Pics of your pets...Lets see 'em!

ohdaho

How come no one gives wht_scorpion shit about being a 'cat guy'?

Yea, because his cat would rip your MF'ing face off.

Im thinking that those cats probably dont shit and piss in a box in his house either.

And now a joke:

You know what they call a single guy with a cat?

GAY! :fruit:

• 3 months later...
completely... they are like big cats.. with a scary bark lol... very stubborn.. difficult to train and so on lol but wouldnt have it any other way.. feircly loyal and AMAZING gaurd dog..

Once you go Akita, you never go black. Oops..wait..something like that.

Sake is my second Akita. Before he matured at the 18 month point, I wanted to kick him in his teeth. He was a fucking brat. I even kicked him out of the house once because I couldn't take him anymore. Then I felt bad and went to go look for him. :lol:

He's the perfect dog...barks only when he needs to let me know something is wrong (or there's a cat in the back yard), and is great with children. I wish I could let him go off leash...but that's the nature of the beast.

Akita's are truly independent..they do things not because you told them to, but because they WANTED to. Sometimes I think I'm the one who's been trained.

I can't see me with any other breed.

we are the same way.. they are truely independant, cant ever take em off the leash, unless you wanna go for a run tring to chase em down.. and hope they dont get a burr up the ass and pull you across the planet when they want something...and 18 months is about right for being semi trained lol.... but wont ever look back.. we have loki the husky because he was given to us.. other wise it would be anouther akita.. and as soon as we get a house we will be getting a male japanese akita we a have a really good friend thats a breeder.

im sure you know the background of the akita inu... basically means Bear of Japan.

the males were the hunters help they would back bears into a corner and hold them at bay till the hunter arrived.. and the females would be left at the house with the wife and child and wouldnt let any one but the master into the house

the only think i would be worried about is the influx of people that will want to buy an akita just because of the movie and how pretty they are.. not fully understanding the breed well enough to care for them.. or how to socialize them.. unfortunantly that are in the viscious dog group because of how protective they can be if not socialized... you cant have them around smaller dogs you cant have cats and so on...

That's a really good point. If you don't socialize an Akita at a young age...they get really aggressive and become mental. They are already dog aggressive by nature, and strangers have to pass the 'test'. If you leave an Akita in the back yard and don't make it part of your family, you're asking for trouble.

I foresee a lot of new Akita owners in for a rude awakening. I think most responsible breeders will nip that in the bud..but it's the 'off the radar' breeders who could care less that are going to be the problem.

I've been look for a 2 yr + Akita female to adopt or rescue. I'm not looking to pay $800 for a dog...just want to get one that needs a home. I'm okay with paying $$ to recoup and expenses for the care of the dog...just not trying to make someone a profit while there are other dogs out there who may be put down or seriously need a home. I found the Akitas.org site, but last time I checked there wasn't anything close to me.

did you check out the mideast akita foundation?.. they have a ton! well as of 3-5 months back...

and hopefully they do.. i know that a lot fo petlands and surplusdag retailers dont get them in because of the instinct nature.. which is great.. and our breeder.. WE had to pass the question test to get akira at 6 weeks old... asked us everything before he would let us get her.. and im ok with it.. i wouldnt buy a dog with out knowing all i could about the breed.. but there are just so many impulsive buyers out there that will get into trouble and it could potentially make the akita name bad....

If you mean the midwest akita foundation, that's the site I named earlier, akitas.org. Well, it's called the Midwest Akita Rescue Society. Not sure if that's what you are talking about.

Yeah, they have a lot, but the ones in the CLE area are males. I'm trying to get a female to make the transition easier for my current dog. He should be OK..but he's never had to share his home before.