that makes it difficult. Like Max Power says, he loves his. I have never carried one concealed so obviously I am going to be biased. I only speak from my usage of them while at the range and such. Of course, I also love my M&P too much that I really can't see liking anything else, especially a revolver, as a daily carry.

Regardless of what you carry, and you said you already have your CHL, my opinion is a both a revolver and semi auto are better to carry than nothing at all. If the only gun I has was a revolver, I'd carry it in a heartbeat. To each there own. Good luck on whatever route you decide on.

More difficult to carry extra speedloaders than magazines. Less capacity in a wheel gun. Seem to be more bulky. Easier to add a light or laser to a semi auto.

Only pro to a wheel gun would probably a misfire would be quicker to correct and no chance of a round not feeding.

I won't carry a revolver.

Do people really carry around speed loaders casually? I don't carry at all but I can't imagine the world of hell I would have to be in to need more than 5 or 6 shots.

Do people really carry around speed loaders casually? I don't carry at all but I can't imagine the world of hell I would have to be in to need more than 5 or 6 shots.

I don't know anybody personally but have heard of it. My M&P is 8+1 and I usually don't carry spare mags but if I am going into town or something, I'll just grab one or two more mags. It's too easy to throw them in my pocket or holster.

If I need more than 25 rounds I am in the wrong part of town. I figure if I have one magazine and am involved with two bad guys and miss, lets say 3 times. People miss in gun fights all the time. That give's me 3 rounds per bad guy. 3 bad guys gives me 2 per, assuming I only miss 3 times. I just would rather have better odd when it comes to my life and that of my family. just my thoughts.

i had bought the wife a pt111 sub compact 9mm for our anniversary and she decided to exchange it for my 38spl Ultralight... :(

she said it was lighter and easier for her to carry then the pt111.

so i may need to sell my pt111 if i want a new revolver.

Ive checked out a couple members wheel guns.

Streamlined, lightweight and reliable. I see why someone would switch. Even compacts are lead bricks compared to a Smith Airweight.

It wasn't long ago I was carrying a G17 (17+1). Might as well have been a Desert Eagle.

Ive checked out a couple members wheel guns.

Streamlined, lightweight and reliable. I see why someone would switch. Even compacts are lead bricks compared to a Smith Airweight.

It wasn't long ago I was carrying a G17 (17+1). Might as well have been a Desert Eagle.

LMAO. Yeah, I remember you saying that before. Compared to a buddys 38 my subcompact 40 feels like a desert eagle too.

I can conceal my S&W 642 in an iwb with shorts and a T-shirt, no problem. It's light, accurate, and feels great in the hand. My De Santis Tuck This holster puts the cylinder below the belt so you barely feel it. I like it ahhlot.