Anyone here experienced with fiberglass work?

Earache

I need to have a tank cover made of fiberglass. I have an OEM gas tank that I would like over laid with fiberglass. The pop the dried fiberglass off of the tank so that I have a copy of the top of the tank.

I realize that the cover will be slightly bigger than the tank - the thickness of the glass itself - but that's okay.

I only need the top of the tank done, not the bottom.

Anyone expereinced enough to do this without fucking up the OEM tank? Or have any other ideas? Had also thought of carbon fiber, but didn't know if the expense was worth it or not.

Thanks!

Eric

For the right price I can make this for you. What are you looking to do with the cover?

Do you want the mold ?, or just the finished piece?.

Just a semi-finished piece. I'll take care of the final sanding, paint, etc., so it can be a bit rough - no problems there.

The cover will replace the gas tank, with the fuel being carried elsewhere on the bike. I just need something to cover up the area where the OEM tank is mounted.

I had also thought of just cutting off the bottom of the tank, but I want to eliminate the gas cap and just have the top of the tank smoothed over.

:( buuuuuttttt pleeeaseeeeeeeee!

Nope - looks like poo at the moment. But I'll take picvs of the entire process and maybe post them later. By later, I mean maybe around Spring time or so because I work slower than shit.:p

Yeah I have worked with it a good bit and I actually sold the seat cowl I made for the kawasaki 650r to ermax a few years back, but I swore that I was done with it after the one I did on the buell. It just makes to big of mess for what it is worth. Just get some plastic wrap the tank and then get some painters tape and tape it all off. Then run it down with vasoline and put the fiberglass right over top. The vasoline will allow you to just pull the mold right off.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0617-1.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

The cowl on the ninja I made two of these, there was a lot more work in these then the buell.

seatcowl024.jpg

seatcowl041.jpg

outside003.jpg

decal002.jpg