Need recommendation on good rear tire

CollectorDave

Hello all. New member to the board, long time rider. All my life have been relegated to buying cheap bikes, riding them till they dropped, and move on to next bike. Finally got to a place where I have a bike I want to keep, and have some means to do so. So, here-in lies the question about tires. I've never had to replace a tire on a bike. Now it's time. I've an older Sportster (everyone on the board now is the time to say "BOO") with a 130-90-16 on the rear.

Tires were installed by the dealer that hosed me on the bike, and of course I got crap wear outta them.

Looking for a recommendation on a good tire that offers good cornering and wet capabilities. That and if it could make me a sammich would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how they'd do on a sporty, but I run the Bridgestone Battlax BT45's, in that size on the Ninja 250. I'm not sure they'd be up to par with the weight though, since I'm guessing the sporty has a couple hundred pounds on the Ninja. I know there are quite a few tires available in that size.

Check out some of the motorcycle tire review websites, like this one:

Motorcycle Tire Reviews

Best guess for cruiser...

Pirelli MT66 - people like it

Avon Venom - people like it

Dunlop 402/404 - great grip/wet, poor wear

Metzler 880 - average grip/wet, average wear

and a touring tire that might work well

Bridgestone Spitfire S11 - people like it EDIT: THIS IS A BIAS PLY TIRE

DO NOT MIX BIAS PLY WITH RADIAL (FRONT/REAR)

Bridgestone S11 Spitfire Sport Touring Bias-Ply Rear Tires are a bias-ply general purpose replacement tire for large late model cruisers as well as older bikes from the 1970's and 1980's. The Spitfire S11 is for touring oriented riders who also enjoy a sporty ride. With its 4-ply casing, incorporating insert plies, and a refined belt technology it helps keep the tire round and cool even at top speeds. H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph. Available in Blackwall and Raised White Letter.
edit: add another website: http://www.tirestest.com/motorcycle_tires/index.html Edited by ReconRat

Just wanted to say thank you for all the recommendations on tires. You guys ROCK! Now armed with information AND a little cash I can get my scooter properly outfitted with nu shoooos. If there's any way I can repay your assistance, please feel free to holler my way.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the recommendations on tires. You guys ROCK! Now armed with information AND a little cash I can get my scooter properly outfitted with nu shoooos. If there's any way I can repay your assistance, please feel free to holler my way.

I'll send you my paypal info. Send $1000 and we'll call it even.

I'll send you my paypal info. Send $1000 and we'll call it even.

Oh I don't need Paypal, I can send you a nice crisp $1000 bill. That is as long as you don't mind or notice that it's got a picture of Daffy Duck on it. I'm sure someone will break it for ya!

WTF, a Harley rider with a sense of humor and a good attitude, maybe he will stick around for some fun.

The mods seem to think the long time members on here are mean to the Harley crowd so I should say "Fuck you loser" first to get that out of the way because I don't want to disappoint them.

I can't help you with any tire questions for that bike because I have zero experience with tires for that bike but I could lie to you if you would like, it could be like we have a relationship or something.

U.P.

And a hearty F.You to you too! Thanks for the welcome. And feel free to lie to me, hell everyone else likes to blow smoke up my ass and try to convince me it's cream cheese....LOL

Grew up riding Metrics (started on a yama-60), just wanted an American V-twin for so long that I had to get one, so 2 yrs ago picked up my Sporty as a "mechanic's special". However I will defer to all the sport bike riders as they are correct in my current top heavy beast corners like a frigging logging truck. Hell my old CB-350 cornered better if I recall, and it had hard case saddlebags!.

Again, thanks for the welcome, and thanks all for the tips. Enjoying my time on the site, and am looking forward to riding West in the near future and perhaps riding with some of y'all. Errr that is if the great Buckeye State allows riders from PA to infiltrate occasionally.

Welcome to the board.

Metzler 880's seem to be a common tire for cruisers and standards when you're looking for decent wear and performance for a good price. My more recent bikes have been sport and adventure tourers and sport bikes, so take ithis with a grain of salt. I really like the continentals I've been using on my V-strom.... not sure what their cruiser tires are like.

Congrats on getting the bike you want. Nothing like a Harley. I also have a couple CB350's lurking in my garage.