Mid ohio may 20 twilight?

gixxie750

Max-Time Twilight Events: Open to experienced INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCED riders. Intermediate riders will take the track for one 15 minute warm up session and then the advanced riders will do the same. Following the warm up sessions, all riders will be on track at the same time for the remainder of the event. Instructors will still be available to assist you at any time and the checkered flag will fly every 1/2 hour to insure that you come into the pits, take a break and get a drink before heading back out for more fun. To enroll in one of these events you should have ridden in intermediate or advanced levels at least 3 times in the past 12 months. This is to make sure you are comfortable riding with intermediate and advanced riders at the same time. These events have a riding start time of 5:00pm and an end time of DUSK. Remember, that means the ending time will vary depending on what month of the year these events are held.

Its $150 and these nights are always so fun. Anyone interested?

I was there..They Split A from I and ran 30 minute intervals. I thought it was going to be an open track too. Guess Brent wanted to see how it would work. I think there was mixed feedback on splitting the classes, but I think it worked this time. Brent stopped by our garage (9) and told us his timers were reporting the fastest riders and the slowest riders were 30 seconds apart. Thats enough reason for me to agree with the split. He may go to the open track format later in the season when everyone gets faster, and theres less gap in lap time. I think the A group would have been frustrated riding with the I's last night, and there definately would have been more crashes with traffic jams in corners and, guys and girls trying to keep up and ride above there skill level.... Just wish they would start earlier.

We talked to Brent about maybe just running 20 minute sessions still if they keep it split. Most of us were having trouble staying out for the full 30 minutes. I had to at least pull in and sit on the pits and then go back out a few times. I'm fat though. :)

It definitely would have been cooler if we could have just run all together but I understand safety is important.

BTW Brian. Thanks for you help last night and back in April. I really finally feel that I have that gixxer almost completely sorted out now, it's turning in a ton better after moving the forks some. By the end of the night I was actually starting to ramp it up some. A few more sessions and I think I would have been moving pretty good.

When I created this format (yep.....this was my brainchild...) it was intended to be a 15 min warm up for I and 15 min warm up for A and then open track until dusk. It was also for EXPERIENCED Intermediate and Advanced riders only and would only work if not overbooked. The limit I set that I felt was safe and fun was 45 riders total pretty much equally divided between I and A riders..

By spliting the groups into two (I and A) the venue can increase the amount of riders and make a a lot more money. Of course you get only half the track time and then it's not a Maxtime event it is more of a three session LED. Still a fun evening of rocking the track!

I like the fact that the time is split and it would make me come back to twilight events. I am not blaming anyone other than myself for my accident last year but it was in part caused by my inability to deal with a crowded track of much slower riders. I have always been on the track with like skilled riders and understood what to expect from others. Having different passing rules than what you are used to then having a rolling road block in front of you where you don't expect it makes it hard to honor the passing rules and safely slow down to make it past the slower riders.

When I created this format (yep.....this was my brainchild...) it was intended to be a 15 min warm up for I and 15 min warm up for A and then open track until dusk. It was also for EXPERIENCED Intermediate and Advanced riders only and would only work if not overbooked. The limit I set that I felt was safe and fun was 45 riders total pretty much equally divided between I and A riders..

By spliting the groups into two (I and A) the venue can increase the amount of riders and make a a lot more money. Of course you get only half the track time and then it's not a Maxtime event it is more of a three session LED. Still a fun evening of rocking the track!

Thanks Monte... Sure do miss you guys.

I like the fact that the time is split and it would make me come back to twilight events. I am not blaming anyone other than myself for my accident last year but it was in part caused by my inability to deal with a crowded track of much slower riders. I have always been on the track with like skilled riders and understood what to expect from others. Having different passing rules than what you are used to then having a rolling road block in front of you where you don't expect it makes it hard to honor the passing rules and safely slow down to make it past the slower riders.

It's funny how slower riders never give me a problem.. Lizard.. same deal. I mean if you can't pull off good clean passes with three to four feet at a track as wide as Mid-Ohio you'll never be able to.

What's so hard about giving someone three solid feet on a pass? Those were the rules we used iin 09 and 08... Is that not enough room, do you need it t be closer? Seriously, I'm just wondering.

I loved the format (duh.. that's why I came up with it...) that allowed riders to come and go as thy please and sneak a "day" of riding in in a few hours.

In my experience the things that detract from this format are over booking and riders getting out on the track that absolutely were/are not solid Intermediates (something STT did not control when at Mid-Ohio) this format was a blast.

Edited by STT-Guy

Not sure how they would keep people from signing up that are not experienced intermediate but it would obviously be ideal if we could come and go on the track as we please and this was originally what I was hoping for. 20 minute sessions are a nice amount of time to get some riding in but not go so long that you are super tired. Only thing that sucks is that you then have to wait 40 minutes to get back on track thats what is appealing about the MAX time events. Oh well, maybe next time.

Not sure how they would keep people from signing up that are not experienced intermediate...

Wouldn't be that hard, they could go based off of prior registrations for those classes. That would at least give them some where to start.

I think they already require that you've ran a certain number of track days in the last 6 or 12 months don't they?

Only other thing I could think they would measure is lap times.

I think they already require that you've ran a certain number of track days in the last 6 or 12 months don't they?

Only other thing I could think they would measure is lap times.

I have seen people get let in without running multiple days before, from what I have seen with others they really don't look at that.