Cbus Street Racing Death

ReconRat

Pickup trucks racing on James Rd run over car? But motorcycles and wheelies are mentioned as well.

Columbus Dispatch article

Channel 10

S. JAMES ROAD

Driver of convertible hit from behind, dies

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:16 AM

By John Futty

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Bystanders carried a critically injured man from the middle of S. James Road and tried to revive him after a crash last night, but he died later at Grant Medical Center, Columbus police said. The man, whose identity was not released, was thrown from his Honda S2000 convertible, which spun into a tree and burst into flames after it was struck from behind by a pickup truck, said a witness who watched from his front door.

The collision occurred about 8:15 p.m. between E. Broad Street and Elbern Avenue on the East Side.

Horace Jordan Jr., 20, said he and his father were among those who rushed to help the man as he lay near the burning vehicle. Several people carried him to a nearby driveway.

"We were afraid to move him, but the car really started picking up some heat," Jordan said. "A lot of people tried to revive him until the paramedics got there."

The driver of a Ford F-150 pickup truck was transported to a hospital but was not in life-threatening condition. Jordan and other witnesses said that a second pickup truck fled the scene after leaving the road and striking a small tree.

All three vehicles were southbound, and Jordan said it appeared the driver of the convertible was trying to get out of the way of the trucks.

Neighbors said speeding cars, trucks and motorcycles are a nightly problem on the stretch of S. James Road, which has a posted speed limit of 35 mph.

"I complain to police all the time," said Jim Long, who has lived at 122 S. James Rd. for 38 years. "Motorcycles come through here doing wheelies. A lot of cars drag-race through here."

Jordan said he long has feared that he would see a serious crash outside his house.

"It's something I prayed would not happen."

jfutty@dispatch.com

I drove through there last night at 10:30ish and they still had the road closed, and there are always speeding vehicles in both directions. I drive a tow truck for AAA and have picked up some big messes over there, but the police are always out there and people still drive like morons.

Wow, RIP. Sad that the bystander lost his life due to the actions of someone else.

It angers me to no end when that happens, its usually like that with most drunk driving incidents as well, drunk survives, innocent dies. :nono:

Where did you get that from? From what I read and understood, only the driver was killed.

They sorta think the guy that died was just trying to get out of the way, of the trucks that were racing.

I try to stay off of James between Broad and Livingston. Dunno, I just don't go there anymore.

They sorta think the guy that died was just trying to get out of the way, of the trucks that were racing.

I try to stay off of James between Broad and Livingston. Dunno, I just don't go there anymore.

I took Pedro's post as the guy trying to help him was killed as well. Sorry.