National Health Care Bill...A national health scare?

velnarah

Your problem is thinking along buy American made lines. First I couldn't careless if it's American made if it isn't up to snuff. Second, it's a global market. We're not isolationists and the bigger picture needs to be realized. You don't think Honda and Toyota contribute a TON to America and its economy? Ford fails...fuck 'em. GM fails...fuck 'em. etc. Don't get me wrong given two equals I'll pick American every time, but it's not my job to lower my standards, it's their job to raise theirs.

See, what I guess I'm not articulating correctly (probably because I'm doing three other things and writing a term paper at the same time) is that I would feel justified in using my government as a tool to push our companies up to some kind of modern standards, then giving them our support through the trade policies once they prove they can handle their shit.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned- I think countries have a right to promote their own industries within their borders, and to strive for some kind of self-sufficiency. I'm not calling for all-out isolationism, but I do have a problem with the idea of having large parts of our economy driven by companies headquartered outside of our borders, and depending on them to exhibit loyalty they don't have and we can't enforce.

Not that I'm some kind of nationalist lunatic; I have no problem with Honda as a company (despite my generally pro-union views), indeed, I like my Shadow just fine. I have no problem with foreign companies, countries, or people in general (any more than I have with ALL people).

I guess I just want to have my own house in order, and I think it's worth the effort to use any means at our disposal to get our shit together. And letting an entire American industry die without a fight just doesn't sit well with me.

As I type this, I'm looking around my desk and realizing that my smokes and the Mountain Dew can in front of me are the only US-made products I can see from here. Hell, the little .38 in the drawer was made in Brazil. :eek:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If GM' date=' Chrysler and Ford were allowed to fail a new company, a better company, would step into their shoes.[/quote']

See, I don't know-- A new company would need a hell of a running start to compete with Honda and Toyota here. They'd likely get squashed like a bug.

I'm inclined to think it more likely that Honda or someone would buy up some of the GM or Ford facilities and assets; others would do like factories all over the country: they'd rot, or be used as bigass flea markets.

but the Asians have Detroit beat all over the place. There's no comparison' date=' in my arrogant opinion.[/quote']

In the small-car classes, no doubt. I'd like to see us do something about that.

Having said that, however, I'll gladly pit my F-150 in a deathmatch against any similar-sized Japanese truck. But only if I get to riddle the loser with bulletholes afterward for having the audacity to test my oversized, gas-guzzling, beasty suburban battle-tank when clearly outclassed.

:p

That's right, I'm a liberal with guns AND a totally unnecessary gas-hog! Shit! Bad liberal! Bad!

As long as you wear your hemp sandals when you drive it, you're ok. That's how I get away with having a gas guzzling truck and guns too.

(j/k... I don't really have hemp sandals)

Lmao, I haven't worn anything but combat boots or work boots since I was 15. I do own a pair of tennis shoes, but I bought them to work out in and... well... I live on cigarettes and coffee. Fuck working out. I don't run from shit, because I can't run fast. (yes, that's actually a Geto Boyz quote, I went there.)

I know I know, ANOTHER video... I figured I'd post it in this thread even tho' it does deserve its own thread... the last thing we need is another healthcare thread.

Background info: Democratic congressman holds town hall meeting. Guy asks questions about Healthcare and the congressman yells at him for being an "astroturfer" and says he's only there to answer questions from his constituents.

Turns out, the guy is a doctor, AND lives in his district, IS a democrat, AND has called the congressman's office several times to set up meetings to no avail. Sounds like this dem just wants to shove this legislation down without listening to anyone's opposing view.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/back-story/2009/aug/08/georgia-democrat-rages-against-local-doctor-over-h/

I can understand the outburst because of recent events of ignorant questions meant specifically to derail events, but I still wouldn't condone this behavior.

No matter what party you're affiliated with, the questions need to be addressed and the question (although leading) was something the congressman should've had, at the very least, a canned answer for or an answer that redirected. Not that I condone those answers either (lack of substance), but it's more professional to steer things that way than to start yelling at constituents. :nono: He should've known and handled things better.

Everyone one needs to realize things cannot keep going the way they are.

Premature babys receiving 100's of thousands of dollars of care.

90 year olds receiving hip replacements.

50 year olds receiving their 3rd by pass surgery

MRI's for sprained ankles and twisted knees

Wake up people it has gotta stop.

If you want the best care in the world your gonna pay for it.

