Yamahopper!!!!

vw151

After getting some help from Roberts buddy Al (who owns a supermono and a 748RS among other sweet bikes) out near national trails raceway and a few other things the 1980 QT50 yamahopper is running like a top. Carb is rebuilt, new fuel valve, new air cleaner, cleaned out gas cap vent and a rebuilt stator and now it runs solid at 29 to 30mph all day long. Maybe one day I'll get a big exhaust a 60cc bottom end and bigger gearing and get this thing running 45mph. LOL Pics and Video will follow in the next few days. I'll have it registered this week and any of you that see me on the road can laugh your ass off at my 240lb ass riding around on a 50lb noped.

This is what mine looks like except no basket on the front

yamaha-QT-50-red.jpg

It is shaft drive and the drive shaft is also the single sided swing arm. It also has a single side rear shock. It's an oil injection 2 stroke 50cc motor with a mikuni carb. Has working turn signals, lights and horn, speedo, and odo and chrome spoked wheels. The drive train is the same as a yamaha pw50. I only wish it could have been running at vintage. There is always next year. It has 2640 miles on it and I intend to put some miles on it before the end of the season. This thing is hilarious to ride around on.

It was at his house. Sorry. the 748RS was wrecked also, you all really need to get out to Als yamaha shop out on 40 east of here. He has some bad assed bikes. Apparently he raced the supermono for 9 years and actually mortgaged his house to buy it when it came out. This guy is for real.

But seriously. Quit hating on my yamahopper. It's a hoot to ride.

OK OK, let's give the supermono it's due as it is possibly more bad assed than any other bike that we can talk about.

The Ducati Supermono is a lightweight, single-cylinder racing motorcycle made by Ducati. It is named for the Supermono racing class. The Supermono is arguably one of the most collectable Ducatis in any era. Only 65 Supermonos were built by Ducati between 1993 and 1995.

here is the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Supermono

specs

• Single cylinder, four stroke, liquid cooled, fuel injected
  • 549cc (100 x 70mm)
  • 76 bhp @ 10,500 rpm
  • Weight : 267 lbs. (122 kg)
  • Wheels : 17” Cast Magnesium
  • Transmission: 6 speed, chain final drive
  • Maximum speed: 145 mph

Truely an amazing bike. Even more amazing that the guy that owns K&C cycle east of town owns one and raced it up at Mid-OH for 9 years. Apparently it dominated it's class.

Edited by vw151

So, back on topic. The yamahopper is now registered and insured and I took it on it's maiden voyage to bike night last night. Aside from running low of 2 cycle oil and yota having to come save me and having to switch the fuel valve to reserve on the way home and then filling up with .49 gallons of gas it was a flawless trip. The bike ran perfectly and I just learned I need to keep the oil tank topped off before long trips..... err before leaving my neighborhood. It ran a solid 30mph on the flats, as much as maybe 34mph on the downhills and 27ish on the uphills. Pretty good for a 29 year old 2 stroke scooter. Here are some pics I took this morning before heading to work.

Picture192.jpg

Picture193.jpg

Picture195.jpg

I'll have to get my Zuma out and race ya, extra points to for putting that historical plate on a freaking scooter. I noticed your place has a county sticker on it, I have 5 or 6 bikes with historical plates and never received a county sticker with any of them. What did it cost to insure that thing? My Zuma cost $9.47 a year to insure through State Farm.

Edited by fox_racing_guy

Cost me an additional $42 a year on top of my insurance for the ducati. I had the historics left over from a 1971 triumph I used to have. They just let me tranfer them and already had the county sticker on them. I guess I don't have to renew the tags until 2050. Your zuma will kill me. that thing does 30mph on the flats.

I've got about $300 in getting it running. I figure at $.40 per day commuting in gas vs. $2 per day in my VW this thing could pay for itself in gas money savings alone in 186 days or 3000 miles. And it's so much fun.

yeah i can see why you got it, i too would be embarrassed driving a VW. ;) so how does it handle that 45mph speed limit?

It's really not that bad, I just stay in the right lane, go 31 or so and people pass me. Some chick in a focus ficked me off today on 161 in a 45 zone though. I honked at her. Not sure why she flicked me off, I was just going a few blocks and she got around me. WTF is her problem.

I got an open air filter, I want to find an exhaust, jet the carb, change the gearing and hopefully get it to do an honest 45 on the flats, it would be pretty practical then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Is your QT50 registerd as a moped or a motercycle.....I have a 1984 YahamaHopper just redone with a bottom end kit and I am trying to get it taged in dayton but they are giving me problems.                                                   

Thx