how many glen beck supporters is too many?

magley64

What is being missed is that you said that he very plainly has stated that he hates the victims of 9/11 which was proven to be completely untrue yet you skim over it like you did not just tell a lie in order to slander him. Isn't that part of what you don't like about him he lies to slander people?

It wasn't proven completely untrue. It's what he said.

Now, he apparently limits this to 9/11 families who speak on TV, but he doesn't like that they complain. He hates them, because they complain.

As far as the Katrina victims go I am glad you think rioting and looting is better than waiting for the money that was being handed to them. Aparrently a meal for your kid is more important than your kids safety. Not to mention your kid is more important than any other victim so you better riot and do everything you can to get the money immrdiately even though you will get it no matter what, safety is way over rated anyways. Good call! :rolleyes:

We aren't talking about looters and rioters.

We're talking about refugees in the Astrodome. Many of these people (taxpayers, by the way, who paid for the aid that they were supposed to get) lost their homes because of inefficient and ineffective federal action (and inaction).

Hell yeah, my kid is more important than any other victim, to me, and I'm quite certain that other parents will tell you the same.

Glenn Beck probably hates me, too. Because I love my kid more than other people.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not following you there, sportsfan... all I did was post the first few things when I googled "Glenn Beck hates 9/11 victims"

That's all I did, what am I misrepresenting? For the THIRD time, I read the transcript, in context, and posted my thoughts -- or my questions, rather. "I'm just asking the questions"

Alright cowboy, you posted a quote with emphasizes added in such a manner as to skew the read and interpretation. While you didn't add the emphasis yourself, you didn't correct it either.

Which is worse: the man who commits a crime, or the man who allows the crime to continue?

Instead of letting Glenn Beck hang himself with his own words, you allowed a misrepresentation to continue in order to support your argument. And now you play innocent and dumb.

Of course, I can play with emphasizes as well:

I'm not following you there, sportsfan... all I did was post the first few things when I googled "Glenn Beck hates 9/11 victims"

That's all I did, what am I misrepresenting? For the THIRD time, I read the transcript, in context, and posted my thoughts -- or my questions, rather. "I'm just asking the questions"

Now you can't be mad at that one, if someone makes sure to read the full quote the added emphasis shouldn't convey any message at all.

We're talking about refugees in the Astrodome. Many of these people (taxpayers, by the way, who paid for the aid that they were supposed to get) lost their homes because of inefficient and ineffective federal action (and inaction).

Erroneous! It falls to state and local municipalities to have plans in place first, federal aid is last to step in. They had weeks to implement anything, and chose not too. I believe it was the City of New Orleans plan to move everyone into the Astrodome, instead of onto the school buses before the were lost to rising waters. Having used it before during two other hurricanes, and yet they didn't even have enough provisions stockpiled. Hardly the federal governments fault when the officials responsible for planning dropped the ball to begin with.

And lastly, the president of the Union sending federal troops into a southern state without being asked? For all of us north of the Mason-Dixon line that war ended in 1865, it's still a bit of a sore spot further south.

Edited by dorifto240

Erroneous! It falls to state and local municipalities to have plans in place first, federal aid is last to step in. They had weeks to implement anything, and chose not too. I believe it was the City of New Orleans plan to move everyone into the Astrodome, instead of onto the school buses before the were lost to rising waters. Having used it before during two other hurricanes, and yet they didn't even have enough provisions stockpiled. Hardly the federal governments fault when the officials responsible for planning dropped the ball to begin with.

And lastly, the president of the Union sending federal troops into a southern state without being asked? For all of us north of the Mason-Dixon line that war ended in 1865, it's still a bit of a sore spot further south.

What you say is true, and means absolutely dick to people who lost their homes.

The Federal government didn't include the southern parishes of Louisiana in it's state of emergency declaration. FEMA claimed that the governor did not include those parishes in her aid request - a claim that proved to be false when the governor publicly released copies of the aid request.

As far as the buses go, they could get on the buses - and go where? Surrounding areas were already refusing refugees, and the Astrodome fit far more people than the buses could have evacuated (despite what Sean Hannity will repeat over and over).

