Female Israeli Soliders-in-training

jblosser

The picture below is one of about 72 depicting life for 18 year old girls/young women in Israel as they go through their 2 year mandatory military training.

The photographer, Rachel Papo, used to live in Columbus. I went to junior high with her brother Avi for one year (7th grade). The family moved back to Haifa after that year (1978 or 9). If I recall correctly the father was a professor at Ohio State.

We (Ridgeview Jr. High) always had an interesting mix of cultures due to the school's proximity to the University. This was before busing, when you went to your neighborhood school.

Rachel now lives in Brooklyn, Avi lives in Israel.

I chose this picture because I like the juxtaposition of the young female soldier, armed with a combat rifle, on the train with a civilian sitting next to her who seems non-plussed by her presence.

The entire series can be found here (click)

Rachel's main website (click)

serial15.jpg

The picture below is one of about 72 depicting life for 18 year old girls/young women in Israel as they go through their 2 year mandatory military training.

The photographer, Rachel Papo, used to live in Columbus. I went to junior high with her brother Avi for one year (7th grade). The family moved back to Haifa after that year (1978 or 9). If I recall correctly the father was a professor at Ohio State.

We (Ridgeview Jr. High) always had an interesting mix of cultures due to the school's proximity to the University. This was before busing, when you went to your neighborhood school.

Rachel now lives in Brooklyn, Avi lives in Israel.

I chose this picture because I like the juxtaposition of the young female soldier, armed with a combat rifle, on the train with a civilian sitting next to her who seems non-plussed by her presence.

Thanks for sharing!! I love how she captured the beauty of women and machines in her pictures.... definitely respectable.

It's cool to know Rachel spent some time in cbus.

I wish I could carry a gun like that.................. ;)

i mean not as secksi as you, duh

Ha!! you won't make that mistake again after i bring home a gun like that.... ;)

Awesome thread. I officially approve!

I have to tell you, being in Israel and talking to officers and soldiers it was absolutely amazing. The feeling of duty everyone has is just incredible.

It's such an important part of your life there it's not even a question of if you will or won't (aside from being mandatory) you spend your childhood deciding if you're going to be career military or private sector... instead of dreading going into the military.

Edited by Likwid

in my opinion a good IDF soldier is a dead IDF soldier.

:nono::postcop:

You'll note that this is in the "pics and vids" section, NOT the politics section.

Post was meant to display images that I found interesting, captured by the sister of a long-ago friend.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by jblosser
grammar: changed "a sister" to "the sister"

M16A1, Vietnam era gun.

A lot of the rifles they carry are older... they had a big problem with theft for a while so only officers get to carry the brand new guns.

This is our guard, they are reservists typically and carry much older guns

n39112443_34082002_5248.jpg

Here's an officer from the gas station.. these are the brand new rifles they are issuing.

n39112443_34136058_2630.jpg

They are the new IWI Tavors

Edited by Likwid

A lot of the rifles they carry are older... they had a big problem with theft for a while so only officers get to carry the brand new guns.

This is our guard, they are reservists typically and carry much older guns

n39112443_34082002_5248.jpg

Here's an officer from the gas station.. these are the brand new rifles they are issuing.

n39112443_34136058_2630.jpg

They are the new IWI Tavors

Cool. Yeah the Iraq Guard soldier's we trained where issued all our old stuff. Desert storm "chocolate chip" uniforms, old kevlars. Don't recall what firearms they had tho.