RC51 vs VFR or my first ride on my Viffer

garysol1

I dont know anyone who buys a new bikes then says "I HATE THIS THING"

I will be no different. Holy Shit I love riding this VFR. It's more than fast enough, very stable through the turns and rides like your on air....really. The V4 makes all the right noises and the exhaust note from the can is reminiscent of a F1 car. I rode for about 1.5 hours today and the smile never left my face

Now comparing the RC51 to a VFR is akin to comparing a Corvette to a Nascar but here goes....

Comfort........... really? there is none on the RC. Ass high and hands low. The perfect position for getting around Mid Ohio fast but it sucks when traveling for 60 straight ass miles down 83.

You sit in the VFR as opposed to sitting on the RC. Once on the VFR your butt feels low and the handlebars are in a perfect natural position. Real world low, sporty but not race replica'ish.

Suspension..... The RC was taught and felt phenomenal in the turns. The suspension felt fine in day to day riding as well but was a little jarring on sharp bumps. The VFR feels very stable on the smooth turns but does tend to wallow a bit when the road gets at all bumpy. It is a bit soft for me but some preload tweaking may help with that.

Engine..... The RC was stronger everywhere from 6,000 on up. The sound was amazing but I hated when ever I had to run through town at 30 mph Either I had to keep the bike a gear or two high and scream it or it would just cam up and start snatching the chain. The VFR on the other hand still pulls very strong from off idle up to 10,000 or so but is very smooth even when cruising a gear to low. Very flexable engine.

IMG_0794-1.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Edited by garysol1

Thanks everyone.....I have a Sargent seat on the way as well as a Marsee tank bag :)

Going to "tour" her out :)

VFR8WSc.jpg

hell yeah.. now get some hard bags too

if you are interested in hard bags my buddy sells the shad bags, and can get you a KILLER deal on a hard bag setup with brackets and all

if your interested. ill get you in touch with him

Hey, that bike looks familiar. Nice find! -Your finding out why I'm addicted to viffers. -

---------- On the 5th gens, a lot of people find the suspension soft and thats the first upgrade to go.

- Since you have a '98, the achilies heel of the thing is the R/R. Check to see if its the original one or its been replaced. Those suckers die at about 13 - 15k miles. Save your pennies for a replacement - it will crap out, guarenteed. Also, Its worth while to spend 40 bucks and get a upgrade hardness from this guy.. (UPDATED LINK ---- http://www.wiremybike.com/ --)

He's kinda the VFR electrical guru.

Congrats, feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the '98. I probly have changed, attacked damn near everything on the bike.

Edited by mello dude