First gun for me...

|SnOmAn|

Well, I just bought my first gun yesterday. I just went to look and found this one. It was a great price and it has a life time warrenty on it. I was going to look at another gun just to check it out but liked this one better. It's the Hi-Point C9 9mm... It was a great price and on sale as well at the Outdoor place in Lancaster, OH. I've always wanted one for range shooting at times, and for home security. It's not going to be an everyday use gun so the price attracted me even more because of that. I know people swear by name brand, but I read a lot of reviews, curtisey of the iPhone, before I bought it. The one guy hated them, but then I walked away and asked another guy and he was pretty honest about 'em. So, now I just need to go shooting sometime SOON!

Hi-Point C9 9mm

picture.php?albumid=694&pictureid=11181

I actually found this single box there for $4.99, but it was for a glock. It fits good but if you put the big lock on it it doesn't fit so great.

picture.php?albumid=694&pictureid=11179

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the .380 as a gift. It jammed like crazy. I sent it back, they replaced the slide and trigger mech. and it worked great. They also sent me a mag. and ghost sight for my troubles and it was back in a week. Good company, cheap gun. I liked it, but sold it cuz my friends ragged on it so much and I wanted $ to go towards a CC gun.

Watch out, here come the haters.

Yeah, not going to swear by it, but as a starter I'm not going to complain. I know you pay for what you get, but if anything I can pistol whip someone if I really had too...lol. I would love to get a Glock or Ruger, but money is not there and this thing will shot bullets, not pellets.

Nice piece! You mean your first handgun, right?

Nope, first gun all together. I grew up in Florida so it was rare to have a "legal" gun... LOL! Much harder to get and when I lived with my mom she swore that if I brought one home I was out of the house. Live at home for free, or have a gun living on the streets...

Ignore the haters, it's not a perfect gun, but it's fun to shoot with and Hi-Point is based out of Mansfield, Ohio and they have great customer service. I picked up a Hi-Point Carbine a few years ago in 9mm and it's such a fun gun just to dick around with at the range. Hasn't jammed yet for me and I've gotten 800 rounds through it.

A lot of what I read was all about the price and they jam, but with the lifetime warrenty, I don't have to pay to fix. We'll see how it shoots. There was one guy that wrote a review on it and said he shot the Glock and the Hi-Point and the Glock jammed twice and the Hi-Point did not jam. He put quite a few rounds through it too. So, I just think it all depends. I think I did good, with what I really wanted.

I talked to a guy a month ago that had bought a few Hi Points, since they were cheaper in price. He put one in every room of his house, to get at them easy. He said worse case, if it jams, he can at least throw it at the burglar. It's heavy enough to do some damage!

I talked to a guy a month ago that had bought a few Hi Points, since they were cheaper in price. He put one in every room of his house, to get at them easy. He said worse case, if it jams, he can at least throw it at the burglar. It's heavy enough to do some damage!

:lol:

Awesome! It's like a right of passage. Get a Mike's® Inside the Pants slip. Great gun for behind the back.

Sweet... I'm actually going to get my CCW license in June. Like I said, I have always wanted it, just never did it.

If it goes "click" instead of bang, just remember "Tap, Rack, and Bang": Tap the magazine (somewhat forcefully), rack the slide, bang (shoot it). If that fails, pop the magazine out and put another one in.

Congrats!

If it goes "click" instead of bang, just remember "Tap, Rack, and Bang": Tap the magazine (somewhat forcefully), rack the slide, bang (shoot it). If that fails, pop the magazine out and put another one in.

Congrats!

Funny you say that. I was just checking out a few videos last night on YouTube and that's what one of the guys said to do. I was just curious on what to do with a "jammed" gun. I've been shooting before but never trained to shot. Thanks for the advice.

"Jamming", or failure to function, can result for a couple of different reasons.

Most likely reason comes from "riding the slide", i.e. holding onto the slide as it is moving forward. Assuming you're right-handed, you rack with your left hand. Try to think of hitting your right shoulder with your left hand when racking - what I mean is to keep your left hand moving back after the slide is all the way back. Let the slide smack forward - that's what it's supposed to do and will not hurt the gun at all.

Another possible cause of failure to function is that the shooter's grip is not firm enough. Think of how you would want to shake hands with a man at a job interview - firm, solid enough to convey that you're a man, but not strong enough to crush every bone in his hand. The gun should sit in your right hand (again, assuming you're right-handed and right eye dominant) at the V formed between your thumb and first finger, and that V should be at the top of the backstrap, up against the curve.

Learn how to clean and lubricate your gun, and then do it, often. It doesn't take that long, and the more familiar you are with your gun and how all the pieces/parts go together and function with each other, the easier it will be to for you to fix a failure, in the unlikely (since you're keeping it clean, not riding the slide, and holding it correctly) event that a failure should happen.

My advice: Practice shooting at a range. A lot. Until it it feels as natural as writing your name with a pencil. Then practice some more.

It is not the first shot that jambs, it is when you make repeated shots that one will sometimes jamb up. I have never had a problem with the first one. So in other words, if you have to take a shot at someone or something, DON'T MISS. But try what I said earlier about leaving one out, never have had the gun jamb like that.

Good luck. My gun has NEVER jammed. I had to qualify with a Beretta that jammed after every shot. Even if I was putting holes in paper, it's agrovating. I wouldn't want a gun that would give me ANY problems.

I have a POS GLOCK. It's not comfortable, it's not pretty, but it's reliable. That's what matters to me.