Schools saying what can be brought to school - opinions?

F4iBunny

My kids elementary school would send home the supply list so we'd go buy the stuff and then the teacher would collect everyones supplies and put them in a basket she said it was so the kids who couldn't afford supplies had them WTF!!! tell their dead beat parents to get a job and buy their kids stuff
:nono: oh, you're one of THOSE parents. The ones who probably raise this kids the same way. Good job. Obviously, poor people are always deadbeats without a job.

Everyone that makes less money than conn-e-rot is a poor deadbeat! :rulez::villagers:

:popcorn:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if parent's would teach their kids some values instead of making the schools and government do it, they wouldn't be saying to buy certain brands. And if parents would make their kids go outside and play instead of sitting in front of the TV with a bag of chips, they wouldn't be saying 100% juice.

Now I am not saying I think them saying what brands to buy is right by any means, for a public school system. Private schools, they can say whatever, you don't have to go there.

I have more to say, I just can't find the words. Its late and Im tired.

+1 for parents stepping up to the plate.

I feel like a 90 year old man when I say this but, these kids nowadays, need their asses beat.

:plus1:

I found out about my middle kids nut allergy when he was 1 because we had to go have allergy testing done because he broke out in HUGE welts when he had a milk product. The nut allergy showed up huge and since the schools will not let him keep his epi-pen with him I honestly am scared to death of him going but I am going to send him only cause i do not have a choice.

I had a son w/shit load of allergies in the OH school system. We had to turn the epi-pen over to the school nurse (he was only 3) At the very least your teenaged son should have his epi-pen in the nurse's office

They are so specific because they throw all of the stuff together and the kids then use what they need out of a "common supply". That masks the fact that a certain percentage of the kids aren't asked to bring anything because single momma chooses $6.00/day in cigarettes instead of paying for less important things like school supplies and the kid's lunch. Maybe I'm a prick, but I ask the teacher to give my daughter's scissors back at the end of the year for our own supply. Entitlements have killed charity.

guess that makes me and the wife enablers... We donated over $2k worth of supplies and toys to the OH school system when we were there, another $1k to the school system we're in now, and every X-mas we adopt a family or two. There are a few assholes out there that actually put they wanted a Nintendo Wii (the adults, not their kids), we obviously ignore all that shit and usually do a gift card to a grocery store for the adults, and one or two toys for the kids each, then clothing and schools supplies.

As far as specifying Crayola, I whole heartedly support that. Wasn't there a lead issue w/the crayons made in China? but tissues are tissues, I will send WTF ever brand I choose. To avoid the tissue thing, we donated a Costco case of tissues to my son's first grade class.

It takes a village....

Edited by AOW

:nono: oh, you're one of THOSE parents. The ones who probably raise this kids the same way. Good job. Obviously, poor people are always deadbeats without a job.

No but if someone is too poor to buy their kids school supplies how is that my problem?? The schools should have provisions for that not take supplies from kids whose parents work and buy their supplies.

No but if someone is too poor to buy their kids school supplies how is that my problem?? The schools should have provisions for that not take supplies from kids whose parents work and buy their supplies.

It's not your problem. I don't understand how there are people who can't afford $50 worth of school supplies, either. I think this IS the provision the schools have. Your kids get to use supplies, and the po kids get to use supplies, too.. Are you really upset if you buy crayola crayons, and one day your kid colors a picture with a broken Rose Art crayon that the teacher gave when passing out supplies for the day?

Maybe if I had kids, I'd see things differently.

I think you're making it sounds more sinister than it is.

Second, if i'm remembering the story right, the web cams were accidentally activated, and were only there in the first place as a security measure to catch anyoen who stole one of the computers

i havent delved into it but from what i heard on the radio, there were 56 thousand images taken and the camera was only supposed to activate when the laptop was reported as stolen, i dont buy the accidental story for a second, when some images showed a student popping something in his mouth they decided they were pills and that he was dealing at school, turned out they were candies. Also instant messages were recorded! no accident the school was trying to keep tabs.

so true about laziness/ handouts, im looking for a new country to reside in soon...

Don't get me wrong, I make substantial donations.... I choose very specifically to what organizations those gifts are made. For example... Charity Newsies... as an inner-city special education teacher, my wife actually sees those coats and backpacks on those children. Everyone is a volunteer and every penny goes towards things that parents can't easily divert elsewhere. I also donate substantially to the education foundation in my local school system as the money is used to enhance educational opportunities for all children from the multi-millionaires to the free-lunchers including trips abroad, equipment enhancements in the classrooms, etc.... I cannot stand watching smokers get their free-lunch coupons at school for their kids. I personally believe that if a parent chooses to pay for cigarettes instead of their child's meal, they should be considered neglectful to the full extent of the law. You lose a job, you fall on tough times, you choose to do without the I-phone and the smokes, then that is what these programs should do. Don't be too global with your philanthropy. It's easy to say "save the children" and then send a check. Follow the money, my brother... you will be shocked and disappointed. Many "Not-For-Profits" make as much "Not-For-Profit" as they can.

