Glenn Beck - Common Sense

dmagicglock

from wiki

"The Party believed that Social Welfare was the business of the State. Before the Nazi movement, the churches administered charity. The government enforced a collection of a 10% tithe which was paid directly to the churches. This charitable bureaucracy was shifted to the State."

looks like we're both wrong or both right? as it also says

"The Nazi Party is generally described as being at the extreme or far right of the left-right political axis.[6] While the party incorporated elements from both left and right-wing politics, the Nazis formed most of their alliances on the right.[6]"

Yea, they're generally considered far right leaning, although they did grab a few left leaning ideas. IIRC, they had a massive industrial privatizing campaign in the 30's, well before privatization became a popular buzz word. Pretty much everything that the Weimar Republic nationalized they let loose on the private sector.

Ahh, here.

However, recently published works document and analyze a large-scale

privatization policy in 1930s Germany, under Hitler’s government.7 Indeed, between 1934 and

1937, the Nazi regime privatized almost all the firms that had been taken over by the Weimar

government in the early 1930s during the Great Depression.

http://www.ub.edu/irea/working_papers/2009/200915.pdf

Edited by psyco1

• 1 month later...

this just in, acorn losing federal funding for housing now.... Glenn beck is ... effective I suppose. I'm sure acorn will put a bounty on the heads of the "pimp and prostitute" in that took the videos.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/14/senate-votes-cut-acorn-housing-funding/

this just in, acorn losing federal funding for housing now.... Glenn beck is ... effective I suppose. I'm sure acorn will put a bounty on the heads of the "pimp and prostitute" in that took the videos.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/14/senate-votes-cut-acorn-housing-funding/

Didn't anyone tell the liberals that they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them??? :lol:

The BEST part is, they got ANOTHER office in Brooklyn to fall for the gag too....

Sad part is they've received over $53,000,000 in TAXPAYER funds since 1994.

Ah, a Glenn Beck thread. Almost missed this one.

For you fans of Beck, I ask a simple question. Please reconcile this:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-13-2009/glenn-beck-s-operation

Yes, I know it's a TDS link. Yes, I know some of you can't stand Jon Stewart. Don't attack the messenger, it cheapens your argument.

How can someone who himself campaigned so vehemently for healthcare reform suddenly think everything is all OK, and by extension what happened to him is just a part of the system that we have and shouldn't be changed?

Ah, a Glenn Beck thread. Almost missed this one.

For you fans of Beck, I ask a simple question. Please reconcile this:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-13-2009/glenn-beck-s-operation

Yes, I know it's a TDS link. Yes, I know some of you can't stand Jon Stewart. Don't attack the messenger, it cheapens your argument.

How can someone who himself campaigned so vehemently for healthcare reform suddenly think everything is all OK, and by extension what happened to him is just a part of the system that we have and shouldn't be changed?

i think there's a difference between the quality of care and "reform" and giving it away to everyone "for free" via tax dollars. And whether you think its the best or the worst system in the world, its hard to argue that it could sustain the addition of 30 million more people and improve quality. Usually when you increase use/production quality will drop. I'm just trying to reconcile your statement, i'm not trying to change your view or anyone's view on healthcare or get sucked into another healthcare debate or have another 1000 threads dedicated to healthcare.

Besides the fact that its a "Daily Show" post, I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

Lets deal with the first part of that statement...The Daily Show...Comedy Central...John Stewart....Funny Guy....wraps it all up by saying Glen Beck is talking out his ass, everyone laughs.

Apples and Oranges...while we don't have everything Beck said (it was cut for comedic effect), we have what would appear on the surface to be diametrically opposed views - health care in America sucks, and We have the greatest health care in the world. (I'm telling you, one trip to a hospital in a foreign country will tell you that we do have the best system in the world. I've been there, and I don't ever want to go again.) Those two statements don't have to be mutually exclusive. If you saw the entire piece (not just the comedy version) I think you'd have found that the driving force in the discussion (from the CNN Days) was that faceless insurance companies are making patient related decisions that should be made by doctors. The plan now is to let faceless Washington bureaucrats (well known for inefficiency and fiscal irresponsibility) make those kind of decisions. That's supposed to improve patient care? Puh-lease....

I think most people would agree that the financial end of the health care equation is way fucked up, but the people on the ground, giving care (doctors and nurses) are by and large doing their best. In the name of saving money and resources (due to large malpractice awards from juries, lack of true competition among insurance companies, cost of care to those who cant pay, dwindling medicare payments to providers, etc.) the quality of care has been reduced.

