suspension adjustments sv650

Radio Flyer

Bike: 2007 sv650s

I've never messed with my adjustments for the suspension and I was wondering if anyone had a chart or guide to follow for setting this.

I'm 140 lbs if that can help me get a straight answer.

I highly doubt anything on it has been changed from the factory settings.

IIRC, the 650s don't have adjustable forks from the factory. You can adjust the rear, but the fronts are cheapo units to keep costs down. To change those, you actually have to take them apart and change the internals. You're better off swapping GSXR suspension into it.

As far as how you do it - Google is your friend: http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension_setup/146_0402_suspension_setup_guide/index.html

http://www.uponone.com/howtos/4.pdf

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/index.html

Edited by JRMMiii

You have preload adjustment up front and preload adjustment in the rear, that's it. Nothing else.

The stock SV suspension is budget "friendly". Or, not worth a crap. Now you are at the right range for stock suspension, spring rate wise. If you want to tweak what you have, then you will have to set your sag, by adjusting the preload on the bike.

How many lines are showing on your front forks? What position is the ramp adjuster at in back?

BTW - The owners manual has a section on how to set and what to set per your weight.

There is also plenty of info on SVRider.com about suspension and budget upgrades if need be. Or I can help the best I can from across the internet. I've done plenty of SV suspensions in the past (rebuild, upgrade, set-up, etc...)

I'm looking for my pre load setting. Where should it be for me?

I've looked in the manual and cant find if you weigh xxx set it to xxx.

Everything is stock settings from the factory. Someone told me it's stock set up is for a 145lb rider which I'm probably at or just above fully geared up.

at 140 lbs., you're probably not going to need to adjust much...

The problem is that the Japanese test riders are usually 160 soaking wet, and the average American is 225 or something silly.

As others have noted, an SV650 doesn't have compression or rebound adjustments stock. the cheapest upgrade would be to purchase cartridge emulators from RaceTech.

You drill out the holes in the damping rods to the point that they don't actually "dampen" the flow of your fork oil, and then the cartridge emulator acts as a valve that opens under slow, steady pressure (like turning), but stays relatively firm under abrupt pressure (like hard braking).

I had them in my F2, and a friend of mine had them in his 06 or 07 SV.