Anyone had luck getting a title from a bill of sale

STABOR1122

Not sure where the best place to put this is so I will try here. I recently traded my RMX250 for a couple of Yamaha Blasters. One is in good shape and has a clean and clear title. The other one needed some engine work and did not have a title. The previous owner had a notarized bill of sale to him from the last owner and another handwritten although notarized bill of sale from another former owner (from KY) that he gave to me in the transaction. I also have a bill of sale to me. I am hoping to get this quad titled as well so that when I rebuild it I will be able to get a plate for state trails. Has anyone else been able to do this and if so how? Thanks for any help you can give, Shane.

Go to the local courthouse, and have them look up the VIN to see if there is any liens against it. If it is clear, check and see what they require to get a title. I know some people that have gotten them here with just bill of sales once they come up clean. Some places might require that different things be done.

Usually here, as long as it comes back with no liens, or stolen for that matter, if the bill of sale traces back to the original title owner, then they usually make a "replacement" title. If not, then contact the original owner, and have them get a "lost" title.

That's what I was afraid of. There have been at least 2 previous Ohio owners since 2005. I checked the vin through the OHIO BMV title search. It showed no records, so it has not been titled here yet. I also checked the vin through an insurance claim and stolen vehicle database that I found a link for on this forum. Again it came back clean. I wonder if it could be titled as self-assembled? I know that you can do this with street bikes here. Has anyone tried this? Thanks, Shane.

you are not allowed to sell a vehicle without a tittle is my understanding. my buddy owns a car lot and has a 1999 toyota camry rotting away because he can't get a tittle for it.

he's not even allowed to sell it at an auction.

a bill of sale is just a receipt that you bought it. mostly so you can get a 30 day tag before the tittle is put in your name.

How old are the Blasters? May not have ever had an off road title... It didn't use to be required and until recently, they never had one and you never got one when buying used.

You can simply go to the title dept and request an off road title. Show the bill of sale and provide the VIN and you should be good.

I also am not sure that it is required for a permit for public trails... I think just a VIN# is needed...

Unfortunately the one that does not have a title is a 1999, which is the year they started issuing titles for off-road bikes and atvs. I also found that as of 2004 it is actually not legal to sell one without a title regardless of the year. If it was not originally issued with one or it comes in from out of state it has toi have one made before it can be transferred. Since I know that there has been at least two Ohio owner since then and it has not been registered it seems that I have 2 options. I can go back to each of the previous owners and find the first one to bring it into the state and convince them to apply for a title and pay tax on it (FAT CHANCE) and each person since then would have to do the same. Or, I can provide a bill of sale for the engine and frame and reciepts or documentation for all my major parts and take it to the State Patrol Inspection Post and as long as everything is clean, I can apply for a self assembled title. As big a pain in th A** as this sounds like I think it may be the only option at this point.

Kinda like this? .... The "Title Dance"

http://www.bestrex.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2863035

"Self Assembled" title with 66111 miles. This vehicle was a criminal forfiture in a Cleveland suburb, and the court submitted a "junk affidavit" to the Ohio BMV , which rendered the title "inactive". The only way to re title this vehicle in Ohio was to apply for a "self assembled" title. This required that 2 major body parts be replaced. We bought new front & rear bumper covers from Ganley Subaru and had them painted and installed. We still have the original undamaged covers. The vehicle has a spotless CarFax history with no paintwork except on the new front & rear covers. Runs, drives & functions perfect-

Or, I can provide a bill of sale for the engine and frame and reciepts or documentation for all my major parts and take it to the State Patrol Inspection Post and as long as everything is clean, I can apply for a self assembled title. As big a pain in th A** as this sounds like I think it may be the only option at this point.

I've done this for a salvage title truck and Tbutera did it for his bike. Its actually very easy. Costs you $50.

"The Title Dance" is a great way to put it.I am glad to see that there are some who have done this successfully. I am amazed that the state makes it so difficult to title the vehicle. I can understand that what they are really trying to do is collect the taxes that were not previously paid, but I am trying to do this the right way and I am willing to pay the appropriate taxes now just to get it squared away. I am not sure how they figure taxes on a self-assembled vehicle, but it seems to me that they will be losing money by forcing me to do it this way.

• 2 months later...

So I'm in the same situation with my track bike. I bought it without a title, but I like the bike so much that I'd like to ride it on the street as well sometimes. Is it worth going through the whole hassle of chasing down the last title holder or should I simply buy a frame that has a title and transfer everything over?

you are not allowed to sell a vehicle without a tittle is my understanding. my buddy owns a car lot and has a 1999 toyota camry rotting away because he can't get a tittle for it.

he's not even allowed to sell it at an auction.

a bill of sale is just a receipt that you bought it. mostly so you can get a 30 day tag before the tittle is put in your name.

couldnt he just sell it as "parts" ?