CCW while riding?

chevysoldier

I'm always afraid that it will vibrate out of my IWB, so I usually put it in my jacket pocket in the IWB holster. I then try to hit a restroom and put it in my pants if I stop. I don't carry very often when I ride because the destination usually involves work or eats (with liquor licenses).

Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. They also make a shoulder rig that the holster itself attaches to. Also a drop leg. So it's one holster that you can wear anyway the situation dictates. It locks the weapon in and a finger tab releases it upon draw.

I know my fatass has abused this thing and it's held up well.

Angry face on the paddle included for free.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Holsters,16.htm

100_1871.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I am aware of is openly carrying on a bike is considered concealed carry because a bike follows motor vehicle laws. So you must possess a CHL.

I did not know that. it doesn't apply to me cause I have my ccw, but it's good to know. Anyway, I carry my full size Glock 21 in a bellyband under my jacket. It fits fine and is comfortable, but my only concern is when I'm all zipped up and velcroed with my riding jacket it would be hard to get to quick if I needed it, so I'm open to suggestions as well.

Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. They also make a shoulder rig that the holster itself attaches to. Also a drop leg. So it's one holster that you can wear anyway the situation dictates. It locks the weapon in and a finger tab releases it upon draw.

I know my fatass has abused this thing and it's held up well.

Angry face on the paddle included for free.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Holsters,16.htm

100_1871.jpg

Excellent! I'll see if I can order one tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

I can see the headlines now...MAN INVOLVED IN FREAK MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT, BIKE FLIPS 100 TIMES AND BURST INTO FLAMES, MAN ROLLS, FLIPS, SLIDES, HUNDREDS OF YARDS, SURVIVES WRECK BUT DIES FROM GUNSHOT WOUND BY OWN GUN...news at 11, lol..maybe not funny but it was in my head...

I OC while riding using a OWB holster, i just use the cheap one that came with my XD, never had a problem with it falling out or anything like that. I do plan on using a drop down leg holster once it arrives.

I hate wearing one while I ride.

You havent used a good one yet then. There are several made for riding they use a chest strap in addition to the regular straps and are padded. No jerking around in the wind and such. I've got one and love it.

I can see the headlines now...MAN INVOLVED IN FREAK MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT, BIKE FLIPS 100 TIMES AND BURST INTO FLAMES, MAN ROLLS, FLIPS, SLIDES, HUNDREDS OF YARDS, SURVIVES WRECK BUT DIES FROM GUNSHOT WOUND BY OWN GUN...news at 11, lol..maybe not funny but it was in my head...

:lol: Nice

I OC while riding using a OWB holster, i just use the cheap one that came with my XD, never had a problem with it falling out or anything like that. I do plan on using a drop down leg holster once it arrives.

I hadn't even thought about it vibrating out of the holster. Thanks guys, now I'm worried about that too. I do have a Fobus OWB, it's a pretty snug fit.

You havent used a good one yet then. There are several made for riding they use a chest strap in addition to the regular straps and are padded. No jerking around in the wind and such. I've got one and love it.

I have one with the chest strap and good padding but with my riding position the extra weight wears on my back. If I rode upright like on a cuiser I'd be fine, I used to backpack on multi day hikes and of course military road marches. :D

I ccw'd on my jet ski today.

Of course you did Gump.

I gotta admit, the biggest thing you can do is just stop worrying about it.

I carried for about 10 hours today with Kholster. Bike, car, etc etc... once you stop worrying about it you'll forget your even wearing a holster.

I carried for about 10 hours today with Kholster. Bike, car, etc etc... once you stop worrying about it you'll forget your even wearing a holster.

Sort of like a wedding ring? :lol:

Yeah.. that's the impression I was under. Does Gixxie not have his CHL? Maybe I haz a confuzed?

I was under the impression that if you had a loaded weapon it had to be on your person. I just checked the 09 laws and you are correct that carrying a loaded weapon in a case, aka locked truck is ok as long as you have your chl.

Normally I don't really notice wearing a holster. Just wanted to see if fellow CHL holders have come across anything I should be concerned about when carrying and riding.

yeah if it has a latch, zipper, or any sort of closing device its legal to carry a loaded weapon off person in a vehicle with a CHL

For clarification,

What wasn't clear about it?

Didn't even think about a shoulder harness. That might be the way to go. I also worry about my jacket coming up and exposing it while I ride. Don't want to draw unwanted attention from either civilians or LE.

