Brian Kinney Benefit Ride - June 19, 2010

PhilS

Untitled-3.jpg

Copied over from the CSBA Ride #2 Thread...........

This is the route John Mathis has put together. It should work for everyone. The first third of it will be fairly straight, second third will be sweet and the last will be a relaxing cool down.

Brian is going to be putting some advertising together. It would be great if we could have a huge group of riders. If you all could tell everyone you know about the ride so we raise some funds for the cause.

All types of bikes are welcome, none will be left behind. We will probably split into multiple groups but just to keep the numbers down, not because fast or slow.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/47079

Brian's Facebook Foundation page is.......

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=109176159125192&ref=ts

Come ride with us............and let's get Brian riding again soon.

Edited by PhilS

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting it Phil. I hope everyone can make it out to this one. We will be starting this ride from the Iron Pony rather than the Church. We will figure out the departure time once I speak with Brian. It will probably be later than our usual 9:30am time.

I should be able to make this one. Are we charging to ride or what?

I am not planning on charging for the ride but I will be taking donations for the cause. THe more we can raise for Brian the better.

I am not planning on charging for the ride but I will be taking donations for the cause. THe more we can raise for Brian the better.

The original discussion was $10 per rider but donations would be fine we don't want someone to not come because they can't swing the gas money and the $10 the ultimate goal is to get Brian back on his bike but at the same time the ride is to get together and have fun so if you can please donate if you can't please come and ride anyways.

Man, I'll be the bad guy and say I'm against anyone strapping themselves onto a motorcycle. Suicide in my opinion. We want to bail from the machine and being strapped to it in a wreck will mutilate someone. Just my $.02. I'd love to ride but I shouldn't because I'm against the whole idea of strapping a person on a motorcycle. The thought is insane, sorry.:(:dunno:

Edited by NinjaNick

Man, I'll be the bad guy and say I'm against anyone strapping themselves onto a motorcycle. Suicide in my opinion. We want to bail from the machine and being strapped to it in a wreck will mutilate someone. Just my $.02. I'd love to ride but I shouldn't because I'm against the whole idea of strapping a person on a motorcycle. The thought is insane, sorry.:(:dunno:

Nick, I don't think the straps that hold his legs on will be THAT tough. That may be a concern that the group that helps put the bike together can address as it comes together. Also, I don't think he's planning on riding on the edge so much anymore, but his story has proven that bad things can happen, even just turning out of a parking lot.

I'm sure your concern is noted, and appreciated. I'm pretty sure Brian has thought of this, and is willing to accept the risk.

What's the amount we're trying to raise for this, and what will be done with money raised in excess of the amount needed?

The money is going to the foundation if we raise more than needed that's good Brian already mentioned he also needs to buy new gear and has ongoing medical expenses so don't worry the money will go to good use

I do share your view as well Nick but I'm not gonna be real vocal about it. I don't think I would do it and on that same note I know for a fact I could not have handled this situation nearly as well as he has. I'll just trust that he has fully thought this thru and will offer help in anyway I can, but it is definitely a risky situation.

Thanks for joining the cause guys! I am putting a flier together right now. What this was initially for was to raise the funds for these parts. What's more important though is I'm trying to get back to being fully independent again. Right now I am renting a place. The kitchen is too small to get in and out of and I can't do laundry or shovel snow in the winter. I am in the process of trying to build an accessible home and adding just a few custom options like widening doors, lower counters, accessible bathroom/shower, ramps etc is breaking the bank fast. This is what I really need funds for.

home.jpg

Another thing I REALLY want to do is buy a standing wheelchair. It not only helps keep bones strong but it will make my daily life so much easier. The catch is they are retardedly expensive. This was the demo I tested and I didn't want to get out of it.

mms_picture1.jpg

These are the things I REALLY NEED. I completely understand how some people feel about my idea of getting back on the bike and some don't want to contribute toward the cause. Believe me, I get it. But as Todd said, this is something I have thought through. If I can go on a 20 minute ride, I want to do it. I won't be hitting the crazy roads I used to but to get on and ditch the wheelchair for a while will be an awesome freedom. The leg straps use light velcro that easily tear away. I will always use full gear as I did before. I have already bought the parts for this. I wanted to offset the costs but ultimately to raise money for the house and standing chair.

Unless you ride, most people don't understand my desire to ride again. Most of you get it...but others don't. The facebook page has gotten awesome attention but what I've found is no one wants to contribute to getting me back on a bike...unless they are riders. I have also gotten a lot of flack and people saying they refuse to donate. Again, I get it. But what I want to say is I would NEVER use your money for the bike if I knew you were against it. Being handicapped is FUCKING EXPENSIVE and there are so many things I have to pay for on a daily basis. My medications alone are rediculous. I feel like an old man popping pills every few hours.

I was hoping to charge $20 for the ride but really any donation would be cool. I just want it to be a good turnout.

:mad::thefinger: f the nay-sayers.... you do what is right for you man! I wanna see you back out there and living your life to the fullest extent of your ability... and with a smile on your face... screw everyone who thinks you don't need to fulfill your desires and dreams...tell those that refuse they can have the big finger!!!:bigfinger:

DuDisclaimer: I'm not an asshole, so don't take it as such.

I can understand your desire to get back on the bike through whatever means necessary. It's a quirky setup, but if its been tested, and allows you to ride, I'm happy to give to the cause. Skipping forward, and asking for a stand up wheelchair and, of all things, a house is a little beyond the spectrum of helping someone out, isn't it? I know I'll probably get flack for posting it, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will read it and say, "wtf, a HOUSE?!"

DuDisclaimer: I'm not an asshole, so don't take it as such.

I can understand your desire to get back on the bike through whatever means necessary. It's a quirky setup, but if its been tested, and allows you to ride, I'm happy to give to the cause. Skipping forward, and asking for a stand up wheelchair and, of all things, a house is a little beyond the spectrum of helping someone out, isn't it? I know I'll probably get flack for posting it, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will read it and say, "wtf, a HOUSE?!"

he's not asking for one group or one person to cover the bill, he's working full time to cover the daily costs of living... he's just asking for help... which I'd rather my tax money go to someone like this as opposed to some chick with 10 kids from different fathers, living in some rat hole and collecting money for doing nothing.... I'd be all for brian getting every dime of public assistance he can.... so open your wallet and cough up some cash to help;)