sideways license plate?

JamesE

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv never been stoped for mine in the past 9 yr of rideing iv had it on 3 diff bikes so good so far
Legal per Ohio's law. Have mine on the swingarm, vertical. Have had for 4 years
is it legal? how many of you have it mounted this way?

interesting to note that the people that have the vertical license plate or want to have the vertical license plate all ride suzuki.

this will go into the research file... lol

All I know on the matter is Neohiofan got a fix it ticket from Kirtland because his was mounted like this or something to the effect.

Personally I wouldn't do it. I could give 2 shits what anyone else does with their bike. If you like it that's all that matters.

i dont see where it says anywhere in the law that its illegal. not sure what the cops are dinging you guys for...

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

personally, i never understood why ppl like it down there either. i think it looks like crap... but its your bike, not mine :)

Edited by John

From the horses mouth: It's illegal, "Improper display of license plates". Will you get a ticket, probably not, but it gives the police a reason to jack you off.
All I know on the matter is Neohiofan got a fix it ticket from Kirtland because his was mounted like this or something to the effect.

Personally I wouldn't do it. I could give 2 shits what anyone else does with their bike. If you like it that's all that matters.

Read below. Knowing the law can save you alot of problems

i dont see where it says anywhere in the law that its illegal. not sure what the cops are dinging you guys for...

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

personally, i never understood why ppl like it down there either. i think it looks like crap... but its your bike, not mine :)

335.10 LICENSE PLATES TO BE UNOBSTRUCTED.

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, upon which license plates are required by law to be displayed, unless the license plates legally registered and issued for such vehicle shall be fastened in such a manner, and not covered, obscured or concealed by any part or accessory of such vehicle or by any foreign substance or material, to be readable in its entirety from left to right.

Here you go smart ass: Elyria Ohio Ordinance

I don't have my books with me at home, but there may or may not be a state code for this offense, but most municipalities have this same Ordinance.

Edited by dsump

Check your own local ORD, this is one example that I can prove is correct. The smartass comment only came cause I felt the earlier "FU" was kinda harsh. Here is Columbus, looks legal to me in Columbus. The only problem I see is the interpretation of "Obstructs Visibility" An Officer could argue in court that the sideways orientation of the plate could cause a visibility issue, especially if the plate faces the ground at an angle.

2135.07 - Registration marks, placards and stickers; display in plain view.

(a)

No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under Sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Ohio Revised Code, furnished by the Ohio Director of Public Safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

Waynesfield is the same.

§ 71.01 DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATES OR VALIDATION STICKERS; REGISTRATION.

(A) (1) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under R.C. §§ 4503.19 and 4503.191, furnished by the Director of Public Safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in-transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

here is a good resource for your local laws.:

http://www.amlegal.com/library/oh/index.shtml

Edited by dsump

335.10 LICENSE PLATES TO BE UNOBSTRUCTED.

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, upon which license plates are required by law to be displayed, unless the license plates legally registered and issued for such vehicle shall be fastened in such a manner, and not covered, obscured or concealed by any part or accessory of such vehicle or by any foreign substance or material, to be readable in its entirety from left to right.

Here you go smart ass: Elyria Ohio Ordinance

I don't have my books with me at home, but there may or may not be a state code for this offense, but most municipalities have this same Ordinance.

That's LOCAL fucktard. STATE law's says nothing about how it's displayed as long as it's visible

Ok you win, I know nothing about law and it's interpretation. So I take it that you only ride on state routes and interstates that are not annexed by local cities and municipalities?

You obviously don't know anything about the law and it's interpretation. Ya see dumbass, I dont live in the window licking town of Elyria so I'm not governed by their display laws while riding thru. Does that make sense to you or should I get some flash cards?