All this doesn't matter.

None of this is the fault of the people who were out of home, food and water. But those are the people that Glenn Beck hates, because they wouldn't stand in a nice quite orderly line.

Alright cowboy, you posted a quote with emphasizes added in such a manner as to skew the read and interpretation. While you didn't add the emphasis yourself, you didn't correct it either.

And I thought liberals were the ones that wanted a nanny state... you want me to wipe your ass too while I'm holding your hand and walking you through this? God forbid you actually had to read it like I did. :cry:

Jeez, I posted a link and quoted it... I'm not going to go back through and reformatting something because people are too lazy to read anything but the highlights. The transcript is there. It's not like I omitted any information so things are taken out of context. ZOMFG!! It's bold. If you don't like what's bolded, YOU need to take it upon yourself to read the entire thing in context. Not me.

4th time: I didn't take anything out of context, just posted the first 2 links I came across because it was requested. I did my 2 second Google Search and you're calling me out because I'm too lazy to package it up in a pretty pink bow for you? I'll call you out for being too lazy to read.

Which is worse: the man who commits a crime, or the man who allows the crime to continue?

Instead of letting Glenn Beck hang himself with his own words, you allowed a misrepresentation to continue in order to support your argument. And now you play innocent and dumb.

5th time - what did I misrepresent? I didn't REPRESENT anything in the first place. I did a Google Search and posted links. I can't help it if you're too intellectually lazy to read them. :dunno:

does being at the 'rally' automatically make you a supporter?

these crowd estimates are silly. The fact is, a considerable number of people showed up to listen, at least half of them clapped, and I'm sure a lot left disappointed by the (lack of) message.

Just because 100,000 people were or weren't there doesn't mean that they're all supporters. I wouldn't have minded going to hear what Beck had to say ...but I was at BeaveRun instead.

Edited by redkow97

It wasn't proven completely untrue. It's what he said.

Now, he apparently limits this to 9/11 families who speak on TV, but he doesn't like that they complain. He hates them, because they complain.

He never said anything about the victims of 9/11 he said he hates the families that went to the media and complained about what they did or did not get. 2 completely different things. There is a huge difference between hating a VICTIM and hating their FAMILY. You told a flat out lie in order to make him look bad. Keep trying to back pedal though it makes your argument so much more valid.

Hell yeah, my kid is more important than any other victim, to me, and I'm quite certain that other parents will tell you the same.

Glenn Beck probably hates me, too. Because I love my kid more than other people.

If people are doing whatever they can to get to those cards then that is a riot. Even if you do not call it a riot it is still a large group of people all wanting the same thing and willing to do just about anything to get it. These people knew they were going to get that money no matter what but they still felt the need to put themselves and everyone else in danger because they felt they were more important than anyone else. Yet you still defend their actions like there was nothing wrong with what they did. They made a bad situation worse by being stupid.

I did a Google Search and posted links. I can't help it if you're too intellectually lazy to read them. :dunno:

So you don't vette your sources? Interesting. I'd call the supporting evidence for your argument, and your argument into question.

Why don't you go hurr durr and fear monger somewhere else

So you don't vette your sources? Interesting. I'd call the supporting evidence for your argument, and your argument into question.

Why don't you go hurr durr and fear monger somewhere else

You really can't let it go? You really wanna nitpick this? I'm game.

Oh wise Glenn-Beckian, what "vetting" of sources is required when it's a TRANSCRIPT!? What does vetting sources have ANYTHING to do with it... it's ALL THE SAME, Are you still butthurt about the bolded text?? :rolleyes: I can't help you there -- cry to someone else who'll cater to your whims. I'm not your mommy, or your teacher, or your butler (and I'm not lending out mine to you). Quit being lazy.

Furthermore, you'll still have to point out where I made an argument. Find it, go ahead. I won't hold my breath while you look.

Edited by JRMMiii

You really can't let it go? You really wanna nitpick this? I'm game.