Personally I don't have a problem with a committee deciding on health care. Drug or alcohol addicts have diseases caused by their addiction denied.

3rd bypass denied, you can't change your lifestyle enough to correct it then you don't deserve it. Have another wing and beer.

I have a guy I work with that gets MRI's 3-4 times a year cause he gets a little dizzy. Please that's $20k for his test and I am paying for it.

Take into account standing in the community, arrest record, health record and family history.

Netherlands they do it. They will tell patience flat out no. If you want care you pay for it out of your own pocket.

I live a healthy active lifestyle. I get my annual physical and blood work. Even with my sons ahsma we haven't spent $500 this year.

what about people that get HIV? should we deny them care too because of their social deviance? Or cancer? Shouldn't have smoked, now you can't get chemo... I'm just playing devil's advocate. I know where you're coming from, I don't want to pay for some chicks abortion or someone's drug rehab, or atherosclerosis cause they eat at McD's 10 times a week.

In the Netherlands it is just like court. A panel of peers judge your worthiness and cost verses benefit.

a 90 year old will not get a bunch of expensive treatment.

An crack addict won't get much either.

Socially diseases....Wrap that rascal is all I have to say.

At least with a panel of your peers you have a fighting chance. The idots in goberment and the insurance company refer to the chart and then deny your claim or precertification.

Judgmental??????

You fail to understand that there is no free lunch.

A homeless guy sprains his ankle and gets a $5k MRI who pays for it?

Health care is rapidly becoming a privelage for the rich.

As far as family members being sick. My wife had Hodgkin disease about 20 years ago. It is a cancer of the lymph nodes, her exact diagnosis was lymphoma nodular sclerosis.

She was treated for 2 years.

It included 8 rounds of chemo. 28 visits to the linear accelerator. about 4 months in her red blood cell count crashed and she was in the hospital for three weeks. Then they started the neubogen shots at $900 each, they were new and kinda experimental and not covered. She had 8 rounds of 5 shots each.

CT's at $7k a piece just to take a look. She had 3 in 5 days.

She is fine but I came out owning the Oncologist $12,247 The hospital $8623 The radiology group $9,000 something. this was after my insurance paid.

I was 23 years old just out of college when this happened. It took me 7 years to pay is all off. I have a pretty good understanding of health care and how it works.

the costs for scans are over-inflated...

I used to work for a company that made CT scanners and MRI Scanners

when you pay for a scan, you're paying for A LOT of downtime...

The scanners get used very seldom and are "designed" to be run pretty much 24/7

Brand new top of the line scanner will run just north of a million dollars a piece.

Them charging $5,000 for a 5 minute scan...means they have the thing purchased in 17 hours of scan time, beyond that they are just paying for the electricity.

(for the record, if you seen what went on INSIDE a CT scanner, you might just think twice about sticking your head in there, there is about 1000 lbs of steel and components whirring about your body at 300 rpm, it's pretty crazy seeing one of those things run with no covers on. I didn't want to be in the same room, let alone anywhere near the bore)

Edited by magley64

100% against that idea. The Big 3 won't compete when there's competition. What do you think we'll get if they're the only kids on the block? If you think a Dodge Stratus couldn't get any shittier think about the idea of zero reason to innovate and excell. I'd have to buy the shitty Detroit ride or pay a fucking bullshit tariff to own a quality automobile? Get outta' hear with that nonsense. Now you're just talking crazy talk. Rewarding their poor performance by removing the competition?? Surely' date=' you don't think that's a wise idea.[/quote']

Rep for you

AARP meeting on Universal Healthcare, HAHA a little long but you get the idea within the first two minutes.

I'd bother paying attention if the video wasn't highly edited and 'captioned'. I'm not doubting the content, but when I see on the screen "AARP decided to stop listening to members and stop the meeting", I smell bullshit. Was it because the members were being dicks and not having a civil discussion, or did AARP say FUCK YOU and walk out?

These Twon Halls are becoming a circus. Just debate/discuss like human beings..no need for the theatrics.

Well if you haven't noticed, the price of postage has gone up consistently and quite a bit over the past few years (percent increase). The postal system is actually headed for bankruptcy as well. Thats why they're trying to cut back their delivery days to M-F. In fact, the postal service is having trouble competing with the "private sector". And the postal service was around well before the private sector was...

Has anyone ever quoted themselves!? Well I thought what Obama said was funny cause I totally called this like 10 days ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTi-WdOu2s