So I suppose I should pay for gas for the alcholics I work with that drink their pay checks away and run out of money every week too.... WTF

If you can't afford something because you fell upon hard times it's one thing but when people are just too lazy to go buy their kids clothes or supplies or too lazy to attempt to get a job then that's not my freakin' problem....

It's not your problem. I don't understand how there are people who can't afford $50 worth of school supplies, either. I think this IS the provision the schools have. Your kids get to use supplies, and the po kids get to use supplies, too.. Are you really upset if you buy crayola crayons, and one day your kid colors a picture with a broken Rose Art crayon that the teacher gave when passing out supplies for the day?

Maybe if I had kids, I'd see things differently.

I don't really care who uses the supplies but when every kid gets the same list and the list says "your child must have these supplies" then you should buy them if they are to be shared then make that known ahead of time.

Whatever happened to people teaching their kids to work for what they want and to appreciate what they get?? Instead there are kids growing up everyday with parents that cheat the system and are so proud of it that they teach their kids how to do it too. I used to work at a juvenile detention center and we had kids tell us that they liked it better there than at home becuase we told them what to do and yelled when they did something wrong so they knew we cared.... that's just sad

I found out about my middle kids nut allergy when he was 1 because we had to go have allergy testing done because he broke out in HUGE welts when he had a milk product. The nut allergy showed up huge and since the schools will not let him keep his epi-pen with him I honestly am scared to death of him going but I am going to send him only cause i do not have a choice.

:eek:That's kind of shitty that they won't let him have the epi pen! Um, it could save his life! What is he supposed to do otherwise? When I was in college I was in charge of the women's freshman dorm. I had a girl with a peanut allergy and somebody put peanut butter on her door knob. One of the girls came to me and said she got peanut butter. By the time I got to her, her face was swollen, eyes swollen shut and she was turning blue. And her twin sis gave the Epi pen just before I got there. Had to go to the hospital with them and everything. Scary shit!

I just wonder where this allergy came from because it seems so prevalent now.

I have to agree that parents are raising wimpy kids today. They don't let them on the floor or in the dirt, immunize against everything possible, use antibacterial everything so they have no immune systems. (This probably ties in to the nut allergy thing.) They pretty much get whatever they want because parents are afraid to say no. They have absolutely NO work ethic to speak of. I never thought about the bullied suicides but you make a very good point there! Our future is looking grim...

Edited by F4iBunny

:eek:That's kind of shitty that they won't let him have the epi pen! Um, it could save his life! What is he supposed to do otherwise? When I was in college I was in charge of the women's freshman dorm. I had a girl with a peanut allergy and somebody put peanut butter on her door knob. One of the girls came to me and said she got peanut butter. By the time I got to her, her face was swollen, eyes swollen shut and she was turning blue. And her twin sis gave the Epi pen just before I got there. Had to go to the hospital with them and everything. Scary shit!

Peanut butter on the door knob? What kind of a human does that?

:plus1:

I had a son w/shit load of allergies in the OH school system. We had to turn the epi-pen over to the school nurse (he was only 3) At the very least your teenaged son should have his epi-pen in the nurse's office

guess that makes me and the wife enablers... We donated over $2k worth of supplies and toys to the OH school system when we were there, another $1k to the school system we're in now, and every X-mas we adopt a family or two. There are a few assholes out there that actually put they wanted a Nintendo Wii (the adults, not their kids), we obviously ignore all that shit and usually do a gift card to a grocery store for the adults, and one or two toys for the kids each, then clothing and schools supplies.

As far as specifying Crayola, I whole heartedly support that. Wasn't there a lead issue w/the crayons made in China? but tissues are tissues, I will send WTF ever brand I choose. To avoid the tissue thing, we donated a Costco case of tissues to my son's first grade class.

It takes a village....

SOrry for the confusion, but she said middle child, not middle school! :lol: He's going to be starting Kindergarten this fall! But I think it should be with him. We don't know how he would react to a nut exposure, but I know he's not as extreme as some cases I've heard of, one's that can't even be in the same room with peanuts!

That is where people like AOW (and many others) come into play.

So I suppose I should pay for gas for the alcholics I work with that drink their pay checks away and run out of money every week too.... WTF

If you can't afford something because you fell upon hard times it's one thing but when people are just too lazy to go buy their kids clothes or supplies or too lazy to attempt to get a job then that's not my freakin' problem....

There are times when I have trouble making all the bills and payments that we have. I never ask for handouts, though. I can usually make arragements to let something slide and catch back up the next month. I'm trying to catch up now! What do I do about it? I try to work all I can to make enough to cover it! I'm going to try to find something I can do to be able to buy tickets to go see Rush, as long as I can get the bills paid as well.

Seems like everything is screwed up right now.

And it's not getting any better.

It's a cruel world. I'd make fun of someone riding a Hyosung. I GET made fun of for riding an EX500. That's life. better learn to get over that kind of shit or stand up for yourself when you're a kid. It doesn't get any easier with age.
... I don't... maybe its just you. :p

:dunno: I get some flack for riding a Ninja 250. Although, I can ride it well enough to keep up with faster bikes, other than on the straights....

