First year rider! well trying

mrbumpz

Hey Everyone! Im Jeff and im new to teh 2 wheel scene. For my first bike a chose a 98 GSX-R 750 SRAD. lol Bike is a freeking headache.. I havent ridden in a month. I love it dont get me wrong, i havent been scared on the road in aa long time so its nice to have my reflexes exercised! Im acctualyl looking for a regulator for it. Of course after ive replaced the battery and stator already.:confused:

Im in pickerington if any handy Bike mechanics wanna help me with this beast. Ive been workign on cars for years and i havent felt this stupid since i first started workign on them. LOL im totaly lost

** but nice to meet everyone, and i hope my rablings arent that bad

Why are you looking to replace the regulator? You chasing something specific?

Oh' date=' and welcome. Don't get hurt on that bike.. it's a lot of engine for a first ride.[/quote']

Yeah like a month ago i was riding and the gauges just went needle down and it dies. So i bought a stator and alternator and its still doing the same thing. Ive been trying to figure out why the heck she wont change.. only thing i havent replaced is the regulator. other than that with my absolute lack of Motorcycle repair experiance im lost on how to check :(

careful on that bike and welcome...I have a late 90's honda so i'm well versed in charging problems, but no where near you. R/R should be a 20 minute fix, easy to test to if you have a Clymer or something that can give you baseline readings. Alot of folks replace the Honda units with Suzuki or yammie units so they probably are pretty close, rip that bad boy off break out the ohmeter and post the results, gotta be someone on here with a working unit that can be compared to also. Probably grab one on ebay for like 20-30 bucks if yours was bad. Oh yeah and if you think the R/R is bad don't run the bike or you'll cook that nice new battery you just bought!

Mabey that is it. I cleaned the connector and pull all the wires out of it and wired them directly. I was left with 1 wire that had no mat (black with red stripe) yeah when i first put the new stator in i had to jump the bike,, While jumping it the stator connector attached to the harness melted :( i m gonna hard wire it tongiht. but I replaced the battery and the stator wire got realy hot after riding it for about 20 mins then of course the bike died again. What kind of reading should i be looking for? and i have a volt meter but am unsure what setting to have it on to test? lol i feal like such a newb when it comes to this

I don't have the manual handy here @ work, but there should basically be a certain resistance between the plugs that connect to the stator (this is all on the Regulator rectifier itself, what the yellows connect to maybe) and to the hot (red?) in ONE direction and to the ground (black or green) on the other direction. and I believe there should be no continuity between the yellows on the RR? Like I said I have to check. Also on the wires from the stator there should be no continuity from the those to ground either. So put that multi meter in Ohms disconnected the battery and take some readings. See if you can find a shop manual on-line for the gixxer, in the "charging system" section it should have some baseline readings you can take. I can check mine when I get home and give you a little better idea...but like I said different makes so a specific manual might be better.

Mabey that is it. I cleaned the connector and pull all the wires out of it and wired them directly. I was left with 1 wire that had no mat (black with red stripe) yeah when i first put the new stator in i had to jump the bike,, While jumping it the stator connector attached to the harness melted :( i m gonna hard wire it tongiht. but I replaced the battery and the stator wire got realy hot after riding it for about 20 mins then of course the bike died again. What kind of reading should i be looking for? and i have a volt meter but am unsure what setting to have it on to test? lol i feal like such a newb when it comes to this

If it gets hot then it is passing a lot of current [amps].

This is bad.

What it means is that there is a short somewhere along the wire.

If the stator connect to the regulator, (which it has to,just don't know how it's wired) a shorted regulator sounds very possible.

Regulators in theory have three wires. (Never seen a GSXR so yours may be different)

1 ground

2 battery

3 alternator

Disconnect the regulator from the wiring harness so you are only measuring it, not the rest of the wiring harness.

An resistance (OHM) Meter connected from ground to either of the other wires should have a high reading, several thousand ohms. Even if you reverse the meters wires you should still have a high reading.

If you have a low reading the regulator is a suspect for that short you are looking for.

If it gets hot then it is passing a lot of current [amps].

This is bad.

What it means is that there is a short somewhere along the wire.

If the stator connect to the regulator, (which it has to,just don't know how it's wired) a shorted regulator sounds very possible.

Regulators in theory have three wires. (Never seen a GSXR so yours may be different)

1 ground

2 battery

3 alternator

Disconnect the regulator from the wiring harness so you are only measuring it, not the rest of the wiring harness.

An resistance (OHM) Meter connected from ground to either of the other wires should have a high reading, several thousand ohms. Even if you reverse the meters wires you should still have a high reading.

If you have a low reading the regulator is a suspect for that short you are looking for.

I am not sure on his bike but there should be 3 wires coming out of the stator and 5 wires out of the rectifier/regulator. The three wires coming out of the stator are AC and the Rectifier/regulator has a 12v+ a ground and the three from the stator

Welcome! The 750 is a great first bike! You are 100% correct on the replacing the rect. Does it get warm at all while its running? They go bad on the GSXR's allot.

Yeah it sure as shit does get hot. Thats the plug that melted.. so I guess my next question is where is there a good place to get parts in ohio?

Patty never has Nada for my bike