The first 3 years of this law in Ohio were confusing. When I took my class the first year it was available the law said that if stopped while driving you had to have your gun on the seat or visible somewhere even if it's on your person. This meant that you could have it concelaled, but if you were stopped it had to be visible. God help you if you get pulled over and go to put it on the seat, or even move your shirt to make it visible, if you don't get shot it's a 4th degree felony, and they know you have a CCL before they get out of the sqad car anyway. The law was stupid.

The laws for riding a MC and carrying were very unclear too we were told the only way you can carry on a MC without clearly breaking a law was to keep the gun visible, but in that case it was on your person AND you were drawing attention to it, thus you could freak somebody out and "cause panic" and that is against the law too, so I did not carry a-lot. If I knew I was going somewhere and felt I needed to carry I just hoped for the best.

The recent change in the law say's to keep your gun on your person and you can keep it concealed. Keep your hands on the wheel and tell the cop you have a CCL and tell him you are carrying. He already assumes you are.

Yes, that's I have a CCL officer, not to be confused with I have a gun officer! :)

Do you guys wear riding jackets while carrying? If so how do you keep your weapons concealed, and yet still easily accessible if needed? I used an OWB holster today that is not a cc holster just hooks onto my belt. The top of the gun was covered but the bottom of the holster and gun stuck out under my jacket. I had to stop for gas, but I'm not sure if anyone noticed i was carrying. Just looking for suggestions

Do you guys wear riding jackets while carrying? If so how do you keep your weapons concealed, and yet still easily accessible if needed? I used an OWB holster today that is not a cc holster just hooks onto my belt. The top of the gun was covered but the bottom of the holster and gun stuck out under my jacket. I had to stop for gas, but I'm not sure if anyone noticed i was carrying. Just looking for suggestions

Most sheeple will never notice if you're carrying.

Yes, I ride with a jacket, but I mostly carry IWB on the bike.

The first 3 years of this law in Ohio were confusing. When I took my class the first year it was available the law said that if stopped while driving you had to have your gun on the seat or visible somewhere even if it's on your person. This meant that you could have it concelaled, but if you were stopped it had to be visible. God help you if you get pulled over and go to put it on the seat, or even move your shirt to make it visible, if you don't get shot it's a 4th degree felony, and they know you have a CCL before they get out of the sqad car anyway. The law was stupid.

The laws for riding a MC and carrying were very unclear too we were told the only way you can carry on a MC without clearly breaking a law was to keep the gun visible, but in that case it was on your person AND you were drawing attention to it, thus you could freak somebody out and "cause panic" and that is against the law too, so I did not carry a-lot. If I knew I was going somewhere and felt I needed to carry I just hoped for the best.

The recent change in the law say's to keep your gun on your person and you can keep it concealed. Keep your hands on the wheel and tell the cop you have a CCL and tell him you are carrying. He already assumes you are.

Yes, that's I have a CCL officer, not to be confused with I have a gun officer! :)

I understand what you mean about being on a bike. I have researched a little bit about the way the law used to be but wasn't carrying back then. I don't think they were as confusing as they were stupid. Anywho, I don't get too worried anymore if someone sees it. If they panic I have done nothing illegal so I'm not too worried.

Chevy look up the origins of "the buckeye tuck"... you used to have to tuck your shirt in behind your gun when driving because of the "in plain sight" requirement.

No I know what buckeye tuck is. I've done it a couple times when I just want to open carry with a IWB holster. again, that law was stupid as all get out. Just as stupid as Class D laws.

I used a paddle holster OWB, most of the time it was under my jacket but if I was moving around a lot it'd be showing, I don't really give a shit, if my gun bothers you thats your problem, Open carry is legal in Ohio, and I have my CWP (CHL, CCW etc etc) I've been sitting at a light and had some old lady eyeing me looking like I had a priests head on a stake attached to the back of my bike. Felt back, yeah gun was exposed lol

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a compression shirt similar to an under armor shirt. But it has a holster built into the sides. I carry my xd .45 with no issues. It is very similar to a shoulder holster. I don't worry about falling on it because the gun is inside my jacket near my ribs. Depending how I hit its unlikely that it will hit and being under the jacket shouldn't take damage. My ribs would probably take most of the damage. I would rather risk damaging the gun and injuring myself than become the victim of a serious crime because I chose not to carry that day.