Computer geeks - I need some help

Earache

you can always get a "system builders" copy of xp. its a little bit cheaper.

whatever you do you guys need to do it quickly. microsoft has discontinued XP and all remianing supplies of the xp install discs will be gone soon.

pesonally, I would see if it will run windows 7. you can get 7 for practically the price of XP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511&cm_re=xp_home-_-32-116-511-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-116-752-_-Product

Linux FTW!

dude linux is great if you don't have other things besides browsing the internet to do.....it's only available software that it comes with is like stuff apple and microsoft was making in 1988.

linux itself is great...it's problem is there is no good software for it. unless you can make your own, it's not worth installing linux.

I've put in shitload of HD's in Dells and a different size one shouldn't matter to the install disc, make sure it's *booting to the CD or DVD ROM drive first* in the BIOS, a lot of people think it'll do that , but the factory sets it up to boot from the HD first to save boot time.

Alternate pressing F2, F12 and Delete a few times when it first boots up, F2 *should* get you into the BIOS, F12 *should* get you into the boot manager and just to be on the safe side, most manufacturers use Delete to get into the BIOS. Set the optical drive as first boot.

Reboot with the disc in the drive.

Then once it gets done with the Power On Self Test it'll prompt you to press any key to boot from the CD, press a key. I can't tell you how many people either miss that or just don't and it goes on to boot from the HD and then tell me that the Windows CD is junk :rolleyes: .

When it gets to the partition screen I usually create one for Windows and one to save things like mp3s or pics.

Dells are like most any other comp I've worked on aside from the proprietary physical bits on some models and occasional odd form factor like the Mini ITX units, that and thier HD's & PSU's do have a tendency die a bit faster than on a higher quality unit.

Edited by psyco1

Any - he just needs the PC to surf, etc - won't be using Excel or Word much so the Home Ed will do.
dude linux is great if you don't have other things besides browsing the internet to do

Guess Linux would be "great" for him, according to your own words, correct?

.....it's only available software that it comes with is like stuff apple and microsoft was making in 1988.

linux itself is great...it's problem is there is no good software for it. unless you can make your own, it's not worth installing linux.

Umm, yeah. Have you <ever> tried Linux? Even looked at the package lists for <any> distro in the past, oh, say 5 years?

And Linux "is only worth installing if you can make your own"? Your own what? Roll your own distro? Write your own software?

I'm not saying that someone who won't/can't replace a hard drive should attempt to install and use Linux, but to make the statements you made make it appear as though you have no idea what you're talking about.

yeah if he wants just basic operation of his computer. linux would work good for him.

getting videos from the net to play are sometime hit and miss, and forget about watching dvd's, print features other than basic print from the printer, games, scanners, fax, and that sort of thing.

no one likes thumbing through 100Xs of files looking for software when people of linux wont even take the time to "name" stuff. instead they leave it in some kind of random code like, ps563sdktr. I mean WTF? name the damn thing so people can tell what the hell it is.

most people need to use the computer for more than playing a cd while browsing forums.

don't talk to me about using linux...I've got it installed on my 2nd drive..it's never been used for anything serious. because you can't do anything with it because of the very poor limited software that comes with it.

if you need a computer to run a website or as a company server etc, simple basic computing...linux is the answer. if you need it to do serious stuff with good software support from hardware and peripheral support windows and Mac have that covered.

Screenshot-2.jpg

Screenshot_Modified_in_GIMP_Image_Editor_.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

<beep> === a little off topic ====

Just my 2 cents about linux...

If you haven't tried Linux in a couple years you might want to give it another look.

Two (of the many good distributions) are:

Ubuntu Linux: http://www.ubuntu.com/

and Linux Mint: http://linuxmint.com/

Both versions can be downloaded (600+ MB) for free, burned to a CD and then booted from. It will allow you to see how Linux works with your hardware before installing it on your machine. Both come with Firefox installed so you can browse the internet.

I'm pretty sure both come with Open Office which allows you to read and write most MS Office documents.

These are two versions I've used. There are many fine distributions out there. Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/ is a good place to read about the pros and cons of each.

===== return to topic ==== <beep>

Edited by newOldUser

i used ubuntu two years ago and was having nearly the same problems serpent was describing, however i gave it another go this past summer when i heard about some updates to the ubuntu software and found that most if not all of those problems were taken care of.

Download the latest of XP you can find and PM me

I will have a legit XP key for you

Since I am not only a OSU Student, I'm also a CSE major which gives me a ton of Microsoft Software/OS' for free including XP,Vista, and 7

Also if you're having trouble downloading it and burning it to cd or dvd let me know and I can burn one for you.

