Beaver Run - 8/28 - $150

APCh8r

Didn't get as far as I wanted tonight due to having to work out at Legacy Village today. And man was there some poon out there!

Anyway, I got the filler and filter wired. Might try to drill and wire the drain plug tomorrow after attempting to flush and fill the coolant.

Which leads me to my reason for posting this evening. Who's got some good tips for doing the coolant flush and fill on GSXRs!?!?

Get water wetter to fill it with and get about 2-3 gallons of distilled water to flush the system. Drain all the original antifreeze, run some of the distilled water through and try and get the excess out. Replace drain bolt, fill with distilled water, replace radiator cap, run the bike till the fan kicks at least once or twice, let bike cool, remove drain bolt and drain.

Repeat this process until you are no longer getting green coolant draining out. Once this is done then you can use the water wetter/water mixture. Make sure to bleed/blip the air out of the system when you are putting this in. I do this by installing it and keeping the radiator cap off, start the bike and as the bike is warming up toward about 150 degrees you can blip the throttle and also squeeze on the radiator hose to try and get the air out of the system. I replace the radiator cap around 150 before it gets too hot to handle.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be using Engine Ice instead of water wetter due to it's better low temp properties.

First, there's no drain bolt on the bike so based on the way the coolant is circulating I think I can just remove the hose going from the t-stat to the radiator and let it pump out all the coolant it can. The thing is I don't know if I should do this after the bike is up to 180 degrees as then I'm sure the t-stat is open and it will flow out as much as possible. Here's a diagram of the cooling circuit.

CoolingCicuit.jpg

Then there's the reservoir to deal with.

I cant belive this tread about a trackday has eleven pages.

Do not run your bike to get the coolant out. You should drain the coolant while the bike is cold. There is a bolt some where there are usually hard to find on the cooling system. If not remove one of the hoses and drain it out of there. This method may take a couple drain and fills with clean water cycling the between steps to get the system as clean as possible.

fasttrax doesn't allow anything other than water wetter and water. You can tell them whatever, but thought you should know

I'm betting if it doesn't look green, they won't think twice about it. Besides both WaterWetter and Engine Ice are still glycol based but I get antifreeze protection from Ice and it's biodegradable so any clean up shouldn't be a problem.

I cant belive this tread about a trackday has eleven pages.

Do not run your bike to get the coolant out. You should drain the coolant while the bike is cold. There is a bolt some where there are usually hard to find on the cooling system. If not remove one of the hoses and drain it out of there. This method may take a couple drain and fills with clean water cycling the between steps to get the system as clean as possible.

There is no bolt, found section in manual for flushing the system. They say to remove the hose going to the pump, drain, reattach, fill with water, run, cool, drain, repeat. Looks like a couple hours of work at the least so I'll have to run to the store to get a several gallons of distilled water.

I'm betting if it doesn't look green, they won't think twice about it. Besides both WaterWetter and Engine Ice are still glycol based but I get antifreeze protection from Ice and it's biodegradable so any clean up shouldn't be a problem.

personally, as long as you're not running something that's gonna muck up the track, i don't really care. dunno if fasttrax will feel the same way if they see you have anything other than pink/red stuff in your coolant expansion tank is all i'm saying.

it'll prolly be fine. i've seen many tech requirements slip through the cracks at all track days, so it probably will go unnoticed. They do ask you though, so don't be all nervous lol

Don't think it's a problem, if I remember correctly some track day orgs have put it on they're 'okay' list.

Actually, this is straight from STT's site for bike prep:

6) Advanced and Intermediate group riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. Automotive ethyl glycol based coolants are not allowed.

I'm not going to say anything other than, "Yes, it's been changed." :D

Worse comes to worse, I poor it out and fill it with water.

what temp does everyone's bike operate at while on track anyway?

I'm running almost straight distilled water. Ran out of Water Wetter.

on track, I seem to remember the bike running between 209 and 220. Never seen it get any higher than that.

internet says I shouldn't worry until the bike hit's 230, turn it off at 240, and cause damage at 255.

if you're routinely hitting 230 (fan's supposed to come on at 220), there's likely a thermostat issue.

that's for '03-'06 600RR's.

I've heard RC51 owners report 240 degrees ON TRACK AT PACE. that's nuts to me, I only recently noticed that my bike was over 200 at pace.

There is no bolt, found section in manual for flushing the system. They say to remove the hose going to the pump, drain, reattach, fill with water, run, cool, drain, repeat. Looks like a couple hours of work at the least so I'll have to run to the store to get a several gallons of distilled water.

Don't know what year gsxr you have but that is the way to do it on my 07. Pull the hose leading to the water pump and let it drain. On the water pump there is a bleeder bolt, its just a bolt on the outward face that you can crack open until fluid starts coming out and then re-tighten. A good trick to get all the air out without having to run it over and over again is to fill the radiator and then slowly lean the bike way over to one side and then way over to the other. BE CAREFUL not to drop the bike, it can be done alone, I sit on the bike and lean it that way. The fluid level will go down, fill it up repeat the side to side, refill over and over until the fluid level doesn't drop. This cuts alot of time out of the process. If you have air in the system, your bike will run hot.

Don't know if this makes sense or not, but I'll be there tonight if you need any help. Red/White gsxr #85.

I got it changed over. Book says 2.4 to refill the system but I used only about 2 since I'm sure there was still some distilled water in there that didn't come out after flushing it twice.

I filled it up, started it to get it up to temp, shut it off and let it cool. Filled some more, then leaned it over several times to each side filling as needed. I then started it up and let it run until the fan came on twice and it cooled like it should...no funky spikes in temp or anything. Just need to check it one last time before putting the panels back on, oh and try to drill the oil plug to wire it ON the bike.

No no silly boy...I stated earlier that I flushed it twice with water (i.e. empty coolant, fill with water, run, drain, fill, run, drain). And the thermo is almost the highest point on GSXRs (late models that is) as it's in the middle-top on the back side of the block.

Just finished up the bike. Got the oil plug wired but broke a bit in the process, but it's technically to the min. spec. Even did the rad. cap also.

Just getting my suit and the rest of my gear into the box, gotta get the trailer loaded and situated for my 5am departure. If I thought I could make it down this evening before the gates closed I'd try it.

kevin, you left your zip ties here.

Had a good day sat. It's nice to have lots of people around to pool resources.

Slapped some new rubbers on yesterday, thanks to everyone for helping a newb who never removed his own wheels before lol (pauly spoils me).

Dropped a few seconds, the new tires felt great during practice (dropped a whole second during practice cause there was no traffic). Now it's just time to hurry up and wait.