An email I got once, enititled "People over 30 should be dead":

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We went outside and found them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

I really think part of it is we are all freaking out about getting sick. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap after everything you do. Take a medication if your not feeling 100%. God forbid we let our bodies fight infection and build an immunity to stuff.

An email I got once, enititled "People over 30 should be dead":

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We went outside and found them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

EXACTLY! But now, we have become such pansies and weenies.

SOrry for the confusion, but she said middle child, not middle school! :lol: He's going to be starting Kindergarten this fall! But I think it should be with him. We don't know how he would react to a nut exposure, but I know he's not as extreme as some cases I've heard of, one's that can't even be in the same room with peanuts!.

My 4yr old has peanut allergies, but we have never tested the severity...until Easter that is. He ate 3 Resse's Pieces, and after about 40 minutes he was having labored breathing, hives, some swelling in his face. Had to get the Dr. to call a script in for a rescue inhaler and gave him a double dose of benedryl. At the very least, your son's epi-pen MUST be kept with the school nurse. You need to pay the principal a visit.

My 4yr old has peanut allergies, but we have never tested the severity...until Easter that is. He ate 3 Resse's Pieces, and after about 40 minutes he was having labored breathing, hives, some swelling in his face. Had to get the Dr. to call a script in for a rescue inhaler and gave him a double dose of benedryl. At the very least, your son's epi-pen MUST be kept with the school nurse. You need to pay the principal a visit.

As long as the open-enrollment goes through to the neighboring district that we are sending his brother to, I know tha principal, so hopefully being a bit more comfortable talking with her will make the situation a bit easier. I won't ask for any special treatment, just what would she want for her child.

I would almost like to know how bad this nut allergy is, but not bad enough to put the kid through trying it out!

I'm actually an administrator at an inner city school in Dayton. There have been a lot of rants in this thread that I would like to address.

The peanut allergy- It's a big deal. We've had to have entire peanut free areas.

Peanuts can be deadly...sad but true.

School supply lists- Every school has them. They shouldn't be brand specific though. That's pretty crazy, I'm guessing that this is a school that has the demographic that brand name things wouldn't be hard to obtain. My school we have a list and thankfully we have some very supportive parents and churches and people in the community that want to help.

Wussy kids- It's not the kids, it's the parents and society that have made them this way. Like every all children, they are what their parents raise them to be. Schools can only do so much. It's entirely unfortunate that schools seem to be expected to "raise" children, that isn't the intent of schools.

Props to all those parents out there that understand actions and consequences! I'm sure it isn't easy...I'll get to know soon, the wife is six month pregnant.

I am an elementary teacher and I spend thousands of my own money each year because of the parents that "can't" supply things for their own children. I end up buying coats... shoes... supplies... and other things needed for these children. (The kids come in with worn out shoes and clothes too small.) When I ask for any extra supplies or anything for special events..these parents never send anything in. (They are usually all about sending in cookies for a party!) The funny thing is... these are the children that come in with their clothes smelling like smoke! I don't see how anyone could afford to smoke! These are also the kids with all the video games and toys they want (often games inappropriate!). These are usually the first parents to complain when their child gets "in trouble" at school.. or that their kid should't have homework.. or their kid shouldn't have consequences for not getting their reading log signed or not doing their homework.

When you have a child your goal should be to better your child's life. I am convinced our world is heading the way the movie "Idiocracy" shows society... Haven't seen it then download it! If you don't find it funny and don't agree.... you are one of them!

Come on people.. Rose Art crayons and markers SUCK! They don't color well and the markers run out after a few weeks. If you don't buy all wood pencils.. the lead breaks quicker and they don't sharpen right. I am all about buying cheap things because I have to spend my own money for the parents who don't care.. but certain things shouldn't be cheap.. crayons.. markers.. pencils. (Tissues don't matter.)

I do think there are people out there who truly are going through tough times.. These are the people who don't ask for handouts. They understand that their child is number one.... They support their education.

Come on people, your child is number one...You made a choice to have a child and you need to support their education. If this support means your child needs Crayola crayons..so be it! Quit complaining..think about what you are teaching your child! If you don't like it... homeschool. Is 20 cents of savings worth it?

I'm actually an administrator at an inner city school in Dayton. There have been a lot of rants in this thread that I would like to address.

The peanut allergy- It's a big deal. We've had to have entire peanut free areas.

Peanuts can be deadly...sad but true.

School supply lists- Every school has them. They shouldn't be brand specific though. That's pretty crazy, I'm guessing that this is a school that has the demographic that brand name things wouldn't be hard to obtain. My school we have a list and thankfully we have some very supportive parents and churches and people in the community that want to help.

Wussy kids- It's not the kids, it's the parents and society that have made them this way. Like every all children, they are what their parents raise them to be. Schools can only do so much. It's entirely unfortunate that schools seem to be expected to "raise" children, that isn't the intent of schools.

Props to all those parents out there that understand actions and consequences! I'm sure it isn't easy...I'll get to know soon, the wife is six month pregnant.

Congrats on the pregnancy!