GPS Mounting On Bike (what do you use?)

Likwid

Have a look at some 'Instructables'. They have several home-made mounts for GPS. http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=motorcycle+gps+mount&limit%3Atype%3Aid=on&type%3Aid=on&type%3Auser=on&type%3Acomment=on&type%3Agroup=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&sort=none

I don't use mine while I'm riding. If I do need it while riding I put it in the clear map pouch on my tank bag. Most of the time I stop and use it, if needed. With the people I ride with the number one use seems to be. "Where the heck is the nearest gas station" as we sit in the middle of farmland, ohio.

Edited by newOldUser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using RAM Mounts for years on my various bikes; love them to bits. Simple design (ball and socket, like an elbow) and they're sturdy. Very easy to install and they also have locking options so you can keep your devices on the bike. I use one for my Zumo 550 and XM antenna combo. Also had RAM's version of an Otterbox when I used to use an iPod. I also have an attachment to mount a standard camera onto any of the mounts on my bike.

For most standard bikes, RAM makes a ball mount that clamps using your master cylinder bolts. They also make a mount that can fit on 7/8" or 1" handlebars and even a plate style one that bolts above the cover of the master cylinder. Colors are available in black or chrome.

I'd just go to their website and buy from them directly (http://www.ram-mount.com/). Aerostitch also carries their stuff, too.

20359_1315517842739_1074488978_950670_6566480_n.jpg

mount : RAM Motorcycle Fork Stem Base Mount RAM-B-176U

GPS: Garmin Zumo 660

I've been using RAM Mounts for years on my various bikes; love them to bits. Simple design (ball and socket, like an elbow) and they're sturdy. Very easy to install and they also have locking options so you can keep your devices on the bike. I use one for my Zumo 550 and XM antenna combo. Also had RAM's version of an Otterbox when I used to use an iPod. I also have an attachment to mount a standard camera onto any of the mounts on my bike.

For most standard bikes, RAM makes a ball mount that clamps using your master cylinder bolts. They also make a mount that can fit on 7/8" or 1" handlebars and even a plate style one that bolts above the cover of the master cylinder. Colors are available in black or chrome.

I'd just go to their website and buy from them directly (http://www.ram-mount.com/). Aerostitch also carries their stuff, too.

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate how secure the GPS to the MOUNT is (NOT Mount to Bike)

1 being rubber band

10 being welded to your bike

I dunno man, gotta remember I have no fairings... that sucker better be held pretty damn secure.

I don't think you'll be getting a lot of air pressure pushing on the unit even without any fairings. Are you planning on mounting way up in the air and attaching a sail to it? ;)

The vibrations and bumps will likely be the largest culprit trying to remove your GPS from the mount, and that will be similar between all the bikes.

I don't think you'll be getting a lot of air pressure pushing on the unit even without any fairings. Are you planning on mounting way up in the air and attaching a sail to it? ;)

The vibrations and bumps will likely be the largest culprit trying to remove your GPS from the mount, and that will be similar between all the bikes.

Well yah, up in the air with it's own parachute.

I just figure, 80 mph wind is enough to break it free. but it sounds like I'm worrying too much

picture.php?albumid=684&pictureid=7188picture.php?albumid=684&pictureid=7187

Here is what i use. I made the knob sticking out of the steering stem. Works ok but i need to made the distance between the ball and shoulder closer. At high RPM the GPS unit will vibrate down. Probaly will make a new one before spring comes around.

Edited by 20thGix

Yah, I ran out of cell phone battery a lot :( I'll probably pick up an inline-fuse water proof socket very soon. Did you buy any specifically or just one from AutoZone?

thats a good idea....you can practice then help me? :lol:

Standard cradle from GPS unit, mounted to a small rectangular piece of aluminum, mounted to a piece of plastic with some grooves in it to accept a couple of o-rings. If I had a larger diameter piece of plastic lying around I would have skipped the piece of aluminum. Shove the whole mess in the fork tube and you're done.

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=9792

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=9793

I have done this on four different bikes without an issue, close to 40k miles. I don't understand the extra pieces needed with the ram mounts.

So first of all, this thread has been incredibly helpful! Loving the suggestions

I zip tie it , i need to run a adapter to charge it , cuz i run out of battery life pretty quick ??

Yah, I was worried about that. The model I bought has one of the highest battery lives I could find... 5 hours... so I MAY not have to run a plug... but we'll see.

Standard cradle from GPS unit, mounted to a small rectangular piece of aluminum, mounted to a piece of plastic with some grooves in it to accept a couple of o-rings. If I had a larger diameter piece of plastic lying around I would have skipped the piece of aluminum. Shove the whole mess in the fork tube and you're done.

I have done this on four different bikes without an issue, close to 40k miles. I don't understand the extra pieces needed with the ram mounts.

I don't have a fork tube that's quite as accessible ;)

Although, I think I know someone who does injection molding.... hmmmmmm ;)

The model I bought has one of the highest battery lives I could find... 5 hours... so I MAY not have to run a plug... but we'll see.

The model I use has up to 20 hours of battery life depending on how you back light it.

For that low of a volume molding it wouldn't be the way to go.