Mid-Ohio AMA Superbike 2010

Hailwood

This year marks the 10th year in a row that my Dad and I have been going to Mid-Ohio for the AMA races and it continues to be a great time.

The crowd was the smallest it's been in years, but the racing was some of the best, especially the Daytona Sportbike guys - that was a 4 way battle the entire race and came down to the very end.

We were fortunate enough to have some great weather, so I was able to stay out and shoot pretty much all day. The lighting was a bit on the harsh side, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here are some of the better shots:

Josh Hayes in Superbike practice:

938039083_mAZDx-XL.jpg

Tommy Hayden:

938040023_78GbC-XL.jpg

Larry Pegram coming out of Turn 1:

938045360_w4HEh-XL.jpg

Elbow dragging in T1:

938046769_d2kxc-XL.jpg

B-Boz in T1. He had a great day for someone who had just destroyed his left thumb:

938206798_5fqCS-XL.jpg

Josh Herrin coming into the Carousel in the DSB race:

938213082_T2B77-XL.jpg

These 4 guys battled it out the entire race with Eslick going off track trying to make a last lap pass:

938214581_tJzsU-XL.jpg

Bostrum pushing hard to try and catch Hayes in the Superbike Race:

938599240_ZCHBi-XL.jpg

Superbike race leaders coming out of T9:

938216383_q55YU-XL.jpg

There were also some really great battles further back in the field:

938217489_ddD9g-XL.jpg

Bostrum & Hayes in T10. Bostrum pushed really hard, but just couldn't quite catch Hayes:

938220525_VMcBD-XL.jpg

Josh Hayes celebrating a well-deserved victory:

938221401_BDGSY-XL.jpg

Harley XR1200 cup qualifying. I have to admit, these bikes were really cool to watch. The fastest guys were running within <15 seconds of the superbikes:

938222093_mKNMd-XL.jpg

These were all shot with a Canon 40D and 300mm F4 lens.

I took about 300 shots, most of which I still working on. You can check out the rest of them here at my site.

Edited by Hailwood

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Outstanding shots sir! Did you rent another "pimp" lens?

I probably should have just continued renting, but I found a fantastic deal on this lens a few months ago, so I wound up buying it.

Great looking shots near Honda bridge.Always great to spend time with the parents. I like your tradition.

Friday morning,after lunch break, there was a rider that went off track near Honda bridge, turn seven or eight. Not a crash, but a mechanical issue. It was a black bike, without any sponsers, and had a white background on his bike number on the tail. The corner workers did not call a crash truck for him. The rider was walking the bike along the tire barrier, opened the gate towards the infield and was still pushing the bike. So me and a guy in a golf cart start helping this rider push the bike up the dirt path in hopes of getting back to the pits. After like 30 feet, we decided to have golf cart guy drive the cart, I would "straight leg" push from the passenger seat......This worked out well. We got to the "paved" road at the top of the hill, near vendor row. At that point, another guy on a pit bike (a crew member or friend) took over and pushed this guy the rest of the way.

Saturday night in the tent campground....pure crazy-ness. Crazy guy on CBR standing on gas tank, right foot pinning the throttle doing a burn-out on a piece of wood.

do they sell pit passes during AMA like they do at the IRL race?

You can get down into the paddock area ($15 IIRC), but not into the actual pits most of the time. You can check out all the team garages and typically see the riders walking around. Most of them are very cool about stopping and talking to fans. They also have some balcony type areas above the garages where you can watch the action in the pits.

They do have a fan walk where you can walk through the actual pits for ~30 minutes before the races and meet the riders.

Great looking shots near Honda bridge.Always great to spend time with the parents. I like your tradition.

Friday morning,after lunch break, there was a rider that went off track near Honda bridge, turn seven or eight. Not a crash, but a mechanical issue. It was a black bike, without any sponsers, and had a white background on his bike number on the tail. The corner workers did not call a crash truck for him. The rider was walking the bike along the tire barrier, opened the gate towards the infield and was still pushing the bike. So me and a guy in a golf cart start helping this rider push the bike up the dirt path in hopes of getting back to the pits. After like 30 feet, we decided to have golf cart guy drive the cart, I would "straight leg" push from the passenger seat......This worked out well. We got to the "paved" road at the top of the hill, near vendor row. At that point, another guy on a pit bike (a crew member or friend) took over and pushed this guy the rest of the way.

Saturday night in the tent campground....pure crazy-ness. Crazy guy on CBR standing on gas tank, right foot pinning the throttle doing a burn-out on a piece of wood.

thats awesome of you guys to lend a hand. and if thats all that you thought was crazy about saturday night, well then good for you...

and glad you could make it out again hailwood, going to the races has been a family thing for me as well for a very long time lately though my family havent had the time to join me, but i still love going and having the OR peeps around is a pretty good replacement for the family.

oh and very nice pics as always!!! i may post a few randoms up in a few minutes i am still uploading them from the camera though.

Well, there were other events that occured in the campground, but did not want to comment. Just think of a mini- Mardi-Gras and females "earning their bead necklaces". I seen Ben twice over the course of the weekend. If anybody was in that side of the campground, the group I was with included the 3 guys dressed as "pimps" (this is the third year they dressed up like that).

All the years of me going to Mid-ohio, this was the first time for me going over to that campground after dark. Very fun. I have plenty of Not Work Safe pictures. And when you stay in the camp ground, you dont have to worry about being sober so you can drive to a hotel. The group I was with had a camp spot in the "self-contaned" campground, by the north gate, just over the Honda bridge. For 2011, I plan to get a season pass and a seson campground pass for Mid-Ohio. I'll be there at least for Saturday IRL practice/ Rolex race in 3 weeks.

where did everyoen watch the races from? My brother and I sat near the end of the back straight the first day, and then set up chairs in the esses on Sunday. We'd watch the start from the infield side of the front straight, then book it across the parking lot and vendor area to watch the rest of the race from the esses.

Eslick did his burnout right in front of us after Daytona Sportbike Race 2. I'm pissed at myself for not getting that on video. After watching Saturday's races from further away, I should have known it was coming.

Good on Danny for continuing to silence the people who thought the Buell was giving him an unfair advantage last season.