I'm betting the same can't be had for windows home server.... I really like Home Server, and need to get a *cough* good */cough* copy of it on my box. I use it for my web server, and it's intended backup and media sharing. It's also great for remote access! I just need to get pop email running on it without buying a quirky add-on, and I'd be golden!

....I just need to get pop email running on it without buying a quirky add-on, and I'd be golden!

quick Google search turned up this link to a "free for up to 10 users on one domain" mail system for Home Server.

I've got Server 2000/2003/2008 Standard and Enterprise, but no Home server. Sorry.

Um, isn't the DELL OEM info stored in BIOS?

So that a new hard drive should be recognized as an OK option as long as it's set to boot from the CD.

Seems to me that was the way I did it on a bunch of old Dells.

Wipe the old drive, reboot F12 choose CD, create partition, format and let it go.

It would auto install the Win Serial number and everything as long as it was the correct Dell disc for that model. (Insperion etc.)

Just a thought...

Ok, everyone is getting confused about "disc". It's not the hard drive.

Hard drive change, type, and size has nothing to do with it and can be almost anything.

"Disc" as in matching to product key, is the CD or DVD from Microsoft or through a manufacturer like DELL, to install the XP operating system.

Microsoft can make them anyway they want, to lock to one or more or a range of product key sticker pasted to machines.

And recognize when it's the not the correct machine, or a change in the hardware parts used.

And authorize and/or limit the number of installs allowed regardless of hardware changes or failures.

And they can change the rules anytime they want by requiring contact with Microsoft servers for authorization at time of install.

And they can and will change all of the above at any time, if they think they can make more money doing it differently.

edit: lol, and quit posting over sized pictures so that we all have to scroll back and forth to read stuff...

Edited by ReconRat

quick Google search turned up this link to a "free for up to 10 users on one domain" mail system for Home Server.

I've got Server 2000/2003/2008 Standard and Enterprise, but no Home server. Sorry.

Hmmm... Nice find! I'll have to try that one out!

I have a Server 2003 box doing little more than email now. It's a P3-500, I think. PAINFULLY slow when doing anything else, but does basic pop email just fine.

Um, isn't the DELL OEM info stored in BIOS?

So that a new hard drive should be recognized as an OK option as long as it's set to boot from the CD.

Seems to me that was the way I did it on a bunch of old Dells.

Wipe the old drive, Insert the DELL install disk, reboot, hit F12 choose CD boot, create partition, format and let it go.

It would auto install the Win Serial number and everything as long as it was the correct Dell disc for that model. (Insperion etc.)

Just a thought...

Corrected.

What I was getting at was that the install disc supplied by DELL checked the BIOS to make sure it was a DELL machine of the correct model for that disc before it would install.

This check would then match the OEM serial number to the model number and auto install the same number as on the sticker on the side of the case.

Of course, this was back in the day...

Street, if the Inspiron's (which I assume is what Earache's dealing with) are anything like the business lines (Optiplex and Latitude) the XP install CD doesn't care about any internal info, I always have to input the CD key straight from the sticker on the PC itself. The only thing that's "keyed", if you can call it that, is the driver CD for the model. Just pull down the VGA and network drivers on a thumbdrive, install once the OS is loaded, hop on the net and things will work themselves out online.

Sounds like Earache is well taken care of, and it looks like the 'nix zealots came out in force.

Street, if the Inspiron's (which I assume is what Earache's dealing with) are anything like the business lines (Optiplex and Latitude) the XP install CD doesn't care about any internal info, I always have to input the CD key straight from the sticker on the PC itself. The only thing that's "keyed", if you can call it that, is the driver CD for the model. Just pull down the VGA and network drivers on a thumbdrive, install once the OS is loaded, hop on the net and things will work themselves out online.

Sounds like Earache is well taken care of, and it looks like the 'nix zealots came out in force.

As I said, in the day...

That said I like Linux.

Sadly most game mfg's don't support it.

Can you imagine, MS doesn't port their X-Box games to linux? [chuckle]

I'm betting the same can't be had for windows home server.... I really like Home Server, and need to get a *cough* good */cough* copy of it on my box. I use it for my web server, and it's intended backup and media sharing. It's also great for remote access! I just need to get pop email running on it without buying a quirky add-on, and I'd be golden!

multiple versions of server things are available:

Few Exchange Server's

Few SQL Server's

Multiple versions of Windows Server 2003

and a Windows Server 2008 R2

Back to Earache's question:

I put an .ISO of a Dell Reinstallation CD (XP SP2) and an .ISO of straight XP SP3 here: http://jblosser.com/orstuff

I'm assuming, but not promising, that the Dell .ISO would work.

I'm thinking the SP3 .ISO <might> be a "Corporate Volume License" (CVL) edition, which means you need a CVL product key to install - the one on the side of the machine won't work.