how many glen beck supporters is too many?

magley64

so arial photos are showing a total of < 100,000

glen beck claimed a total of > 500,000

us. rep Michelle Bachmann is touting a total of > 1,000,000

am I the only one who thinks 1 is too many? :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100830/cm_yblog_upshot/glenn-beck-rally-sparks-debate-over-crowd-size

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pretty much sums up the difference between a real leader, and the type that are attempting to lead today. No substance at all.

Except in Beck's defense (that hurt just typing it) he's straight up said his company is an entertainment company.

"With a deadpan, Beck insists that he is not political: "I could give a flying crap about the political process." Making money, on the other hand, is to be taken very seriously, and controversy is its own coinage. "We're an entertainment company," Beck says" - Forbes (04/26)

It is good to know that at least the rights to gathering and freedom of speech are still respected. In that sense, there's never too many Glenn Beck supporters, or any supporters of a group someone disagrees with.

Fun game: Prove Glenn Beck wrong on the basis of his arguments, as opposed to writing him off as a "right wing nut job."

It is good to know that at least the rights to gathering and freedom of speech are still respected. In that sense, there's never too many Glenn Beck supporters, or any supporters of a group someone disagrees with.

Fun game: Prove Glenn Beck wrong on the basis of his arguments, as opposed to writing him off as a "right wing nut job."

how about you watch his show one day, and watch him contradict himself?

Glenn Beck doesn't really make arguments. His rants are generally emotion, hyperbole and fear mongering. It's hard to prove someone wrong when they don't necessary present an argument. Which is why Glenn Beck "asks questions."

Unless he's talking about the victims of 9/11. He's pretty happy to say, quite plainly, that he hates them.

Glenn Beck doesn't really make arguments. His rants are generally emotion, hyperbole and fear mongering. It's hard to prove someone wrong when they don't necessary present an argument. Which is why Glenn Beck "asks questions."

Unless he's talking about the victims of 9/11. He's pretty happy to say, quite plainly, that he hates them.

I would love for you to show me that transcript or clip or audio.

I would love for you to show me that transcript or clip or audio.

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200509090003

Nationally syndicated Clear Channel radio host Glenn Beck referred to survivors of Hurricane Katrina who remained in New Orleans as "scumbags." Also, after acknowledging that nobody "in their right mind is going to say this out loud," Beck attacked victims of the disaster in general and the families of victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, saying: "I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9-11 victims."

From the September 9 broadcast of The Glenn Beck Program:

BECK: Let me be real honest with you. I don't think anybody on talk radio --
I don't think anybody in their right mind is going to say this out loud
-- but I wonder if I'm the only one that feels this way. Yesterday, when I saw the ATM cards being handed out, the $2,000 ATM cards, and they were being handed out at the Astrodome. And they actually had to close the Astrodome and seal it off for a while because there was a near-riot trying to get to these ATM cards. My first thought was, it's not like they're going to run out of the $2,000 ATM cards. You can wait! You know, stand in line. Maybe it's because I'm the kind of guy, when I go to a buffet, I either have to be first in line, or I'm the very last. Because I know there's going to be extra food, and I just won't stand in the line. I'll wait until all the suckers go get their food, and then I'll go get mine. Or if I'm really hungry, I hate to admit this -- and really, I don't even have to be really hungry. If I'm really being a pig, I will kind of, like, hang out around the buffet table before the line is -- you know, chat with people right around the table: "Oh, they just opened the line! Let's go!" And then you're first in line.

When you are rioting for these tickets, or these ATM cards, the second thing that came to mind was -- and this is horrible to say, and I wonder if I'm alone in this --
you know it took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families? Took me about a year.
And I had such compassion for them, and I really wanted to help them, and I was behind, you know, "Let's give them money, let's get this started." All of this stuff. And I really didn't -- of the 3,000 victims' families, I don't hate all of them. Probably about 10 of them. And when I see a 9-11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, "Oh shut up!" I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining. And we did our best for them. And, again, it's only about 10.

But the second thought I had when I saw these people and they had to shut down the Astrodome and lock it down, I thought: I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9-11 victims.
These guys -- you know it's really sad. We're not hearing anything about Mississippi. We're not hearing anything about Alabama. We're hearing about the victims in New Orleans. This is a 90,000-square-mile disaster site, New Orleans is 181 square miles. A hundred and -- 0.2 percent of the disaster area is New Orleans!
And that's all we're hearing about, are the people in New Orleans. Those are the only ones we're seeing on television are the scumbags
-- and again, it's not all the people in New Orleans. Most of the people in New Orleans got out!
It's just a small percentage of those who were left in New Orleans, or who decided to stay in New Orleans, and they're getting all the attention.
It's exactly like the 9-11 victims' families. There's about 10 of them that are spoiling it for everybody.

Also

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201008160004

you know it took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families? Took me about a year. And I had such compassion for them, and I really wanted to help them, and I was behind, you know, "Let's give them money, let's get this started." All of this stuff. And I really didn't -- of the 3,000 victims' families, I don't hate all of them. Probably about 10 of them. And when I see a 9-11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, "Oh shut up!" I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining. And we did our best for them. And, again, it's only about 10.

Yea he almost said he hates the victims of 9/11. Nice try, how about instead of the selective hearing bullshit you speak in fact and not do exactly what you accuse Glenn Beck of doing.

Yea he almost said he hates the victims of 9/11. Nice try, how about instead of the selective hearing bullshit you speak in fact and not do exactly what you accuse Glenn Beck of doing.

he doesn't sound as eeeevil that way, thus the incorrect attribute.

Stupid Constitution/Bill of Rights. Freedom of speech? Not if I don't agree with you.

Next thing you know, they'll want to let teh womenz vote.

:stirpot:

:popcorn:

I just provided you the quotes you asked for, that's all I did. I didn't take anything out of context.

But, it's interesting that Beck structures his argument on labeling a group of people first (victims families of 9/11), but backtracks at the end to "only 10", so he doesn't look like as huge of a douchebag -- like it's OK.

You either hate the victims or you don't... if you're gonna say it, own it. If he hates them, fine... say it, give your reasons why, and move on with your opinions. If it's only 10, he should be able to cite examples of those 10... or is it only 10 because those are the only ones he's seen in the media? Would it be 15 if they interviewed 5 more families? Not everyone gets media exposure, so maybe he only hates the ones that are in the media? All that is unclear.

What is clear... is Glenn Beck is a tool.

He (Beck), when he first came to prominence after 9/11/2001, was a decent enough personality; had (usually) well-reasoned, interesting things to say. I agreed and disagreed about evenly with his points.

It seems as though in the past year or two (maybe 3 or 4, idk, I'm old and forgetful) that he's become a bit 'off', for lack of a better term. Seems to me as though he sees a conspiracy in everything, and will flip-flop his position/opinion.

I used to listen an average of an hour/day; these days it's about 10 minutes before I lose interest/get irked at the drama he's spouting.