Oh wise Glenn-Beckian, what "vetting" of sources is required when it's a TRANSCRIPT!? What does vetting sources have ANYTHING to do with it... it's ALL THE SAME, Are you still butthurt about the bolded text?? :rolleyes: I can't help you there -- cry to someone else who'll cater do your whims. I'm not your mommy, or your teacher, or your butler (and I'm not lending out mine to you). Quit being lazy.

Furthermore, you'll still have to point out where I made an argument. Find it, go ahead. I won't hold my breath while you look.

Had it merely been a transcript it would have been presented without any emphasis added.

Presenting a transcript with emphasis added by a third party to highlight your opinion is presenting an argument. It's the same thing as chiming into a discussion with a quote. You've now presented information and are now a part of the discussion.

However to break it down for you. Here's the play by play.

Glenn Beck doesn't really make arguments. His rants are generally emotion, hyperbole and fear mongering. It's hard to prove someone wrong when they don't necessary present an argument. Which is why Glenn Beck "asks questions."

Unless he's talking about the victims of 9/11. He's pretty happy to say, quite plainly, that he hates them.

CG said this, at which point you responded with quotes from the website mediamatters.org. You've provided the supporting document for the original statement. Meaning you've made an argument in support of the statement that Glenn Beck hates victims of 9/11.

Yet when someone reads the full citation, it's clear that he doesn't hate 9/11 or Katrina victims. Just a select few who tried to milk the system. Instead of really letting Glenn Beck hang himself with his own words (which wouldn't actually happen in this case) you choose a few poorly modified quotes from a website that attempted to portray Glenn Beck as a nut job. Instead of really going for an original, un-modified transcript that would have allowed everyone to make their own mind up on Beck. :nono:

No need to get "butt hurt," about it. (Was that the phrase you used with your stunningly intelligent LOLcatz argument? I can't quite remember as it was amongst all your nit picking).

Had it merely been a transcript it would have been presented without any emphasis added.

Presenting a transcript with emphasis added by a third party to highlight your opinion is presenting an argument. It's the same thing as chiming into a discussion with a quote. You've now presented information and are now a part of the discussion.

No, you must be dense.

What have I been saying EVERY post... it was quoted directly as I took it from the links I took it from. Matt (Vulcan) asked to see where he said it, and I found where he said it. I didn't claim what context he said it in, nor did I make any other arguments.

The emphasis was just a side effect, it wasn't MY opinion, all it did was highlight where he said it. If I really wanted to make a dishonest argument, I would've JUST copied the bold parts. All I did was merely show that he DID say it (since Matt asked for see it), and included the context which Matt identified may show a little bit more background. I made no other arguments pertaining to that quote in particular, you need to take your tinfoil hat off.

However to break it down for you. Here's the play by play.

Yea, Matt asked to see it, I quoted it in full context, and you get all up in my sh*t because I didn't take the time to 'de-bold' it. That's the play by play that's where we are now.

I provided supporting documentation that he very well did say it. That's it. Nothing more, other than including it in the context from whence he said it. Like I said, I didn't do anything dishonest or misleading -- I included everything. It's YOUR fault if all you did was read the bold parts (which I don't claim responsibility for - though it does help as a reading guide to narrow does the exact phrase we were discussing). It's still a TRANSCRIPT no matter how you bold, italicize or underline it.

You've provided the supporting document for the original statement. Meaning you've made an argument in support of the statement that Glenn Beck hates victims of 9/11.

No, I provided supporting documentation that says he did in fact say that, regardless of context. But, I included the context so people got the full story. Unlike typical Fox News clips.

Yet when someone reads the full citation, it's clear that he doesn't hate 9/11 or Katrina victims. Just a select few who tried to milk the system.

Now here's something I can nitpick. You say "It's clear he doesn't hate the victims, just a select few" -- that's counter intuitive. So, obviously he does hate SOME members of the group. If we paint him with the same broad brush he wants to paint people with, one could say Glenn Beck hates <insert group of people he only hates a few of>.

