Computer geeks - I need some help

Earache

I'm trying to install a new hard drive in my friend's PC - a Dell - after his HD died.

No problem with with putting it in the box, etc - but I can't load my HP Recovery Discs onto the Dell. Assuming HP has some sort of lock preventing this. My friend, a retard at best, didn't make recovery disc copies when his PC was new.

So - anyone got a copy of XP I can use to load an OS onto this thing?

Know if Dell will supply him with recovery dics if he calls them? (I'd be amazed if they did - but ya never know).

Let me know,

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Yeah recovery disks that come with a pc are usually specific to that pc. My wife and I both have PowerSpec pc's

from Microcenter but they are different "models" and her recovery disk would not work with mine.

You need just a standard XP disk.

Make sure it's booting the CD/DVD by hitting F12 at startup and selecting the CD/DVD drive to boot up. It shouldn't block an install till you start the restore and it realizes it's not a matching computer. Make sure both the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive are visible in BIOS as installed. Fix it if it isn't.

The DELL restore disks tend to be model or model range specific. So one set might not work on some other model. DELL support is supposed to support this, by sending a new set of restore disks. But there's often a shipping fee to cover costs. When we replace hard drives on DELLs under warranty at work, they often ask if we need the set of restore disks (free).

The only restore disk sets I have are GX620 and 755, and some laptops. I think...

And I think I've only got one copy of the GX620 restore still around, but copies work.

edit: the restore disks don't always come with a new computer. You have to call and ask for them, so they can make yet another tiny bit of money. The missing applications and drivers will also be supplied in the set of disks.

Edited by ReconRat
moar

I still have an active college email address. That's how I got 7 Pro for $40. You can go that route. What model Dell system is it?

It's about 4 years old (should just buy a new PC, 2 young kids, etc so he's broke).

Model is Dimension 1100 (cheap desk top)

I can probably hook you up with a Nero Disk Image of "XPHomeEdition w/SP2" if you want. You can install and run XP without a key for I think 30days.

Thanks, but I'd rather get himn a permanent fix.

Thanks, but I'd rather get himn a permanent fix.

If the pc has the Windows sticker on it there is most likely a valid registration key on it. Thats all you need if you can "aquire" a copy of the software from someone.

The 30day thing only applies if you don't have a registration key to use.

If it's a major manufacturer and product key, the standard Win XP OEM install will probably reject the product key and say you have to use that major manufacturer's Win XP to install using that product key. Same opsys, but rulez! There are ways around anything, but can be a pain in the butt.

It's to keep people from stealing Microsoft's stuff. (imho: And goof things up so bad that people just break down and buy another one, when they already have or had a legal copy.) And now thanks to MicroSoft using it's Genuine Advantage (nazi ware), there is a risk that product keys and stuff won't match up and the op sys and MS apps will shut down and stop working.

Thanks MicroSoft, for being so anal about your products and who can sell them and how. And who can and can't use them and how.

edit: ergo, this means I'd still make that call to DELL and get them to send the op sys install. It only takes a couple of days to arrive. It's either free or low cost, and well worth having around.

Edited by ReconRat

Download the latest of XP you can find and PM me

I will have a legit XP key for you

Since I am not only a OSU Student, I'm also a CSE major which gives me a ton of Microsoft Software/OS' for free including XP,Vista, and 7

Also if you're having trouble downloading it and burning it to cd or dvd let me know and I can burn one for you.

Since I am not only a OSU Student, I'm also a CSE major which gives me a ton of Microsoft Software/OS' for free including XP,Vista, and 7

Also if you're having trouble downloading it and burning it to cd or dvd let me know and I can burn one for you.

I'll PM you. Thanks.

The first link is just the XP3 update, which requires an existing XP SP2 install to be on the computer already. The second link is for either free 30-day "trial" installs, or copies of the manufacturer's install. That might have worked, but all the links are dead. Maybe there are good links in the 10+ pages of comments left there, but me too lazy to search and read them all. Legal if the Nazi Ware rules are followed.

There should be dell OEM versions floating around on file sharing sites. It should be perfectly fine (legal) to download and use them, with the key on the side of the PC.

That would work, if you get the right one. And it is legal if used legally. No problem.

Also works. I see the same thing at school. Seems like MicroSoft recently started dumping opsys and apps on the schools. Technically need to take a comp sci course to be legal to use. (Not sure about the current rules.) But indeed, the installs are everywhere. edit: The particular type of install still has to match the range of product keys allowed.

All apps and opsys downloads need to be considered infected. If it isn't downloaded from it's original legitimate source. (Like from MicroSoft themselves.) Because some are re-packaged with viruses. Student copies from schools would not be, they are good.

Edited by ReconRat

There are a lot of side programs and etc out there. But if you’re using a "/cough .iso" version of windows. Make sure you don't download the WGA/Windows Genuine Advantage stuff and your fine. Had someone do that and invalidate their version of XP. I fixed it, but just sayin.

There are a lot of side programs and etc out there. But if you’re using a "/cough .iso" version of windows. Make sure you don't download the WGA/Windows Genuine Advantage stuff and your fine. Had someone do that and invalidate their version of XP. I fixed it, but just sayin.

Yeah, pitb. I moved a hard drive from a dead computer to an exact same model, at work, to repair. WGA popped up and said wait, checking MS servers... I guess it gave in when it saw our IP address and machine model type and approved my doing whatever I wanted. I think they have lightened up a bit, and ignore school IP addresses now.

They make mistakes. MS decided my work copy of Vista was pirate, and said so. Popped up on the screen. That particular type of install required a minimum number of computers running it, and we didn't have enough yet. An update fixed it.

Then there's the UUID key... argh...