National Health Care Bill...A national health scare?

velnarah

so he wants a health care system that is as messed up as the postal system? im confused.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/29/AR2009072903274.html

i really dont know where i stand on this only cuz i dont get where this is going to benefit the people who already have insurance?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ... FOX News ... It can't get more right wing than that. Health Care should be treated as Human Right! http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=6646340600856118396&hl=en&fs=true

Yea because Obama didn't actually say that, Fox hired a look alike and made their own video and just passed it off as real.:rolleyes:

I love how Fox always gets the rap for being incredibly biased (which it sometimes is) but all the other networks that drool over Obama and look to slam anyone who disagrees with him are just as moderate and fair and un biased as can be. :wtf:

To top it off you post a Michael Moore video :nono: wow just fucking wow :nono:

Edited by Vulcan_Rider

All i know is that we need to fix the system but this bill is certainly not the way to do it. Im not going to say i can come up with anything better because i dont have the background to figure it all out and I will not act like I do. But the people that can figure something out need to think of something better than complete gov't take over with so many restrictions/taxes/... well... BS. That is not a good thing. Capitalism is falling apart with all this gov't control.

Yea because Obama didn't actually say that, Fox hired a look alike and made their own video and just passed it off as real.:rolleyes:

I love how Fox always gets the rap for being incredibly biased (which it sometimes is) but all the other networks that drool over Obama and look to slam anyone who disagrees with him are just as moderate and fair and un biased as can be. :wtf:

To top it off you post a Michael Moore video :nono: wow just fucking wow :nono:

lol that is exactly what I was thinking... ehmmm yeah fox must have edited the video for him to say that. Michael Moore is so credible, I'm going to Cuba to get my next kidney transplant, their system is GGRRRREAT!

SNN1525U_280_372251a.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

so Baucus released his bill today and I'm just curious as to what everyone's feelings are on having their healthcare benefits taxed as earned income? I've heard estimates it could take up to an additional 20% of your paycheck. If it was that serious, I think I'd cancel my health insurance and invest in an HSA. I just know the last thing I want is to pay more taxes on a system that already works for me (i know it might not work for everyone else) to provide healthcare for other people.

its not up on library of congress or senate website yet... here's what your favorite website huffington post had to say :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/16/health-care-bill-baucus-s_n_288218.html

some highlights of the article...

People insured through large employers would not see major changes, but some of their health care benefits would be nicked to help pay for the cost of the plan. The Baucus proposal would limit to $2,000 a year the amount people can contribute to flexible spending accounts, which are used to cover copayments and deductibles not paid by their employers. That provision would raise $16.5 billion over 10 years.

Everyone covered through an employer would learn the full costs of their health benefits, which starting next year would be reported on employees' W-2 tax forms. Although family coverage averages about $13,000 a year most workers don't know how much their employer is paying.

Not carrying insurance could result in a steep fine, as much as $3,800 per family, or $950 for an individual. People who can't afford their premiums would be exempted from the fine.

The plan proposes a $6 billion annual fee on health insurance providers, which would recoup some of the profits the companies expect to make from millions of new taxpayer-subsidized customers.

Unlike the health care bill written by majority Democrats in the House, which permanently rolls back scheduled cuts in Medicare payments to doctors, the Baucus plan only suspends the reductions for one year. That trims more than $100 billion from the cost of the bill, but has already led to criticism from the American Medical Association.

The legislation makes no changes in medical malpractice laws. It does incorporate Obama's call for federal funds for state experiments on alternatives to malpractice lawsuits.

Interesting, but I'd like to read excerpts from the actual bill.

There are some things that I like, some things I can tell were compromised, and some things I'm not fond of. The issue I have is trying to critique the decisions that were made without seeing big picture numbers on what drove these decisions to be made. It's one thing to say $3800 fine for a family without insurance, it's another to understand why the "fine" was the course of action they took, how they arrived at that number, what data was available, and what assumptions were made.

Dude, McCain is twittering now... if he can use the interwebs, Congresspeople should know at least how to delegate to an aide or something.

"Hey you, page. Put this up on your Facebook or something. The people want to read it"

What the hell do you think McCain is doing? An aide probably has to run his Facebook wall posts past someone in McCain's (or anyone else for that matter) staff before they are posted. Hence the latest copout excuse "It wasn't me, it was an overzealous staffer!"

:dunno: I just saw him on some talk show asking him about why he was on Twitter... his response was something to the effect of "It's the latest greatest form of open communication in this technological age."

I assume if he's capable of ordering an aide to do it for him, congresspeople can too.

I wasn't really paying attention as I was 'indisposed' at the time. :)

Edited by JRMMiii

If we really want to curb illegal immigration, let's make hiring illegals a hangable offense. Redirect some of the ICE money to the IRS for research-- they see companies' records more than anyone else, they can flag anomalous records (instead of just sending 'please send another SSI number' letters).

They're here for jobs, and if people are too terrified to hire them (at least in any large numbers) they're most likely going to go back home. I don't have anything personal against these people (I'd be doing the same thing to feed my family, if I had to), but we have our own problems here, and we're not in a position to absorb Mexico's economic hardship as well. So, if we're going to get our own house in order, we need to reduce the flooding in the labor market. Stopping companies from hiring illegally seems much easier than trying to hunt down and deport 11 million individuals.

I wouldn't be opposed to simultaneously raising the numbers of legal immigrants we'd accept, but people would need to go home and get in line to qualify.

Edited by Aerik

I'm not opposed to immigrants. Hell' date=' we are all here as a byproduct of immigration. It's the whole 'jumping in line' business that is bad news. Get in line, wait your turn, get documented and then "Welcome to America, Brother!" We can't just open the borders and let anyone walk in at will or random. That is a HUGE national security risk. Far greater than any racism or ill will towards Mexicans that I may harbor for wanting secure borders. :rolleyes:[/quote']

+1! Come on over, but do it legally. Thats all i ask. Dont drain our system by doing everything the wrong way.

Will someone please think of the poor insurance companies...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/041b5acaf5/protect-insurance-companies-psa

Blocked at work for me...and since I work for a major health care provider, I find it rather hilarious.

I'll tell you this..there was an internal email going around about a planned demonstration in front of our headquarters ...and the company is not in favor of reform. For obvious reasons.