Instead of really letting Glenn Beck hang himself with his own words (which wouldn't actually happen in this case) you choose a few poorly modified quotes from a website that attempted to portray Glenn Beck as a nut job. Instead of really going for an original, un-modified transcript that would have allowed everyone to make their own mind up on Beck. :nono:

For the umpteenth time, if I really wanted to make a dishonest argument I wouldn't have included the entire transcript. I included it in the entirety because I didn't want to take 3 extra minutes to reformat it just so it please you "handsome Matt". Get over it. :rolleyes:

I apologize if all you see if hurr durr and LOLCatz through all this. It must be a bleak world you live in without intellect and humor allowed to enter it.

Edited by JRMMiii

You guys are funny. Firstly, of course there will be more than 1 supporter for Glenn Beck. He is one of the main hosts for a channel that has a large target audience. It would be more surprising if he provided opinions that were contrary to the audience's beliefs. What do they say about politics and religion? There's a reason for that because those are the two areas where logic fails and the debates become personal attacks.

Seriously, I see these liberal vs conservative fights as civilized as African Civil Wars with millions dead and no real solution reached. It's who can yell the loudest (kill more) rather than whose ideology is more sound. So, JRMMii chill out and step back, because this argument had been declared a draw with the first post.

In my opinion, both sides have lost and now this has become a personal grudge by both sides. You can't win when your opponent is arguing with his heart and not his head.

Whew, I actually had a rant to go along with this, but followed Lincoln's advice.

He never said anything about the victims of 9/11 he said he hates the families that went to the media and complained about what they did or did not get. 2 completely different things. There is a huge difference between hating a VICTIM and hating their FAMILY. You told a flat out lie in order to make him look bad. Keep trying to back pedal though it makes your argument so much more valid.[/quote/

No one said anything about hating victims. He got on TV and said that he hates some of the 9/11 families, and that they are whiners. This is not a lie, this is what he did. He called them complainers, at the same time saying how he hated the starving, thirsty, homeless victims of Katrina because they didn't stand in an orderly line, 25,000 people long.

If people are doing whatever they can to get to those cards then that is a riot. Even if you do not call it a riot it is still a large group of people all wanting the same thing and willing to do just about anything to get it. These people knew they were going to get that money no matter what but they still felt the need to put themselves and everyone else in danger because they felt they were more important than anyone else. Yet you still defend their actions like there was nothing wrong with what they did. They made a bad situation worse by being stupid.

They weren't rioting in the Astrodome. They just weren't standing in line. No one was killed, no one was trampled to death - they were just hungry and wanted to provide for their family.

Fucking right I'm going to defend their actions, like I said, if my kid is hungry and thirsty and has been a week without a meal, I'm not waiting at the end of a 25,000 person line, either.

no one said anything about hating victims.

are you fucking kidding me?

unless he's talking about the victims of 9/11. He's pretty happy to say, quite plainly, that he hates them.

need i say more? Stop back peddling and own up to it you jackass you lied plain and simple, it's not that fucking hard to see it plain as day!

are you fucking kidding me? need i say more? Stop back peddling and own up to it you jackass you lied plain and simple, it's not that fucking hard to see it plain as day!

define victim....

are the families of those who died NOT victims of the tragedy?

:nono:

are you fucking kidding me?

need i say more? Stop back peddling and own up to it you jackass you lied plain and simple, it's not that fucking hard to see it plain as day!

I should have said "families of victims" (though, you'd have a hard time convincing me that those who lost family on 9/11 weren't victims).

Given the context of this discussion, this should have been not just apparent, but blatantly obvious.

Does the name calling make you feel better? Therapeutic, maybe? If that's the case, I invite you to call me "jackass" and "liar" when you may find yourself in times of stress. We all know that hysterical ranting and childish name calling can serve to soothe stress and day to day pressures. Cheers!

Does the name calling make you feel better? Therapeutic, maybe? If that's the case, I invite you to call me "jackass" and "liar" when you may find yourself in times of stress. We all know that hysterical ranting and childish name calling can serve to soothe stress and day to day pressures. Cheers!

that made me lol.

also, you're left with an interesting outcome for your argument. you say you would fight tooth and nail (my words) to get a debit card to feed your kid, yes? you also make mention of the fact that the buses dont have anywhere to take the displaced, yes? so, that begs the question, where are you going to spend the money for which you just fought? if you are all in the same boat, for what first right are you fighting?