Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

2 hours ago, durk said:

Also most dairy farmers either raise the bulls born on the farm to be slaughtered for meat or take them to auction to be sold for beef animals. They are still good eating. There just tends to be more waste with a dairy breed (ex: Holstein as pictured in CFA ad). We primarily raise beef animals on our farm and in my wife’s research she found a lot of beef being sold is coming from dairy breeds. We can pick a dairy bull much cheaper than a beef bull for sure, so I can believe her research. 

Ofcourse all the cattle in the ads are productive age cows, so doesn't really apply.

I imagine when you say beef you are referring the hamburger. Dairy breeds don't gain the weight or have the marbling required for a good steak. Old dairy cows are very lean and I would imagine quite tough. I would expect those are only good for animal feed or highly processed foods.  

With most farms using artificial insemination dairy bulls have very little purpose. I imagine they are quite cheap. Most veal comes from dairy breeds because the beef breeds have a higher value as quality meat.

13 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Ofcourse all the cattle in the ads are productive age cows, so doesn't really apply.

I imagine when you say beef you are referring the hamburger. Dairy breeds don't gain the weight or have the marbling required for a good steak. Old dairy cows are very lean and I would imagine quite tough. I would expect those are only good for animal feed or highly processed foods.  

With most farms using artificial insemination dairy bulls have very little purpose. I imagine they are quite cheap. Most veal comes from dairy breeds because the beef breeds have a higher value as quality meat.

I know that the ground beef sold at Costco is bull meat, for what that's worth.

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

You can actually get steaks from dairy breeds- Holstein, Brown Swiss. The animal needs to be fed properly so you do get marbling. It does often seem to take longer to feed out a dairy animal. I’m talking a bull/steer not an old milk cow. The problem often with a dairy breed is the waste. What I mean by that is we recently slaughtered a beef steer that weighed 1180lbs live weight. After he was slaughtered and ready to be butchered he weighed 799lbs. That is about 68% of his live weight which is above average. In talking to a local farmer that raises dairy steers to sell for beef he is typically getting 58%. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I've owned 26 motorcycles since I started riding on the street.  That's not counting a few random dirt bikes.

My God! And how many cars?

I'm 63 years old and have only owned 9 cars. Just two of them were purchased new.

3 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Give me two fall seasons and get rid of summer. It's mostly bright, hot, and humid, and the days are too freakin' long.

You are pretty special arent you. Give me two fall seasons and get rid of winter. Give me a week of snow around Christmas. I'd be happy as a clam.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

My God! And how many cars?

I'm 63 years old and have only owned 9 cars. Just two of them were purchased new.

Not that many.  I keep cars for 5 or 6 years.  I change bikes a bit more frequently.

13 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

You are pretty special arent you. Give me two fall seasons and get rid of winter. Give me a week of snow around Christmas. I'd be happy as a clam.

That'll work, too! I usually like winter through Christmas, and begin hating it New Year's Day.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yup thats why I added the snow around xmas time :lol:Anything past Dec is for the birds!

When my wife and I shop at Costco in Mayfield Heights during the winter, I always feel terrible watching those poor guys shagging carts out in the parking lot. Gotta be the absolute worst job ever. Freezing cold, winds whipping over the flat terrain, trying to push hundreds of carts thru six inches of snow and ice. Especially nice, too, in the summer months, with the dew point hovering in the 70° range and temps in the 90s. Fuck that! 😅 

17 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

When my wife and I shop at Costco in Mayfield Heights during the winter, I always feel terrible watching those poor guys shagging carts out in the parking lot. Gotta be the absolute worst job ever. Freezing cold, winds whipping over the flat terrain, trying to push hundreds of carts thru six inches of snow and ice. Especially nice, too, in the summer months, with the dew point hovering in the 70° range and temps in the 90s. Fuck that! 😅 

I can think of many worse jobs!

9 hours ago, MSerfozo said:

Going to Angkor Wat tomorrow!  It's been on my bucket list for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Angkor_Wat.jpg

That's a long-assed trip on a moto. Can't wait to see the ride report. Have a great time, and don't forget to pack sunscreen and an M16.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, SpecialEd said:

We're listening . . . :popcorn:

Picking away at frozen cow shit while pieces of it fly all over your face and into your mouth, then Shoveling it into a manure spreader.  This to clear a tunnel that went under a road between pastures.....about 3 feet deep and 100 ft long.  Several times per winter....This is why i later went to college!

14 minutes ago, Qman said:

Picking away at frozen cow shit while pieces of it fly all over your face and into your mouth, then Shoveling it into a manure spreader.  This to clear a tunnel that went under a road between pastures.....about 3 feet deep and 100 ft long.  Several times per winter....This is why i later went to college!

Oh. My. God! 

What kind of work do you do now?

I'll agree there MANY MANY worse jobs than that.  Growing up a in  farming community and doing various industrial job through the years. Pushing carts in a parking lot really isn't that big of a deal. I could make a list but yea there are many.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, SpecialEd said:

We're listening . . . :popcorn:

Growing up on a farm I quickly realized working a manual labor job was easier than working for my dad :D. And that was basically a side job for my dad. 

Like Tim said many agricultural and industrial jobs are way harder and dirtier than pushing a few carts through the snow.

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I'll agree there MANY MANY worse jobs than that.  Growing up a in  farming community and doing various industrial job through the years. Pushing carts in a parking lot really isn't that big of a deal. I could make a list but yea there are many.

Patching/paving roads in the middle of August comes to mind. Also making cold sales calls--commission only, no base salary, i.e., Yellow Pages salesperson. Why are phone books still with us????? I haven't looked at a Yellow Pages ad in decades.

Two of the worst jobs I ever had were.

#1 worst: Dead Chicken Picker: Walk around the nasty chicken houses in Croton picking up dead birds all day. That was it that all the job was. I did it for one week and said "fuck this place".

#2 Material Handler for the pottery. Spend all day long in a shop that is already 120 plus degrees wearing a heat resistant apron and sleeves. Walk into a kiln(that still way too hot to stand) pick up a 60lb-80lb piece  still in the mold carry it 50 ft and set it on a pallet or conveyor. Did that for a month (4 weeks and 1 day)

Cleaning pig barns and stacking bales on a wagon in 90 deg heat was fun too but I did those for several summer when a young teen. 

Edited by 2talltim