The question is "how do we fix the part that's broken, without fucking up the part that works?"

i think there's a difference between the quality of care and "reform" and giving it away to everyone "for free" via tax dollars.

Of course there's going to be a difference. The current quality of care, being the status quo, the "reform", which in the mind of the Republicans will be no different than the health care "reform" of Clinton (of which Hillary failed epically) and the complete whitewash of Bush, which landed a few senators into cushy pharma lobbying jobs, and the evil, scary Obama plan, which will have much better quality of care once the death panels start whacking all the elderly population that tie up all the hot nurses so they can give me a sponge bath when I get an owie. Which leads me to...

And whether you think its the best or the worst system in the world, its hard to argue that it could sustain the addition of 30 million more people and improve quality.

I would not presume to debate you on this, because you are absolutely correct. In no way can the current for-profit, cover our ass at all costs even if it means overtesting and overmedicating the shit out of you system possibly take the burden of an additional 30 million people.

THAT'S WHY IT DOESN'T WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE. THIS is the fundamental reason why it needs to be changed.

Usually when you increase use/production quality will drop.

I happen to work for a manufacturing company, so this tickles me a little. Yes, when you increase production volume, quality will drop. It will drop as briefly or as long as it takes for you to find the weak links in your process, and tighten that shit up. However, we aren't making doctors on the assembly line here.

I'm just trying to reconcile your statement, i'm not trying to change your view or anyone's view on healthcare or get sucked into another healthcare debate or have another 1000 threads dedicated to healthcare.

dmagicglock, you should know by now that this isn't about changing anyone's view, it's about a healthy discourse without all the OBAMA'S A SEKRET MOOSLIM! jibba-jabba that seems to be so prevalent nowadays. And if you didn't want to get sucked into a debate, you wouldn't have responded to my post. :)

So seriously, how does someone go from using his national talk show as a podum to demand complete health care reform to vehemently defending the current system in 16 months?

easy... the one clip was when he was on CNN headline news and the other clip is when he's on Fox. You gotta play to your audience mang

So you agree that Fox's news plays to the conservative bias of their audience? Wouldn't that render "fair and balanced" moot and false advertising and violate journalistic integrity? Wouldn't that essentially make them an "entertainment" show and not a news program? Kinda like how TDS has "news", but is first and foremost an entertainment show?

So you agree that Fox's news plays to the conservative bias of their audience? Wouldn't that render "fair and balanced" moot and false advertising and violate journalistic integrity? Wouldn't that essentially make them an "entertainment" show and not a news program? Kinda like how TDS has "news", but is first and foremost an entertainment show?

no I was just saying that cause i thought thats what you wanted to hear, and i was right :D

I can't speak for why glenn felt this way or that way, other than I think the john stewart show may have taken his personal experience out of context versus his comments about "reform" aka government handout. You can call it bias, but look at the ratings... I think the american people will watch "fair and balanced" anyday over the Obama news network or other state run media networks because they're better at being more objective or at least offering a different view than the other 3 cable networks. (and for what its worth, I like to get a lot of my news from headline news because usually they're the most objective [but sometimes slip in some liberal bias] because its about news and not political commentary)

CABLE NEWS RACE

FRI., SEPT 11, 2009

FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,212,000

FOXNEWS HANNITY 2,644,000

FOXNEWS BECK 2,544,000

FOXNEWS BAIER 1,968,000

FOXNEWS SHEP 1,705,000

MSNBC OLBERMANN 1,067,000

MSNBC MADDOW 948,000

CNN BLITZER 889,000

CNN KING 875,000

However, we aren't making doctors on the assembly line here.

Just wondering, what if you DID make doctors on the assembly line?

Or what if you just made the Doc's and Nurses employees of the "state"

Heyyyyy.....wait a minute....THAT sounds like Germany. Health care is free over there, dontcha know....

What does health care for everyone cost in Germany?

Employee contribution - 7%-8%

Employer Contribution - 8%

Maximum out of pocket per covered individual 5,200 Euro.

Doctors are by and large "state" employees, although due to the burdens on the system the "state" is now training Doctors to become "entrepreneurs" and take "paying" customers. There's also a big push to get the "wealthy" people into "private" insurance.

Yeah...that free health care really IS free.