Locking bike?

Osiris-016

I pass a construction site on a regular basis. This guy rides a newer Triumph thats been chopped and dropped. It is a nice bike. Makes me wonder why it sits there late at night. Recently saw him park it. He has a logging style chain laying in the parking lot with a bunch of steel wheels that he locks his bike up too. Runs it through both front and rear. Guess he does worry about his bike.

As for the general security of a bike on the street: If someone wants it they WILL take your bike. All you can do is try to slow them down or deter the honest thief. I don't think anyone would want my 80 xs1100 ripped seat, rusted and pitted chrome and taped up horn and starter switches. That's my security, I ride cheap junk.

as others have said, you have the best security already. its a 250 lol.

just do what i do with my 500. park it next to a better bike. like an R1 or aprilia or something. then when the thief shows up he looks at my pos and the R1, and steals that instead lol.

If you want a good lock and chain look into the kryptonite locks and chains. Pretty expensive but worth it. Depending on if you own your property or not kryptonite has an "anchor" that you can secure to the ground.

Not all thieves know the difference between the ninja 250 and the zx14. It says "ninja" it must be fast. Don't believe me? Go check out the local bike nights. Bet you can find at least one person on a crappy sport bike but acts as if he has the best bike ever. Now I'm not trying to knock peoples bikes I'm just pointing out the not everyone knows bikes. Perfect example a few days ago I was walking past cycle search the other day. A group of people were looking at the bikes in the show room through the window. (They were closed). A lady in the group said there's a bike for you that green one. (Referring to the small ninja). The guy responded by saying i don't want that its a ninja. Those are way too fast for me.

Just because the bike isn't a bike that thieves commonly search for like gsxr 1k doesn't mean that someone won't steal it on impulse. A thief that sees an easy opportunity to get the bike most likely won't leave it to research market values for a stolen 250.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, guys.

I do realize that my bike is only a ninja 250, and that ninjas aren't as valuable as the other bikes mentioned.

Nobody really can tell if it's a 250 or a 500 because it just says Ninja on the bottom fairing and twin cam 8 valve on the side panels, but nowhere a 250R or anything of the sort. Hell, I even thought it was a 500 at first glance.

Anywho, I like my bike and it's a lot of fun, very quick and agile. Too bad we can't take advantage of its agility in Ohio because lane splitting is illegal.

I understand your feelings I am the same way, but that is why you have insurance. If it gets stolen or trashed then you have an excuse to upgrade and buy another bike you like. I started out on a 04 Ninja 250, they are fun little bikes.

This will make you feel better... I left my bike (kawi) outside sitting next to a 06(i think) RR and the RR was lifted and they left mine there.... They were there, with whatever ability to take the bike, and they still left it!

That said, I try to park my bikes in a place where it isn't visible from high traffic areas and somewhere that if theives had to carry it somewhere, it would be very difficult and noticeable.

I live in a (somewhat) bad area (whitehall). And I have an '06 Boulevard, and I don't worry too much. Worrying about it will not make anything better. You also have to take into account how much your bike weighs. Would it be practical for a few, or several guys to carry it away, without you knowing? Best thing to do is lock it up, as good as possible, and keep up on your insurance. Wheel locks are a great thing!!!

I understand your feelings I am the same way, but that is why you have insurance. If it gets stolen or trashed then you have an excuse to upgrade and buy another bike you like. I started out on a 04 Ninja 250, they are fun little bikes.

Wow, how old were you when you had that 250? Not trying to be funny, but saw your pic. Had to upgrade pretty quick like, huh?

Parking outside in daylight in a decent neighborhood its pretty unlikely the bike will disappear, especially a low value bike like a 20 year old 250cc.

However if you park under different conditions and theft is a serious concern then there are several security options.

A disc lock will immobilize the bike for someone looking for a joy ride or just trying to hot wire it. However it does little to stop someone that can pick up the bike and throw it in a van. For that the addition of a cable attached to a secure object helps a little. However most cables are pretty easy to cut.

A heavy security chain and lock like made by Kryptonite and Onguard attaching your bike to a secure object will discourage all but the most persistent thieves.

However they are expensive, heavy, bulky and you have to find something to attach to.

If you are parking in an area with a high theft rate on a regular basis. Buy the chain and lock and leave it where you park. For most other situations I would just use a disc lock or don't worry about it at all.

Craig

• 6 months later...
how many of you have locked your rear wheel and high sided?

If the front wheel remains pointed in the direction the bike is traveling, it will skid sideways and not high side. I have not high sided except maybe on a dirt bike. I have slid sideways many times. It's a quick way to change direction.

Ummm, why did you post this here? It will get lost in this thread.

4 or 5 guys could pick up my bike, yeah... But unless they find and disable the GPS bug before they get home then the police will be knocking on their door within minutes of me discovering that it is gone.

My android phone gives me a map and gps location of the bike in under two seconds. I also have weeks of history of the bike's movements - so if they strip it at their home/shop then discovering the bug won't stop the police from knocking on their door. The GPS and phonehome signals penetrate buildings too.

If we are outside a building and the building owner tells the cops; "The bike is not in here" then I can trigger the alarm and we can hear it. I just wish I could remotely disable the engine too, however I'm pretty sure any theft would involve the bike winding up in the back of a truck, not being ridden.

• 10 years later...